Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Latest Chrysler quality issue...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 09:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It is likely going to get worse if not flat out eventually peel/chip off depending on how serious the issue is. There likely was some kind of issue with the paint/primer bonding in that area and it is now lifting from either exposure to weather, UV, being shut, etc. I would get it taken care of, when you sell someone will definitely notice that. Just demand a rental and insist on a perfect color match.
Old 04-08-19, 10:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

looks like there was paint damage there to me (like a stone hit it, or shopping cart, etc.) and that's causing the paint failure.

if it's not that though and a straight up paint failure i'd for sure be getting the dealer to fix it or maybe even just document it so it's not an issue at trade-in if leased.
Old 04-08-19, 11:21 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Now that we're 10 years into the FCA era....has there been any improvement in quality over the Daimler era?
Old 04-08-19, 12:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks like there was paint damage there to me (like a stone hit it, or shopping cart, etc.) and that's causing the paint failure.

if it's not that though and a straight up paint failure i'd for sure be getting the dealer to fix it or maybe even just document it so it's not an issue at trade-in if leased.
Its a common problem, not a rock chip
Old 04-08-19, 12:38 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

What about the factory corrosion warranty?
Old 04-08-19, 04:07 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

well it's not like the hood fell off or anything so i say this is pretty good for chrysler
Old 04-08-19, 05:45 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems to be an issue:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...n_Hood_Corrosi

But on another note I have personal experience driving several models of the Dodge Caravan from 2010 to 2013 with various miles including one that's at over 300K (km). That includes driving in hard winter conditions with sanding/gravel trucks ahead of me. Never seen this on them. So something's wrong with this particular Pacifica. Guess getting the upmarket version appears to not get you better quality control.
Old 04-08-19, 07:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Still say the Sienna is the best in class.

From CR:

sienna. 79
kia. 74
pacifica 60
odyssey 58
Old 04-08-19, 08:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
having driven and shopped them all extensively, no way I would say that

Without the reliability and quality issues we'd be very satisfied with our Pacifica.
Old 04-09-19, 07:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Without the reliability and quality issues we'd be very satisfied with our Pacifica.
Yes, that's the same way I feel about the Lacrosse. Besides the climate-control temperature problem (which was fixed), I ended up with one of the earlier-production 9-speeds that had an underside spacer-plate in a valve-body, affecting some shift-quality at certain temperatures and conditions. But it may (?) not be a big enough issue, enough of the time, to risk a major transmission teardown and repair/rebuild.

On the Pacifica, you are certainly not alone. Despite its QC issues (which, according to Consumer Reports, have been mostly in vehicle-electronics), a lot of people like this vehicle....118,000+ were sold in each of the last two years, and an additional 23,000+ in just the last three months.

http://fcauthority.com/fiat-chrysler...sales-numbers/
Old 04-09-19, 08:32 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Have rented 3 Pacifica's for 1 week each over the last 12-15 months while on vacations. Very well laid out, great for families, great tech features, and drives incredibly smooth. Easy to see why people like them.
Old 04-09-19, 09:01 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

From CR:

sienna. 79
kia. 74
pacifica 60
odyssey 58
Do my eyes deceive me? Am I reading this correctly, that Jill is quoting CR?
Old 04-09-19, 09:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Do my eyes deceive me? Am I reading this correctly, that Jill is quoting CR?
Yup. Give something for people to debate about. I know two people on their second Siennas. Hard to argue with repeat buyers while the OP is complaining about their Chrysler product numerous times.
Old 04-09-19, 09:25 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

even though the sienna is super old at this point, i don't see how that should even be a factor in choosing a minivan when all it's there for is to carry people and things around, plus the sienna is still the only AWD van

i'll never criticize someone for having legitimate reasons as far as minivans are concerned, like it being behind on tech and not having certain features you want, but as far as the platform itself the sienna still works and drives very nicely for the roles it's needed in, although the 2017 transmission update makes it feel sluggish at low speeds now

my sister and i never had individual screens to watch in the back when driving up to vermont to go skiing in the past, so part of me wants to tell your kids to just deal with it and look out the window lol... but i'm sure those screens give you guys some nice peace up front
Old 04-09-19, 10:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
my sister and i never had individual screens to watch in the back when driving up to vermont to go skiing in the past, so part of me wants to tell your kids to just deal with it and look out the window lol... but i'm sure those screens give you guys some nice peace up front
Everyone even toddlers have an ipad/tab so just get a tablet holder for each headrest and you're golden.....

Quick Reply: Latest Chrysler quality issue...