Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

tesla flurry of recent changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 02:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Omg. The original title was perfect. You also forgot to add in that Tesla stores are going to be closing. So that needs to be added to the title.
Tesla stores were going to be closing, until the lessors dished out numbers on how much ETFs were on their leases.
Old 03-25-19, 02:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,687 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure why you're so upset about this? is it environmental reasons? you have stock? you or people you know work or were laid off from there? my thread was merely to talk about the FACTS of the recent turmoil.
These are not FACTS you consider it turmoil others may not. I certainly don't I'd say growing pains I think you're making a way way bigger deal than necessary. BTW if you're going to keep changing the thread title it affects the context of what is posted.
Old 03-25-19, 02:53 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Cash grab the term means your only intention is to make money as fast as possible no other purpose in mind. If you think that of Tesla that's fine.
not sure what you are trying to say but that's exactly what cash grab means.

cash grab:
A product designed primarily or solely with the intent of generating profits.
An activity engaged in with the intention of making money quickly.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cash_grab
Old 03-25-19, 02:56 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Omg. The original title was perfect. You also forgot to add in that Tesla stores are going to be closing. So that needs to be added to the title.
bit succumbed to the pressure of sjw lunatics and changed the title to keep them from being triggered inside their parents basement.
Old 03-25-19, 02:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,687 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind

cash grab:

Tesla is not trying to make a quick buck they are trying to become the de facto electric car maker. You don't build the largest building on Earth to make batteries if you are trying to make fast money then get out.
Old 03-25-19, 03:18 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Tesla is not trying to make a quick buck they are trying to become the de facto electric car maker. You don't build the largest building on Earth to make batteries if you are trying to make fast money then get out.
A product designed primarily or solely with the intent of generating profits. = model y (model 3 with a higher roof and higher price) check.
An activity engaged in with the intention of making money quickly. = taking deposits 2+ years early. check.
money grab it is.
Old 03-25-19, 03:23 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,491 Likes on 1,798 Posts

That's actually a fair point, and I agree there's no signs of Tesla slowing down - or at least, they certainly don't think they are going to, based on how they have been ramping up lately.

But, I can't help but agree that changing prices not only so suddenly, but at the amount they are, is pretty shady. I mean they had literal protests about those changes.
Old 03-25-19, 03:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,362 Posts

sorry, because of Lexus2000 felt it was too negative, i wanted to clarifying it with specifics, but you make a good point about the stores that were 'all' going to close, and then they decided to keep some open! so i make it generic, but specific about the changes being 'recent'. as i said, i haven't seen any company make this many changes this quickly. it's good to be nimble, but many of the changes contradict one another.

These are not FACTS you consider it turmoil others may not.
they are facts, but you're correct that 'turmoil' is my assessment of all those changes/facts. i don't see how you can deny the recent huge number of pricing, product configuration, announcements, delays, changes of direction, etc.

I'd say growing pains I think you're making a way way bigger deal than necessary.
fair enough, we can agree to disagree in our opinions of these facts.

BTW if you're going to keep changing the thread title it affects the context of what is posted.
i was trying to be accurate. if you or anyone can think of a better title, stated here or via pm, i'm absolutely open to it.

bit succumbed to the pressure of sjw lunatics and changed the title to keep them from being triggered inside their parents basement.
ok that was funny. but not my intent.

cash grab:

my stating cash grab was not to make money and run for it, it was because i believe they need cash to finance CURRENT OPERATIONS (and debt repayment). i could certainly be wrong.

i agree with both those points.

Originally Posted by arentz07
That's actually a fair point, and I agree there's no signs of Tesla slowing down - or at least, they certainly don't think they are going to, based on how they have been ramping up lately.
we'll see from q1 results if they've slowed down, although one quarter isn't an overall trend.

But, I can't help but agree that changing prices not only so suddenly, but at the amount they are, is pretty shady. I mean they had literal protests about those changes.
i don't consider it shady, i just think they're trying to do whatever they can to survive. but you're right about the protests! some people (esp. in other countries) bought teslas and the prices were slashed, and now raised again, kinda odd.
Old 03-26-19, 05:42 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

The only reason why Tesla price changes are visible is because there's no dealer negotiations and the price is what it is. And I did put a deposit down on a Y . If you want a LR or Performance model early it makes sense. If you're looking for base or mid-range you're better off waiting
Old 03-26-19, 06:46 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
does anyone else find the huge number of price and product line up changes in the last couple of months bizarre? (and alarming)

they add and then cancel products. they provide free services then charge for them, then free again for some, maybe, for some period of time, maybe, etc. they're raising product prices, then lowering, then raising again...

