Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury sedan sales for March 2019

Old 04-06-19, 09:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
If they didnt cancel the GSF, RCF, and even updated the RCF with a track edition, how would they cancel their flagship?
The GSF and others are all at the end of their runs but have very high mark ups. I doubt you will see future redesigned F products for a long time. I am sure there will be a LS F coming, but what difference is it going to make.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-06-19 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-06-19, 09:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
Yep. The big $$$ are going there. The LS is in danger. A minor refresh isn't going to fix what is wrong.
I think the LS is in danger, at least in current form.
Old 04-06-19, 09:50 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

RCF with a track edition, whose pricing starts at a whopping $97k. They literally invested more money on a slow selling product. Tbh 3rd place in the ultra boat class isnt to bad. the A8s got it worse.
Old 04-06-19, 09:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
RCF with a track edition, whose pricing starts at a whopping $97k. They literally invested more money on a slow selling product. Tbh 3rd place in the ultra boat class isnt to bad. the A8s got it worse.
How much money did they really invest? The $97K is a whopping $33K over the base RC F. Then you the base RC. Just huge profits. I do notice the new RC F has Apple Car play.
Old 04-06-19, 10:06 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I think Lexus has pointed us toward their flagship with the words they used with the intro of the Limitless Concept. They obviously need to get it to market soon, but if they execute it properly it will do well. The RX outsells the ES by about 2 to 1 at least in the US and the Limitless should have a similar advantage over the LS500. My assumption is that the Limitless is based on the LS RWD platform with AWD optional. The LS500 V-6 is probably adequate for a base engine and the LS500h hybrid for Europe. To keep up with the German competitors, there needs to be a turbo V-8 even if it is for a limited production model. I, for one, am convinces that the LS will continue even in the face of poor sales in the US. After some poor experiences with large hatchbacks in Europe, I'm glad Lexus passed on this. An A-7 rental with a couple of years on it has lots of rattles and road noise.
Old 04-06-19, 11:25 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

S Class: 1,204
7 Series: 988
LS500: 457

The 7 and S numbers are still very comparable to what they were in 2005, being just <200 units difference. (S: 1,384 and 7: 1,110) But the LS numbers fell from 2,537 to 457. That is catastrophic.

While it's true the market has changed, the reality is that big luxury sedan buyers just left Lexus. MB and BMW kept their customers because they gave their customer what they wanted. Lexus decided to give their customers what S Class and BMW owners wanted, and their customers left.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Does not surprise me at all. I expected it. The loss of the V8 and the more-sport-oriented character just doesn't cut it on an LS.

Absolutely. The 430 was the best LS ever produced...and its buyers knew it.

That's what happens when a company forgets its bread and butter. The same thing, to an extent, happened at Cadillac and Lincoln....for a while, they forgot the traditional big-sedan buyers in their designs.

After I saw the new release photos, I predicted 5LS would be a flop, even before it went on sale.

The question now is what has President Akio learnt from LFA, RC, LC and 5LS low volume sales?

More importantly, how does President Akio intend to address the next generation of 5GS and 6LS - keeping in mind that 3GS and 4LS sold over 33,000 units/year on debut in the USA, and that E Class, 5 Series, S Class and 7 Series still sell decently well to this day - it's just the sporty 4GS and sporty 5LS that plummeted in sales, especially the 5LS with what a number of posters have described as an Infinti-like rear quarter styling...
Old 04-07-19, 12:37 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm sensing a combo of reasons has led the LS to where it is today:

1) Front grille is too outlandish, for a still somewhat conservative group of buyers.
2) Overall styling may be too "Japanese." Past bodies and details were more conventional.
3) Non-aggressive lease program.
4) Possibly lack of V8. However I see an older set of buyers in this segment, who care a little less about forward thrust than someone in their 30's.
5) Now throw in competition from Tesla. They are stealing sales away from everyone, not just Lexus. In fact, this LS problem is much about Tesla.

*Note, both Infiniti and Acura cannot make a full-size sedan flourish. The fact that the LS lives on when the Legend and Q45 are long gone, is at least somewhat commendable.

