Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury sedan sales for March 2019

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 07:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But the segment is wanting something distinct and defined and sporty. The segment has not shrunk. It has more players now for the same amount of buyers. The Tesla S, Panamera, Ghibli, also the CT6-V all did not exist back in 07. So Lexus wants to transform their brand and go to a different buyer.
The segment has definitely shrunk, sedan sales have shrunk. It is true that the Model S is an X factor. Panamara and CT6 are too small sellers to have an impact.

Clearly Lexus does want to transform their brand, the jury is out whether that will work.
Old 04-08-19, 07:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The segment has definitely shrunk, sedan sales have shrunk. It is true that the Model S is an X factor. Panamara and CT6 are too small sellers to have an impact.

Clearly Lexus does want to transform their brand, the jury is out whether that will work.
The segment is flat. The Model S sold 29K units in 2018, the Panamera sold 8300 units. Lexus LS460 once sold 35K units in 2007, S class was 25k in 07 and is now 14K, where did these buyers go? They have moved away from traditional large size barges and the growth is in the Model S, Panemara, Massaratti type models.

Every piece of data points to the LS500 being the right design, but traditional Lexus fans just don't like it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-08-19 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 07:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The segment is flat. The Model S sold 29K units in 2018, the Panamera sold 8300 units. Lexus LS460 once sold 35K units in 2007, S class was 25k in 07 and is now 14K, where did these buyers go? They have moved away from traditional large size barges and the growth is in the Model S, Panemara, Massaratti type models.
Those buyers went to luxury crossovers and SUVs.
Old 04-08-19, 07:53 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The segment is flat. The Model S sold 29K units in 2018, the Panamera sold 8300 units. Lexus LS460 once sold 35K units in 2007, S class was 25k in 07 and is now 14K, where did these buyers go?
So if we add all full size luxury sedan sales from 2007 vs 2018 - the totals are similar?
So indeed the market is flat.
Even if full size luxury sedan sales fell in favor of high riding SUV sales - I'm still fine with that.

I am more than happy for Lexus to transform their brand into sporting-luxury full size sedans - provided that 5LS sales keep up with class leading S Class sales in a relative sense.
However, clearly 5LS is debuting with a paltry 5.6k-9.5k to S Class's 25k+.

If sporty 5LS did sell well relative to S Class, then that just means that Peter has minority/bad taste for styling and/or minority/bad tastes for handling/ride balance - and I'm fine with that.

Just that 5LS is clearly not doing well.
Old 04-08-19, 07:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

ok folks this thread isn't only about the ls500...

about large luxury sedans in general, i wonder what models people 'aspire to' most... i'd say it's pretty obviously the s-class first, by far.
Old 04-08-19, 08:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok folks this thread isn't only about the ls500...

about large luxury sedans in general, i wonder what models people 'aspire to' most... i'd say it's pretty obviously the s-class first, by far.
Tesla S is the dominate player.
Old 04-08-19, 08:16 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Tesla S is the dominate player.
It could be, but how long can it hold on?
For decades like S Class & LS?
Old 04-08-19, 08:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think the reality is people don't "aspire to" a flagship sedan any longer.
Old 04-08-19, 09:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Even if full size luxury sedans no longer relevant and no longer top selling, I am still personally interested in LS sales "relative" to S Class sales.

I will only truly lose my interest with coupe sales like the new LC coupe; I couldn't care less how badly the LC coupe sold.
Old 04-08-19, 09:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

well, my neighbor’s had a bunch of lesser mb’s but only recently got the s class (s550) which he’d always wanted.
Old 04-08-19, 09:56 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The lease just ran out on my 2016 RX350 and I want against the trend and switched to a sedan, a 2019 ES350UL. I was a bit surprised at how high the lease was on the ES compared to the RX which had a higher list price. The residual on the RX was 64% and on the ES 55% for 36 months. Apparently the shift to crossovers is effecting the used sedan prices pretty severely. No wonder the luxury sedan sales are down, they don't lease as well as crossovers, and most luxe sedans are leased.
Old 04-08-19, 11:33 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Not allowed to criticise 5LS in 5LS owner's forum; makes owners feel bad about their purchase.

You better get your young buddies to buy up a lot more 5LS's before sales start dropping to under 100 units/month, and then down to under 50 units/month USA.
What's the point of designing 5LS for you youngsters - if you're not going to buy it?

5LS must sell in adequate numbers to be profitable & sustainable.
Lexus can't have too many loss making white elephants like the: LFA, RC, LC, 5LS & Toyota Mirais.

It's quite okay to design Corollas, Camries and RAV4 for young buyers.
However, how many youngsters can afford a $100k 5LS?
Probably more due to Toyota Motor Corporation bean counters miscalculations, rather than youngsters not purchasing 5LS.
OP can post about his complaints on the 5LS section and see why the current owners bought the 5LS. Much better to hear from both sides than to create a new post on Car Chat at the beginning of each month to point out the 5LS sales in 2019. Where were these posts in 2018 when the 5LS outsold every competitor the segment except the S Class and Model S*?

*I still have a hard time calling the Model S a traditional luxury sedan (technically a fastback like a Panamera), but it is priced like one.

I know it is too bad the Lexuses I am interested in have a big F on the side of the car and are probably money losers for Lexus, but that is why I convince normal people to buy up the RX so that Lexus has enough profits to "waste" money on the F line.

The young adult in the early 2000's that bought the IS 300 is nearly 20 years older now and Lexus wants him/her to buy a LS 500. The older adult in the early 2000's that bought the LS 430 is nearly 20 years older now and Lexus think he/she is...
Old 04-08-19, 11:36 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jwong77
Its the internet, get over it. One person's definition of trolling is another person's definition of having a conversation.
OP already created a similar thread last month after the February 2019 sales data came out. The thread got locked up. Now he creates a new one after the March 2019 sales data is out. What do you think is going to happen to this thread? Do better.
Old 04-08-19, 11:44 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mbarron37
All that matters are sales volumes. As it stands now, the current LS sales are dismal. Especially since this car was just released a little over a year ago. LS 500 sales are below the 12k units per year that were targeted. Who knows, maybe everyone wants an SUV or Tesla today?

its not old vs young. It’s about selling as many units as possible and for some reason the LS has not hit the mark. Fact, not opinion.
True, at the end of the day, LS sales have been disappointing for 2019, but it was "ok" for 2018. Outsold the 7 Series and trailed only the S Class and Model S. Did not see OP complaining/trolling like this... Do people forget that 4LS sales were pretty disappointing too after first two years in 2007 and 2008? Five out of the 10 years, the 4LS sold worse than the 5LS in 2018. Do people forget how the general automotive press stereotyped a typical Lexus owner back then? No thanks.
Old 04-08-19, 11:47 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

I'm 37. Its not about "being old" or about "being young". They made a dramatic change in what the LS fundamentally is, and in a car where a huge % of buyers are returning buyers, that was a risky move.

I think people who are traditional LS fans who are complaining about this have a legitimate complaint.
You already told me your age in last month's edition of this thread. I am not calling you old for liking the previous generation LS. And as I stated countless times, traditional LS fans have 10 years of used 4LS to choose from. Isn't OP a 3LS owner? Why not just buy a 4LS? I would and stop complaining.

Quick Reply: Luxury sedan sales for March 2019