Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury sedan sales for March 2019

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 08:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Amen, companies that don't know who they are become irrelevant. Just look over at Acura, Infiniti and Cadillac. All three are irrelevant in the Luxury space except to their fanboys/girls.
exactly right, although of those 3 i’d say acura is getting its mojo back, and cadillac is getting better and still on a huge arc to more impressive and consistent product. Infiniti is just ‘there’.
Old 04-07-19, 08:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

And all this talk of LS being ended, i don’t see that.
Old 04-07-19, 11:19 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP is trolling at this point... You want to make a statement, post this in the fifth generation LS forum. I am tired of reading the same reasons why people think Lexus made the wrong move. Old people need to move on already. You like the old LS, go buy a used one. Heck, you don't need to, they last forever (the number one reason why anyone would buy a LS over a S Class/etc. in the first place) so why the complaints. Let younger people like me care about the LS for once.

Hopefully, this thread doesn't get locked up...
Old 04-07-19, 11:38 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
OP is trolling at this point... You want to make a statement, post this in the fifth generation LS forum. I am tired of reading the same reasons why people think Lexus made the wrong move. Old people need to move on already. You like the old LS, go buy a used one. Heck, you don't need to, they last forever (the number one reason why anyone would buy a LS over a S Class/etc. in the first place) so why the complaints. Let younger people like me care about the LS for once.

Not allowed to criticise 5LS in 5LS owner's forum; makes owners feel bad about their purchase.

You better get your young buddies to buy up a lot more 5LS's before sales start dropping to under 100 units/month, and then down to under 50 units/month USA.
What's the point of designing 5LS for you youngsters - if you're not going to buy it?

5LS must sell in adequate numbers to be profitable & sustainable.
Lexus can't have too many loss making white elephants like the: LFA, RC, LC, 5LS & Toyota Mirais.

It's quite okay to design Corollas, Camries and RAV4 for young buyers.
However, how many youngsters can afford a $100k 5LS?
Probably more due to Toyota Motor Corporation bean counters miscalculations, rather than youngsters not purchasing 5LS.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-08-19 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 12:33 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Its the internet, get over it. One person's definition of trolling is another person's definition of having a conversation.
Old 04-08-19, 02:05 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

All that matters are sales volumes. As it stands now, the current LS sales are dismal. Especially since this car was just released a little over a year ago. LS 500 sales are below the 12k units per year that were targeted. Who knows, maybe everyone wants an SUV or Tesla today?

its not old vs young. It’s about selling as many units as possible and for some reason the LS has not hit the mark. Fact, not opinion.
Old 04-08-19, 06:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

If ya think 5ls sales are bad, my g90 is apparently selling less than 200 a month. and we know genesis has a new version about to launch.
Old 04-08-19, 06:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If ya think 5ls sales are bad, my g90 is apparently selling less than 200 a month. and we know genesis has a new version about to launch.
G90 does have dealership issues. Genesis also does not have the widespread appeal and brand awareness of other luxury brands that have SUVs etc etc. Most people know what the Lexus brand is, the LS sales are not meeting expectations. Now people can spin it if they want, sometimes there are flops in life, the LS so far appears to be that.
Old 04-08-19, 06:46 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Hey if I can pick up a used 5yr old LS500 for $30k or less, I'm game. Please keep complaining so less people would want it and let the used prices drop.
Old 04-08-19, 06:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Hey if I can pick up a used 5yr old LS500 for $30k or less, I'm game. Please keep complaining so less people would want it and let the used prices drop.
Will not matter. Used Lexus or Toyota prices still hold better than their competitors, even for slow selling models or discontinued models

I assume you are a big fan of the new LS?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-08-19 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-08-19, 01:23 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Will not matter. Used Lexus or Toyota prices still hold better than their competitors, even for slow selling models or discontinued models

I assume you are a big fan of the new LS?
That's not always true. LC used prices are not holding up. Any model, old or new, a sensible business minded dealership will get rid of it even if it means $0 profits if it is just sitting there for months accruing interest, taking up floor space and squeezing cash flow.

And I dont have to be a fan of the LS to own one. I certainly don't dislike it, but I'm also not the kind of person to buy a $100k car or pay $1000 per month in leases. $30k or $450/month lease is more my comfort zone.

Last edited by situman; 04-08-19 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 03:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I'm 37. Its not about "being old" or about "being young". They made a dramatic change in what the LS fundamentally is, and in a car where a huge % of buyers are returning buyers, that was a risky move.

I think people who are traditional LS fans who are complaining about this have a legitimate complaint.
Old 04-08-19, 04:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
All that matters are sales volumes. As it stands now, the current LS sales are dismal. Especially since this car was just released a little over a year ago. LS 500 sales are below the 12k units per year that were targeted. Who knows, maybe everyone wants an SUV or Tesla today?

its not old vs young. It’s about selling as many units as possible and for some reason the LS has not hit the mark. Fact, not opinion.
Do you also believe that Audi will close the shop soon?
Old 04-08-19, 04:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm 37. Its not about "being old" or about "being young". They made a dramatic change in what the LS fundamentally is, and in a car where a huge % of buyers are returning buyers, that was a risky move.

I think people who are traditional LS fans who are complaining about this have a legitimate complaint.
Yes...I looked at another LS today at the auto show, and was not impressed. Some of the metal-derived trim materials inside were very solid and impressive, but there was also a fair amount of cheap-feeling buttons/controls and trim as well.....too much so, IMO, for the price. it was very difficult to tell where the wood trim was, and it it was actually wood at all. And the spindle grille, IMO, was overdone, though not quite as in-your-face as on the RX.

I also thought Lexus blew it with the ES350 display by bringing only one of them (a white F-Sport model with red seats) to the show. I asked them why only one sport-oriented version on display, in what is supposed to be a conservative sedan for conservative buyers, and there reply was "We're showing it off because it's the first year for the ES F-Sport". We'll see, but I don't think the F-Sport version is going to sell in strong numbers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-08-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 04:37 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Do you also believe that Audi will close the shop soon?
Who cares about Audi. Did I mention Audi? Go back to sleep...

Quick Reply: Luxury sedan sales for March 2019