Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Here's Why The McLaren F1 is the Greatest Car Ever Made - Doug Demuro

Old 03-21-19, 12:56 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

well for all those who are interested in laughing at doug and not with him lol, do a google images search for: the doug vs the jezza

i'll even do it for you

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...w=1212&bih=765

also keep in mind that this was made in jest by a doug fan
Old 03-21-19, 01:02 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

and in the interest of keeping this about the mclaren... how awesome is it that every single F1 engine bay is lined with about an ounce of 24 karat gold, as this was considered to be the best possible way to protect the paint from the massive heat generated by that amazing BMW V12

Old 03-21-19, 01:21 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,488 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
and in the interest of keeping this about the mclaren... how awesome is it that every single F1 engine bay is lined with about an ounce of 24 karat gold, as this was considered to be the best possible way to protect the paint from the massive heat generated by that amazing BMW V12
That's awesome, I never knew that.

McLaren makes some awesome stuff these days, but the F1 is still on another level. If they ever made something V12-powered again, that'd be something.
Old 03-21-19, 01:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
If they ever made something V12-powered again, that'd be something.
but they won't. the future is electric. performance can't be touched.

to declare any vehicle the greatest ever made is pure hyperbole. i'd say the veyron is the greatest car ever made.
Old 03-21-19, 02:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
to declare any vehicle the greatest ever made is pure hyperbole. i'd say the veyron is the greatest car ever made.
Good point, it's not entirely objective. I think my LS430 is one of the greatest cars ever made, easy.
Old 03-21-19, 02:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Good point, it's not entirely objective. I think my LS430 is one of the greatest cars ever made, easy.
it certainly is/was!
Old 03-21-19, 02:10 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arentz07
That's awesome, I never knew that.

McLaren makes some awesome stuff these days, but the F1 is still on another level. If they ever made something V12-powered again, that'd be something.
that's the thing, what makes the F1 so amazing and unique is exactly the same reason we'll likely never see something like it again... it's literally what happens when the boss of a major formula one company tells his lead designer to basically just go have fun and spend all the money you'd like to develop the ultimate street car

i mean it's a proper death trap the F1... a 6.1 liter 630 hp n/a V12 in a rwd car that all in all weighs about the same as a 2nd generation miata with absolutely 0 electronic aids whatsoever (or airbags) is never something that could happen today

the current mclarens are way too safe and generally idiot-proof lol... and they don't represent the singular vision of gordon murray, or development with no compromise... the F1 has about 550 hp per ton which is an extremely impressive amount even by modern standards
Old 03-21-19, 02:18 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

couldn't agree more... i still believe the 98+ LS 400 is all things considered like the greatest car ever factoring in what the average consumer wants in a car (just retrofit some bluetooth and you're good to go lol), but as something to terrify and exhilarate yourself with it doesn't get much better than a 630 hp V12 manual go kart which is still after over 25 years the fastest naturally aspirated car ever
Old 03-21-19, 03:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

couldn't agree more... i still believe the 98+ LS 400 is all things considered like the greatest car ever factoring in what the average consumer wants in a car (just retrofit some bluetooth and you're good to go lol), but as something to terrify and exhilarate yourself with it doesn't get much better than a 630 hp V12 manual go kart which is still after over 25 years the fastest naturally aspirated car ever

I feel you, it's just sports cars really aren't my thing and never have been. I've always been about luxury cars.

The way I see it, you can't do basically anything fun daily driving in any of those cars that wouldn't land you a reckless driving ticket or in jail.

However on a luxury car whose mission, sole purpose is to bask occupants in luxury, you actually use that 100% every single time you drive. Whenever I get out of my truck and drive my LS everything about it just screams luxury. And it's impressive. The ride, the engine, the way it shifts, the quietness, the plush leather and wood, etc. It's a stark difference than driving a Yukon around (don't get me wrong though I love that in a whole different way). You get to enjoy that luxury 100% of the time. There's a couple back roads here you could have fun with a 911 but I don't want to run into someone pulling out of somewhere or get arrested.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn down a Ferrari lol. But I'd probably trade it for a Rolls Royce or Bentley.
Old 03-21-19, 04:43 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

that really is the big drawback about super high performance cars, humanity takes the time and effort to bother building them but then enacts legislation that essentially turns people off from ever wanting to use them as they were designed

and since you mentioned the 911, that is a terrible car for just driving around... very harsh and uncomfortable, you really have to start pushing it before everything starts to make sense

this is exactly why i love the E55, you get LS levels of luxury (almost) and even bone stock from the factory as it came out in 2003 it would completely destroy the ferrari 360, and even still outrun the f430 by the time that came out

gordon murray very much wanted the F1 to be a usable road car and not just some track toy, so if you look at it the tires are quite high profile for something of that nature and on a track you can see it really rolls around quite a bit

