Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Cadillac CT5 (pricing update post #56)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 07:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Or the other explanation is that Lexus is just being super cheap and are behind in their engines. The NA thing is cute, but the whole industry is selling turbos.
Remember I asked the question here on the forum, and it was answered consistently with what a colleague at work had said.

Why is peak torque available at say 1600 rpm all the way to say 5000 rpm? It isn't as if there's no trade off, just that it's somewhat practical to do today. a NA V8 can't do it. Yet the NA V8 still drives very nicely.
Old 03-19-19, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Rehashing pieces from the horrible and failed Saturn ION is really a bad idea for Cadillac. But then again, Cadillac does horrible ideas very well. Wouldn't be surprised if that rear side window has the same part number.
that's right, compare two entirely different cars just because bashing Cadillac is the thing here
Old 03-19-19, 07:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Cadillac has some impressive stuff. This is why I think their might be some envy in some of the responses on here, it’s just hate for the sake of hating. 272hp for the 2.0, the 3.6 is at 335hp. And Cadillac has a 3.0 clearing 400hp. Then you have the V cars, I think 550hp in the CTS and the new Blackwing I think is over 600hp. I forgot, Escalade is over 400hp.

Sometimes you have to give the credit for some brands. It’s funny how all these anti-Lexus threads come and pop up about no LSV8 and then Cadillac is apparently doing the right thing with a new V8 that is modern, and you just hear hate. The new Blackwing engine is handcrafted in the same way AMG does it. What does Lexus do with thier ancient 5.0?
great post

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Virtually all the Cadillacs look good to me on the road. Nowadays, there is extensive LED treatment on big rigs--some with 300+ LEDs. I think Cadillac was the first with this which would imply they know style.

I don't know much about their powertrains, and in my mind again I thought that Ford was out ahead. Lincolns look good too.

Does anybody really think Lexus makes good looking cars today lol
another great post

... I have always considered Hyundai's achilles heel to be engines. No matter what they are doing, their engines consume more fuel than others.
well the 3.3TT rocket in my G90 that isn't driven like an old lady provides consistent 21mpg which i consider pretty good
i know in the past hyundai got busted for not living up to their epa claims, etc., but i think those days are over.

Old 03-19-19, 07:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

about the looks, cadillac has been going with the angular edges design for a long time and i think this new sedan looks great. side view it reminds me of a G80 with sharper edges.

i think it's distinctive without shouting look at me (spindle), and yeah, cadillac does lighting VERY well.

and people seem to forget or aren't aware that gm invented magneto-rheological adaptive suspensions used on ferraris and other vehicles...

gm has its issues, mostly due to being saddled with vast debts and pension obligations making their vehicles more expensive than they should be, but they do some cool stuff.

the chevy volt and bolt were good efforts, but of course tesla gets all the cool points, but i bet gm has learned a lot from those two vehicles and their next gen electrics will be that much better. can't be too long before there's a caddy ev.
Old 03-19-19, 10:03 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's right, compare two entirely different cars just because bashing Cadillac is the thing here
The rear side window, not the whole car.... read the post amigo!

Old 03-19-19, 10:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The rear side window, not the whole car.... read the post amigo!
they both have windshields too... i'm sure they're the same, right?

it's throw away comments like this though that i think are cheap shots:

Cadillac does horrible ideas very well.
Old 03-19-19, 10:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree. It’s little cheap shops that ruin what could be otherwise interesting discussion
Old 03-19-19, 10:49 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, who in this thread drives a Cadillac?

Nobody?

point made.

You can defend the brand all you want, but not one of you have spoken with your wallets (or purses) and based on how many (or few) Cadillac’s are sold every month, I’m not surprised.

Old 03-19-19, 10:53 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Does anybody really think Lexus makes good looking cars today lol
Yes. I think Lexus makes beautiful cars today, just as they did in the past. Lexus of today is not Lexus of yesterday, which is great, otherwise, I wouldn't be in one. People keep holding on to this idea of "Lexus" that Lexus seems to be desperately trying to shed. But not sure how this is relevant in a Cadillac thread.

Anyway, the CT5 looks great. It has a nice, muscular stance and great RWD proportions. Refreshing to see a new car nowadays that isn't a crossover or SUV. I think they're evolving their new design language quite well. Since it's based on the Alpha platform, it should have the performance & handling to match its sporty looks. I look forward to seeing reviews on these & hope they make a V version of this.
Old 03-19-19, 10:56 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by sivikvtec

Nobody?

point made.

You can defend the brand all you want, but not one of you have spoken with your wallets (or purses) and based on how many (or few) Cadillac’s are sold every month, I’m not surprised.

You're in "Car Chat" on a Lexus owners forum. Why would you expect anyone to drive Cadillacs? We've clearly got a specific demographic going on here. Go on an Audi forum and ask how many people drive BMWs. Same result.
Old 03-19-19, 01:28 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
You're in "Car Chat" on a Lexus owners forum. Why would you expect anyone to drive Cadillacs? We've clearly got a specific demographic going on here. Go on an Audi forum and ask how many people drive BMWs. Same result.
Actually this forum has a very diverse group of car owners. I would bet that only half the people posting here have a Lexus.

I keep reading on here about how great Caddilacs are.....but nobody has one???

odd.
Old 03-19-19, 03:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sivikvtec

Nobody?

point made.

I’d say that’s a fair point. Cadillac, like Lexus, has been ripped for their poor infotainment system and that was one big turn off for me. When i got my g90, i was going to look at a ct6 though which had just came out, but i was hooked with the g90 so didn’t happen.

Cadillac also still has pricing issues and is doing things the old gm way... high prices, big discounts, gotta haggle like mad, totally irritating. I know a guy who sold cadillacs a couple of years back, and he should have been limited to crappy used cars.

But cadillac is getting better, a LOT better.
Old 03-19-19, 05:23 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They could have done th C pillar better; it really breaks up the coupe like roofline profile they were going for. That's what caught my eye. We see this on the new Accord and it also is seen on the Infiniti Q60. The German trio do C pillars really, really well. The front and back are really muscular and square shouldered and that's a good thing in this class of cars. You'll know this is a Caddy with the classic styling cues like vertical taillights etc.

It's got all the hp/torque anyone could want for street driving. Now Cadillac needs to up their reliability and durability, although whether GM wants to spend money on that is a question. Interesting how Cadillac is all in with the midsize luxury sedan thing while Lexus seems to have abandoned this segment with no news about a new GS. In fact you can sort see a lineage of the classic 2GS here with a long deck and short hatchback-looking rear sloping profile.
Old 03-19-19, 10:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

And all cars have tires and rims. That thinking could be applied to any two vehicles. I was making a direct comparison to funky rear windows that mare the greenhouse.

The point here is I don't have the slightest bit of patience for a company that had to be bailed out and still makes more mistakes than most. It's wasted money, time and time again. Then they have the gal to call up a new numbering system that most of the U.S. public won't understand. It's one thing after another. You can tip-toe around this 25 year trainwreck, but I've had it with the scams and failures. As a community, we deserve better.
Old 03-20-19, 03:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The point here is I don't have the slightest bit of patience for a company that had to be bailed out and still makes more mistakes than most. It's wasted money, time and time again. .
Then why waste your time and post?

Quick Reply: 2020 Cadillac CT5 (pricing update post #56)