Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Impressions after Renting a Range Rover HSE

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 05:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO, it's hard to beat the way the LX is built on the inside
Really?!? IMHO they are actually quite cheap inside. Lots of hard plastic and questionable materials.

BTW, I know I need to sample a RR myself. if possible, I might do that in the near future, even though I don't have any review-requests for it. I've tried to once or twice in the past, but the supply/demand situation for RRs in the D.C. area usually mean very few in stock, especially unsold ones. And, obviously, people need money to buy these things, as they start at roughly 100K....though I suspect that the majority of them, even in the D.C. area here with lots of money, are leased.
Leases aren't great on RRs, and for tax purposes people with businesses actually need to buy them to get the Section 179 accelerated depreciation.
Old 04-14-19, 05:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am interested to see where Toyota goes with their body on frame models
I know this is a contentious subject, but I assume you mean the C-channel frames?

they have had a very long time to watch and think things through and see where the market goes. I really hope they don’t mess up their past ways of doing their body on frames as I have always found them very satisfying and quite appealing.
IMO, they need to do a lot of work with the Tacoma. Not impressed at all with the ones I saw at the show last week, although the Ford Ranger, an 8-year-old Australian design transplanted to the American market, was not much better, and GM's Colorado/Canyon puts both of them to shame. GM, overall, really does a nice job on how they design vehicles, if they could only get some of the reliability gremlins out.....that's the one area where Toyota is clearly superior.
Old 04-14-19, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Tacoma still sells a ton though...
Old 04-14-19, 05:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I know this is a contentious subject, but I assume you mean the C-channel frames?

IMO, they need to do a lot of work with the Tacoma. Not impressed at all with the ones I saw at the show last week, although the Ford Ranger, an 8-year-old Australian design transplanted to the American market, was not much better, and GM's Colorado/Canyon puts both of them to shame. GM, overall, really does a nice job on how they design vehicles, if they could only get some of the reliability gremlins out.....that's the one area where Toyota is clearly superior.
I don’t think they need to do a lot of work. It needs a full redesign. But there are lots of things to like about the Tacoma. If you like past Toyota trucks from the 80s, the Tacoma is starting to go back to that type of appeal. Glad they put the new height adjustments in for the drivers on the 2020 models.
Old 04-14-19, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t think they need to do a lot of work. It needs a full redesign.
Yes, I agree......that is basically what I meant. But, even Toyota's vast development funds (arguably the largest ones in the auto industry) are not limitless, and, short of that, at least a new interior. Lexus managed that for the mid-cycle 2010 update for the ES, in response to complaints about the cheapening of the interior after 2006/2007. They also did mid-cycle work, in 2016, on the Avalon's suspension/tires and interior after the complaints with the 2013/2014 redesign.

But there are lots of things to like about the Tacoma.
....until you sit in or drive a Colorado/Canyon. Agreed, though, the GM trucks will, on average, spend more time in the repair shop.

I really like the smaller, 2Gen GMC Acadia, in Denali trim....in some ways, more than the Buick Enclave. If I had to, for any reason, move from my Lacrosse into any SUV on the market short of perhaps 100K, that would probably be it. But the reliability horror-stories in the Acadia forums (which I've read), and CR ranking it as one of the 10 Most Unreliable Vehicles in the American market, give me great pause and concern...and GMC's standard factory warranty is a year shorter than Buick's in both departments.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-14-19 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 06:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

About the Range Rover remember...
Old 04-14-19, 07:28 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 469 Likes on 295 Posts

Smaller sample sizes don't mean much. but our Lexus actually once left us stranded, and we've never had anything other than minor stuff with all our JLR vehicles.

As Steve says, the full-size RR is tremendous to drive. It's an incredibly capable vehicle, and RR owners are much more likely to take their cars off-road than some might think. The full-size RR does compete with the LC/LX, but only up to a point - you can get a RR with an MSRP more than twice that of the LC/LX. Not that mine was haha.

It's notable that the bashing comes mainly from non-owners. Owners by and large really do like their Range Rovers - and very much so.
Old 04-14-19, 07:53 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Smaller sample sizes don't mean much. but our Lexus actually once left us stranded, and we've never had anything other than minor stuff with all our JLR vehicles.

As Steve says, the full-size RR is tremendous to drive. It's an incredibly capable vehicle, and RR owners are much more likely to take their cars off-road than some might think. The full-size RR does compete with the LC/LX, but only up to a point - you can get a RR with an MSRP more than twice that of the LC/LX. Not that mine was haha.

