Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

D.C. Auto Show April 5-14

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-19, 07:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

not trying to derail the thread which is about the DC auto show, thanks.

about the DC show, has anything been 'launched' / announced there in recent years? if not, it's a bit surprising given how huge the market is there.
Old 03-31-19, 08:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
about the DC show, has anything been 'launched' / announced there in recent years? if not, it's a bit surprising given how huge the market is there.
Couldn't agree more.....I've said that for years. It's the second-largest new car market in the country, behind Southern California.

I haven't seen any new vehicles officially introduced there, although, some years ago, Mercedes (supposedly) displayed a new station wagon here first. Everybody usually wants to display first at Detroit or L.A. because that's where a lot of the auto press goes. But the point is, you're correct...there's a far larger potential market in D.C. than in Detroit, though D.C. does trail Los Angeles.
Old 04-01-19, 05:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The DC market isn't generally known for its car culture like LA, Detroit, So. Florida etc. so manufacturers probably don't see it as the show to introduce new models. There are other large markets that normally don't see many introductions.
Old 04-01-19, 06:18 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

DC show is more supported for local dealer association, and now hosts panels/discussions about transportation/mobility, etc. It's not a main circuit show. LA, New York and Detroit are still the main U.S. Shows, with Chicago squeaking in there with at least some trim debuts.

More and more with Autoblogs and other internet media availability, automakers are also utilizing the larger international shows, Geneva, Frankfurt, Shanghai, Tokyo, etc. ,

May do a quick walk through of the DC show Thursday afternoon, but don't really expect to see anything that wasn't already at Detroit, and then New York is in 2 weeks.
Old 04-01-19, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
DC show is more supported for local dealer association, and now hosts panels/discussions about transportation/mobility, etc. It's not a main circuit show. LA, New York and Detroit are still the main U.S. Shows, with Chicago squeaking in there with at least some trim debuts.
It's still considered important, to some extent, because Congress, DOT. and NHTSA are here...the people who actually regulate the industry and the vehicles produced. That's why, years ago, it changed from a Class-B show to a Class A-minus status. Detroit and L.A., of course, are a solid Class A. In fact, one year, President Obama showed up one afternoon, unannounced...his Administration, of course, was heavily into alternate-fuel vehicles. He wanted to take a look at the latest non-gasoline vehicles there. It was a PITA.....the Secret Service blocked off the entire lower-level of the show, herded us all out like sheep, and the lower level was closed for several hours while he was there.

May do a quick walk through of the DC show Thursday afternoon, but don't really expect to see anything that wasn't already at Detroit, and then New York is in 2 weeks.
Typo......the show starts Friday, not Thursday. Only the press can get in beforehand....assuming there is a day just for them. You're correct, though, that there probably won't be any new intros that weren't already at Detroit or L.A.

Now to try and scrounge up some free tickets LOL ...they're late coming in this year.
Old 04-01-19, 07:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's still considered important, to some extent, because Congress, DOT. and NHTSA are here...the people who actually regulate the industry and the vehicles produced. That's why, years ago, it changed from a Class-B show to a Class A-minus status. Detroit and L.A., of course, are a solid Class A. In fact, one year, President Obama showed up one afternoon, unannounced...his Administration, of course, was heavily into alternate-fuel vehicles. He wanted to take a look at the latest non-gasoline vehicles there. It was a PITA.....the Secret Service blocked off the entire lower-level of the show, herded us all out like sheep, and the lower level was closed for several hours while he was there.
I think you are looking for some legitimacy about the DC show. Perhaps because you live close. Most people simply do not care. DC has never been know for automobiles. I have been to D.C. many, many times over my life and a Auto Show would be the very last thing I would want to attend. Add in the fact that Major League Baseball is just rolling out nationwide. The season is starting to change for most of North America. Peoples interests are on other things.
Old 04-01-19, 07:28 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Typo......the show starts Friday, not Thursday. Only the press can get in beforehand....assuming there is a day just for them. You're correct, though, that there probably won't be any new intros that weren't already at Detroit or L.A.

Now to try and scrounge up some free tickets LOL ...they're late coming in this year.
Not a typo, I work in the industry, and I do get a free ticket.
Old 04-01-19, 07:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I used to get free tix for Baltimore, I'd go by myself and pay like $18 in tolls (lol how long ago was that), and come how with some freebies and in about a month a RLC ticket for $100. But I was happy and single, and dreamed of getting a new car probably a BMW!

Now I will date myself. Before I could drive I would get free tix for the NY Coliseum, and also SNL when Bill Murray hosted. hahahahahahahaha
Old 04-01-19, 07:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The Chicago show touts themselves as the largest in the country with over a million sq. ft. of space and over a million visitors so there is a certain amount of civic pride in these things. CES is receiving more attention from automakers these days making the auto shows less relevant.
Old 04-01-19, 11:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I used to get free tix for Baltimore, I'd go by myself and pay like $18 in tolls (lol how long ago was that), and come how with some freebies and in about a month a RLC ticket for $100. But I was happy and single, and dreamed of getting a new car probably a BMW!

Now I will date myself. Before I could drive I would get free tix for the NY Coliseum, and also SNL when Bill Murray hosted. hahahahahahahaha
what’s RLC?

and we know you’re all about free shat. i imagine your home as filled with free junk from giveaways.
Old 04-01-19, 11:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I could see dc being a place to roll out an electric as that might get politicians to show up even since they’re right there, if it was a big splash.
Old 04-01-19, 11:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what’s RLC?

and we know you’re all about free shat. i imagine your home as filled with free junk from giveaways.
RLC = red light camera lol

MD was always good for that! Never got any from DC knock on wood....
Old 04-01-19, 01:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

DC isnt an "industry" show. They dont have the press support/contingent so it wouldn't make any sense to debut a model here.
Old 04-01-19, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
. Add in the fact that Major League Baseball is just rolling out nationwide. The season is starting to change for most of North America. Peoples interests are on other things.
Well, New York also has its big show in April...can't just point a finger at D.C., though it is not known whether the April shift for the D.C. show will be permanent, or whether it will be back to January/February again next year. Spring is also the traditional car-buying season, though, of course, vehicles sell year-around.

I think you are looking for some legitimacy about the DC show.
Perhaps because you live close

I, as one person, have very little to do with it. The D.C. Show has gotten more attention recently because the government (and industry-regulators) are here. That's why, about 10 years ago, or so when the new D.C. Convention Center opened, the show's sponsors moved it from the Christmas / New Year's week to late January....having it between Christmas and New Years meant that most of Congress was out of town, back home in their districts. I liked it being part of the Holiday season, though....I miss those days.
Old 04-01-19, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
DC isnt an "industry" show. They dont have the press support/contingent so it wouldn't make any sense to debut a model here.
I agree that the auto press is not here, but the only reason they go to Detroit is because of tradition and habit...IMO there is no reason why they can't come here. This (and L.A.) is where the vehicles are are actually sold, not Detroit itself.

Quick Reply: D.C. Auto Show April 5-14