(about 15:30 in this)

also people who have driven both tend to say the the F1 is more quiet and comfortable than the veyron which sorta surprised me
Old 03-21-19, 05:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

that really is the big drawback about super high performance cars, humanity takes the time and effort to bother building them but then enacts legislation that essentially turns people off from ever wanting to use them as they were designed

and since you mentioned the 911, that is a terrible car for just driving around... very harsh and uncomfortable, you really have to start pushing it before everything starts to make sense

this is exactly why i love the E55, you get LS levels of luxury (almost) and even bone stock from the factory as it came out in 2003 it would completely destroy the ferrari 360, and even still outrun the f430 by the time that came out
Yes, I'm totally on board with you on cars like that. However just a nice regular S-Class with a V8 (sad I have to wish for an 8 cylinder engine) and AMG appearance package is all I'd ever need. I just have not much interest for cars that are designed for the track first like Lambos, Ferraris, etc.
Old 03-21-19, 07:54 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the F1 Road Car is stupendous, but a Ferrari is probably more practical (wave the sarcasm sign here). What's Doug Demuro doing here? Looks like there's a FA-18 coming down the pipe onto a pitching carrier deck on a windy day and he's trying to wave off the pilot or something.
Old 03-21-19, 11:25 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Yes, I'm totally on board with you on cars like that. However just a nice regular S-Class with a V8 (sad I have to wish for an 8 cylinder engine) and AMG appearance package is all I'd ever need. I just have not much interest for cars that are designed for the track first like Lambos, Ferraris, etc.
ehh... no need for that... a regular S class (10-15 years ago at least) really has nothing to offer that the LS doesn't already do better, and i wouldn't get a regular E or S class over my LS

that big supercharged V8 is the main reason i wanted the car, i don't even need the whole AMG appearance look although it's nice that it's there lol... i mean just look at this beast of an engine, having sustained g forces in your back while this thing is making all sorts of ruckus right in front of you just doesn't get old haha

oh and btw lambos traditionally drove like crap, definitely NOT something you'd want to take on a track... the post audi lambos are a different story though, especially things like the huracan peformante
Old 03-21-19, 11:53 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

ehh... no need for that... a regular S class (10-15 years ago at least) really has nothing to offer that the LS doesn't already do better, and i wouldn't get a regular E or S class over my LS
Lol, me neither. I was just saying hypothetically, I get why you like your E55 but if I drove a Mercedes the AMG would be overkill for me as long as it had a V8.

And W220 vs LS430 that's a joke, you're definitely right about that. I'd still drive an LS460 over a W221 but only because of reliability; I feel like the competition caught/stepped up while Lexus sort of slacked with the LS460.

LS430, like the 400,, was the last LS that ran with --and arguably led-- the competition, which it hasn't done in a while. Sad, but true.

This new LS500 is a total disaster, I doubt many S-Class buyers have it on their radar.

Old 03-22-19, 01:14 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Lol, me neither. I was just saying hypothetically, I get why you like your E55 but if I drove a Mercedes the AMG would be overkill for me as long as it had a V8.

And W220 vs LS430 that's a joke, you're definitely right about that. I'd still drive an LS460 over a W221 but only because of reliability; I feel like the competition caught/stepped up while Lexus sort of slacked with the LS460.

LS430, like the 400,, was the last LS that ran with --and arguably led-- the competition, which it hasn't done in a while. Sad, but true.

This new LS500 is a total disaster, I doubt many S-Class buyers have it on their radar.
they didn't sort of slack with the 460 lol, they did like hardly anything in over a decade apart from change the bumpers and interior around... doesn't mean it's not still a good car but when you're a flagship luxury sedan you can't afford to slack even for a few moments, especially when stuff like genesis is making a name for itself, and mercedes released the W222 like a good 5 years before the LS was "updated" to the 500... the 400 gained about 50 hp over its even shorter production run, as well as other mechanical changes which kept it a top contender

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Here's Why The McLaren F1 is the Greatest Car Ever Made - Doug Demuro