It's notable that the bashing comes mainly from non-owners. Owners by and large really do like their Range Rovers - and very much so.
pretty much anyone i know or know of that has owned a land rover / range rover product describes it as a very love hate relationship since they can be so unreliable yet are pretty much in a class of their own when they're working

there's really nothing else that can deliver the range rover experience like the range rover... the land cruiser / LX will never be able to match the range rover's on road driving manners considering it's still essentially decades old (and hopefully stays that way for decades more) when the range is unibody and meant to be much more modern

if someone handed me the keys to a new supercharged V8 range rover and a new LX 570 and said don't worry everything's covered now go have fun for the day, i'm definitely picking the range... but if someone said you have limited resources to keep one of these running for the next 25 years, no question it'd be the land cruiser
Old 04-14-19, 08:01 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Land Cruiser is a different targeted buyer, but same income level if not higher than a RR. LX and RR compete together. Neither are better than a Navigator.
The income levels are not even close. A fully loaded full size RR (excluding the $500k Sentinel) is more than twice the price of an LX and Land Cruiser. All full size RR owners could buy the lower priced LX or Land Cruiser.

In 2005 RR had the highest SUV buyer avg income level at $300k with a max price of $89k (source: automotive news). In 2015, the Land Rover brand’s avg income level was $450k (source:Bloomberg). No specific numbers for RR in the article. I suspect the RR average was higher than $450k because the Evoque and Discovery buyers most likely lowered the average. Sticking with 2015, the avg income level for the LX was at $350k (source: media post).

Last edited by kwr; 04-14-19 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 09:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
The income levels are not even close. A fully loaded full size RR (excluding the $500k Sentinel) is more than twice the price of an LX and Land Cruiser. All full size RR owners could buy the lower priced LX or Land Cruiser.

In 2005 RR had the highest SUV buyer avg income level at $300k with a max price of $89k (source: automotive news). In 2015, the Land Rover brand’s avg income level was $450k (source:Bloomberg). No specific numbers for RR in the article. I suspect the RR average was higher than $450k because the Evoque and Discovery buyers most likely lowered the average. Sticking with 2015, the avg income level for the LX was at $350k (source: media post).
Thanks for the info. I do remember when the 08 LC and LX were brought to market, Toyota said the average income was $250K and $450 for each, it was in their press releases. I was not aware that the average income was that high for LR.
Old 04-14-19, 09:32 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stroock639
pretty much anyone i know or know of that has owned a land rover / range rover product describes it as a very love hate relationship since they can be so unreliable yet are pretty much in a class of their own when they're working

there's really nothing else that can deliver the range rover experience like the range rover... the land cruiser / LX will never be able to match the range rover's on road driving manners considering it's still essentially decades old (and hopefully stays that way for decades more) when the range is unibody and meant to be much more modern

if someone handed me the keys to a new supercharged V8 range rover and a new LX 570 and said don't worry everything's covered now go have fun for the day, i'm definitely picking the range... but if someone said you have limited resources to keep one of these running for the next 25 years, no question it'd be the land cruiser
Yep, the JLR reputation for reliability isn’t plucked out of thin air, there are clearly some issues. Ive not had too many problems, and nothing major when I did, but the data doesn’t lie.

The data doesnt account, however, for how much owners like the cars. For the vast majority of the time, they are quite exquisite machines.
Old 04-15-19, 07:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kwr
A fully loaded full size RR (excluding the $500k Sentinel) is more than twice the price of an LX and Land Cruiser. All full size RR owners could buy the lower priced LX or Land Cruiser.
No offense, but where do you get a comparison like that? While options, of course, can affect the prices, both the LX and Land Cruiser start out at 85-86K. Range Rovers start at 89K, and the Sport models at only 68K.
Old 04-15-19, 07:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Really?!? IMHO they are actually quite cheap inside. Lots of hard plastic and questionable materials.
IMO noticeably better, however, especially in fit/finish, than any other Lexus product displayed at the show....yes, including the latest LS. It was one of the few newer Lexus products I wasn't disappointed to look at.
Old 04-15-19, 10:56 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639

Agree 100%. As much as i've enjoyed my time with both the Range Rover Sport and full size Range Rover, their reputation for being hit or miss on the reliability front is tough to overcome. I've even considered leasing a CPO offering but the numbers still seemed a bit on the high side (please don't throw too many tomatoes my way for that last comment lol).

I don't have much experience with the newer Land Cruisers or the new Lincoln Navigator but i'm sure they are great in their own right. The Range Rover definitely commands a premium price, but it does have a lot of features even on the lowest priced trims. I did drive the previous generation with the NA 375hp V8 and it was thirsty, but pulled strong. I haven't driven any Range Rover with the supercharged V8 but imagine that would be a whole heap of fun
Old 04-15-19, 12:42 PM
swajames
Pole Position

No offense, but where do you get a comparison like that? While options, of course, can affect the prices, both the LX and Land Cruiser start out at 85-86K. Range Rovers start at 89K, and the Sport models at only 68K.
The Range Rover Autobiography has a U.S. MSRP of $209,500, before options are added.

You can't buy a 200K plus LC/LX off the lot.

Quick Reply: Impressions after Renting a Range Rover HSE