One of the more interesting programs I recall seeing back in 1990 was a 20/20 or Nightline type story one late night. It featured a camera crew following around a savvy businessman for one day of work (a day in the life type thing). He just bought a brand new LS, had what was one of the first car cell phones, and pretty much did business in his hushed cocoon, with stops at the offices and clients. The LS was part of the story, showing what a cutting edge 1990's man would look like. With today's tech boom, I can easily see the same story being made again, but that man would be in a new Tesla driving itself down a crowded freeway. This projection of cutting edge was once what the LS used to be. In order for it to succeed, it likely needs to go the path of all electric.
Old 04-07-19, 03:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

They’re not going to turn the LS is to a crossover lol. They have never reused a nameplate on a different sort of vehicle before, they’re not going to start with the LS.
Old 04-07-19, 04:45 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

In talking to my Lexus sales rep recently, he labeled the LS a flop, a big mistake. More specifically, the interior room and price tag of admission (in Canada it's 103K starting or close to 10K more than the outgoing gen). Customers see the ES in the showroom at half the price and can't get by wondering how the LS is double the cost.

Personally, I like the new LS' styling but I agree with the complaints and would not buy it as it's at least 20K overpriced. For perspective, the LS sold a dismal 5 units in March in ALL of Canada, compared to 7 for the LC !
Old 04-07-19, 04:57 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
For perspective, the LS sold a dismal 5 units in March in ALL of Canada, compared to 7 for the LC !
Wow. Was there something else going on, like supply issues or something?
Old 04-07-19, 04:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

For perspective, the LS sold a dismal 5 units in March in ALL of Canada, compared to 7 for the LC !
The worst selling car in Canada for Toyota. The Toyota Mirai sells better. And apparently the Toyota Land Cruiser in Canada sells better than the LS. I was under the impression Land Cruiser was not for sale. https://media.toyota.ca/internal_red...le%20Sales.pdf
Old 04-07-19, 05:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Wow. Was there something else going on, like supply issues or something?
Just a tough sell. Outgoing 2018 models were being offered for up to $25,000 off the MSRP.

In talking to my Lexus sales rep recently, he labeled the LS a flop, a big mistake.!
I am glad there are some that are not in denial.
Old 04-07-19, 05:59 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There isn't much that can be done at this point to improve interior room or exterior styling right now. The car is going to have to be around on this platform for awhile so Lexus is likely thinking that it will sell a few thousand of these annually while it works on a SUV derivative that will be called something else.

A very expensive gamble for Lexus, this 5LS. A shame really because the owners that have bought this car report very few major issues on the 5LS forum, unlike the German cars in their first years.
Old 04-07-19, 06:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

I don’t think the styling is a problem. Look at the RX, I know many here don’t like the styling but clearly the spindle styling hasn’t hurt Lexus overall. I’ve seen a bunch of them on the road now and I think they’re good looking.

The big killer is the interior space I think. My guess is many LS owners would buy one after a cursory drive or even without driving it, but the much tighter interior space is obvious the second you sit in it.

After I drove one that was my main complaint. Non run flat tires would help the ride a lot, and the V6 is okay but the interior space was a non-starter for me.

The new ES isn’t the issue either, as ES sales are down too. As an LS owner I would never buy an ES, it’s just not the same level car in so many ways. I would and will simply move on to another flagship car, and there are lots of options. Or an SUV like other sedan buyers.
Old 04-07-19, 07:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don’t think the styling is a problem. Look at the RX, I know many here don’t like the styling but clearly the spindle styling hasn’t hurt Lexus overall. I’ve seen a bunch of them on the road now and I think they’re good looking.

The big killer is the interior space I think. My guess is many LS owners would buy one after a cursory drive or even without driving it, but the much tighter interior space is obvious the second you sit in it.

After I drove one that was my main complaint. Non run flat tires would help the ride a lot, and the V6 is okay but the interior space was a non-starter for me.

The new ES isn’t the issue either, as ES sales are down too. As an LS owner I would never buy an ES, it’s just not the same level car in so many ways. I would and will simply move on to another flagship car, and there are lots of options. Or an SUV like other sedan buyers.
Agreed, it has the same interior space as a new Mazda 6, or a 1998 Nissan Maxima, or about 9 cu. ft. less than a 2006 LS. It's tight. And that's fine if it were say a GS or had its pricetag. totally old-fashioned but I like having a full sized spare even though it will never get used. What got me on runflats is you have an issue, buy a new one, not serviceable (because the shop can never know if you drove on it flat or not). Who can afford that? I broke the rules and plugged mine until switching over to non RFT (on the 335i).

full sized spare I put on yesterday still has markings from the factory (I know it's > 6 y.o. more like 13). It's a relic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Luxury sedan sales for March 2019