they're taking deposits on a vehicle that's likely 2 years+ away from being available... seems like a grab for cash flow now.

it's enough to make your head spin.

i WANT tesla to succeed. they've done something amazing and EXTREMELY difficult, not only technically, but with all the competition, lobbyists, oil industry, etc. gunning to crush them.

but their recent behavior looks a lot like panic. i get that they're trying to squeeze all the sales and deliveries they can into Q1 (few more days) with incentives just like other auto makers, but at some point all the thrashing probably isn't helping.

rumor has it tariffs in china (don't know if enacted already) are/will hurt tesla a lot. rumor has it demand has slowed a lot in the u.s. (maybe after a lot of the 3 backlog was fliled). rumor has it the X is all but dead with products announced from mercedes, audi, and bmw, and already out from jaguar, even if they're not as good.

there was a lot of disappointment over the Y being 'just' a tall 3 with a hatch, but i get totally that that's the quickest way for tesla to get it on the market, and manage costs, plus why not, if the 3 is successful then a cuv version should be very successful.

what do you think?
Just a song and dance, smoke and mirror tactic. It literally amounts to announcing nothing except for "please fund me." Tesla is essentially a kickstarter now with promises of future products, after you put in a deposit.
Old 03-26-19, 03:03 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

As an engineer I am interested in Tesla because they approach the idea of a car from a different angle. The technology is pretty straightforward but interesting nonetheless.

But from a pragmatic point of view I see Tesla partly as a fad and partly as a tool for virtue-signaling to peers.

But we'll see. I've certainly been wrong on many things in the past. I thought the Lear Fan was a brilliant airplane but it never made it. I thought we'd have a thousand Nukes all around the country by now, and we don't. Maybe Tesla will reach Critical Mass and succeed. But maybe not.

Last edited by riredale; 03-26-19 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 05:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
The only reason why Tesla price changes are visible is because there's no dealer negotiations and the price is what it is. And I did put a deposit down on a Y . If you want a LR or Performance model early it makes sense. If you're looking for base or mid-range you're better off waiting
once demand has flattened, they have deals too.

And no, nobody else changes their processes as often as Tesla. There is certainly a problem if you make huge changes like closing most of your sales locations and then revert them in mere weeks after. It looks like someone didnt think something through and as if changes were made on a whim of individual, instead of being something that has been researched for a while.

Eventually Tesla will be run properly and technology will be an icing on a cake of superbly run automotive operation.
Old 03-26-19, 05:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Tesla stores were going to be closing, until the lessors dished out numbers on how much ETFs were on their leases.
do you really think nobody at Tesla knew the cost of pulling out of stores? I mean that would be pure incompetence that is below level of street vendor selling things out of a booth.

IMHO, it is obvious that their sales dropped significantly due to online only sales and they quickly went back to rethink their original plan.
Old 03-26-19, 09:53 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
do you really think nobody at Tesla knew the cost of pulling out of stores? I mean that would be pure incompetence that is below level of street vendor selling things out of a booth.

IMHO, it is obvious that their sales dropped significantly due to online only sales and they quickly went back to rethink their original plan.
I dont know they are the disruptor of car brands?
Heres my anecdotal evidence

-Tesla Issued the move to online sales in pure silence not even to regional managers
-Tesla/directly from an Elon email, 78 percent of all Model 3 sales occur online and 82 percent of customers bought the car without a test drive.
-Sales staff claim that months prior "they had been directed to have customers buy cars themselves through the Tesla website, even if they’re sitting right next to them in the store. But many buyers place an order on their phones after talking with a salesperson for hours or even making multiple visits. Others come into the store, think about it, and then buy online later. In retrospect, multiple employees now suspect this directive as a scheme to orchestrate their own obsolescence."
-Tesla magically about faced this HUGE DECISION within a short amount of time
Source Jalopnik.
Old 03-26-19, 10:52 PM
Stormwind
Racer

I've never seen an auto company relentlessly attacked at this level, and people opening cheering for the company to fail. And before you say, that's not happening well yes it is I've lost track of how many times people said other auto makers are going to magically march in and put Tesla out of business because reasons.

Tesla had a magnifying glass on them not exactly sure why on some level I think it stems from people fearing change, and their favourite car makers status quo is threatened.
no. people want pot smoking tusk to fail because he constantly virtue signals and post irritating stuff like this.

yeah people don't like him and want him to fail because he is out there making enemies for no good reason.

Quick Reply: tesla flurry of recent changes