Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stumbled on a comment on Youtube from a smart guy (about 2JZ in Lexus)

Old 03-19-19, 08:13 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Stumbled on a comment on Youtube from a smart guy (about 2JZ in Lexus)

I was scrolling the internet randomly today as I met this comment in french :

Gloablement, chez Lexus, je pense qu'il leur manque un moteur pour la génération actuelle. Un moteur qui serait capable autant de grande performance si il était flanqué d'un Turbo en cycle auto, que d'être économe si on le bascule en cycle Atkinson pur sur une monte hybride. Lexus n'a pas ça en ce moment, et ça se voit. Il serait peut-être temps pour eux de s'intéresser de plus près à un successeur du mythique 2JZ, qu'on pourrait sans problème actualiser aux exigences de la marque (un 2jz mk2 , à chaîne, de 2.7litres p.ex.) qui serait plutôt compact, plutôt frugal et plutôt puissant, au besoin.
Translation :
"I think what Lexus is lacking in the moment, is an engine that is ready for the actual challenges of todays car industry. An engine that not only would be capable of great performance if fitted with a solid turbo in auto cycle, but that could also be economic when runned in Atkinson cylce and paired with the Lexus Hybrid system. Lexus doesn't have such a candidate for the moment and it's obivous to see.* Maybe it would be the moment for them to think of a valuable successor of the 2JZ, that could be transformed to fit the challenges of today (imagine a 2JZ of 2.7L, with chain distribution) that would be rather compact, would have great mileage and would be powerful."

I really find the idea of this guy great. Imagine how many engines could simply be replaced by one single engine. I could clearly imagine the different variants of this adapted throughout the whole Lexus product range. The RC would receive the 2.7 twinscroll, the IS would be fitted with the 2.7 NA, both cars could have a 270H version. In the same time the UX could get the 270H. The production costs could be reduced a lot.

I could easily imagine the 2.7 to be able of a reliable 320 horsepower with turbo and auto cycle, and a respectable 210 hp in Atkinson. Again, very reasonable and future oriented.

Great idea in my eyes. The only problem I see, is that Lexus probably doesn't have any intention to modernize it's engine fleet in this awakening era of EV vehicles.
Old 03-26-19, 07:40 AM
axel04
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Toyota can make great engines without using turbos. The 2.5l four cylinder they have today is as powerful as the v6 IS250 they had years ago. The problem with the Japanese auto brands instead of doing what they are good at, they have found themselves being led by the Germans. Forget the turbos and take these engines to Yamaha for more performance. The v8 RCF engine that engine is also not running at its maximum
Old 03-26-19, 09:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

i think you're going to see combustion engine development massively cut back in favor of electric (or hybrid) drive trains.
Old 03-26-19, 07:21 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think you're going to see combustion engine development massively cut back in favor of electric (or hybrid) drive trains.
Oh, I think there are still improvements that can be made to the internal combustion piston engine.

There is the free-valve (no-cam) engine, with the intake and exhaust valve timing and lift completely and infinitely variable rather than controlled by cams. Supercar maker Koenigsegg is working on this.

In conjunction with variable valve timing and lift, there is the throttle-less engine, with no butterfly valve to control the volume of air into the engine. This is already possible with variable valve timing and lift controls, such as Fiat's MultiAir engines, BMW's Valvetronic engines and Toyota's Valvematic engines.

This could be in conjunction with precisely-tuned forced induction.

And there is the compression-ignition gasoline engine, soon to be introduced on the Mazda 3.
Old 03-26-19, 07:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Oh, I think there are still improvements that can be made to the internal combustion piston engine.
didn't mean to imply there aren't any improvements coming.