Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Five Most Inaccurate Automotive Stereotypes (in mmarshall’s opinion)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 10:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
I've never seen a Young person driving a Buick. EVER. Especially a Buick Sedan. lol. Cadillac at least has the ATS-V and CTS-V, Their other Sedans, again, Old people. BMW drivers do not signal.
This BMW driver always signals

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-20-19 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-19-19, 11:01 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This BMW driver always signals
This one too.
Old 03-19-19, 12:55 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
This one too.
Two things I like about signaling in my BMW--as mentioned, the switch which has no detent and returns to center. The other is the cornering lamps are activated, which are the inners, as the outers are bixenon. Not sure how they do it today with the LEDs. If a BMW driver doesn't signal, they would not know the joy that I feel when doing so.
Old 03-19-19, 04:24 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to thank both of you BMW drivers for signaling. lol.
Old 03-20-19, 06:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kense
I would like to thank both of you BMW drivers for signaling. lol.
Mine is a garage queen, and I took it to work today, been sitting since late Dec. I kept telling myself on the way to work, "Don't you do it!! Do NOT!!! Don't drive like a do****!!" lol (I really didnt' haha)
Old 03-21-19, 06:37 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
3. BMW drivers, as a whole, are arrogant and reckless.

Yes, a number of past-generation BMW 3-series drivers, particularly with M3s, did have a reputation for thinking that the road basically belonged to them (I've made reference to that in some past posts, while pointing out that V8 Mustang jocks are often even worse). But, even then, the vast majority of BMW drivers (even with the 3-series) and the majority of Mustang jocks that I see are just as careful as anyone else. One thing, of course, that has changed with recent BMWs, is the engineering and image of the vehicles themselves....from the "Ultimate Driving Machine" to essentially just another mainstream brand....that, to at least some extent, has also affected the character of some of those who drive them.
You are partially correct. Now it isnt just BMW drivers that are driving like doucheb*gs. It is all of the top 3 German brands' drivers. Maybe it is just a NY thing shrug.
Old 03-21-19, 06:41 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I can't agree with this little point:
"The long production life of these components is one of the things that, in my view, has helped with their low level of problems and repairs. Unfortunately, since much of Toyota's money goes to engineering durability and reliability into the underpinnings and drivetrain, little seems to be left over for the interior, body sheet metal, and hardware"

It is exactly this that Toyota/Lexus should have more money for better interior materials. Once those powertrains are on the market, and like you said, they will remain on the market unchanged for a decade or more, the savings from not updating those powertrains should be more than enough to source better interior materials.
Old 03-21-19, 07:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
"The long production life of these components is one of the things that, in my view, has helped with their low level of problems and repairs. Unfortunately, since much of Toyota's money goes to engineering durability and reliability into the underpinnings and drivetrain, little seems to be left over for the interior, body sheet metal, and hardware"

It is exactly this that Toyota/Lexus should have more money for better interior materials. Once those powertrains are on the market, and like you said, they will remain on the market unchanged for a decade or more, the savings from not updating those powertrains should be more than enough to source better interior materials.
The interiors of Toyota and Lexus models are fine. OP just does not like them. Toyota and almost all manufacturers are competitive within one another. It comes down to what one likes. I don’t think the original IS interior is anything to write home about. It’s good. But so are the new models.

The long productivlob lives of Toyota mechanicals is a myth. There are lots and lots of Toyota examples where they use brand new tech etc etc.
Old 03-21-19, 08:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman

The part I have never understood other than being human nature, is why don't folks act like they are Gordon Ramsay going into a unknown place, and evaluate what is set in front on them, on a case by case basis? If something is reheated frozen cr**, he bluntly says so. When walking my dog there were times when I would see 3 hondas in a driveway, 3 Lexus, 3 BMWs, 4 Mercedes, etc., and I would think, fanboy much? lol There is some human need to justify their purchase(s) to others, or to show everyone that they made an awesome purchase decision that others missed. I say get over it. Now if you had purchased CSX stock like I did in 2009, imagine your grin today. And I'm no genius, I simply bought when Warren Buffet said that he did (how imaginative is that? it isn't but it pays in spades).
Old 03-21-19, 08:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

The interiors of Toyota and Lexus models are fine. OP just does not like them. Toyota and almost all manufacturers are competitive within one another. It comes down to what one likes. I don’t think the original IS interior is anything to write home about. It’s good. But so are the new models.

The long productivlob lives of Toyota mechanicals is a myth. There are lots and lots of Toyota examples where they use brand new tech etc etc.
Corolla power window switches in an LS, fine lol
Old 03-21-19, 08:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Not in the new one. Lol. But what difference does it make. Remember my thread about power button spacers? It got closed becuase people couldn’t take such a deep conversation. So Toyota has no spacers, Lexus does. But in that thread, people obviously didn’t care even though they were different.

Most people’s perceptions about Lexus are partly made because of similar perceptions about Toyota. Lexus only succeeds because of Toyota. It’s Kinda like ones perceptions of Coca-Cola, if you like Coke you will feel better about Sprite

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-21-19 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-21-19, 08:07 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Maybe the Corolla has LS power window switches....

I'm not sure when was the last time they were shared, though. My GS and my Highlander certainly do not have the same window switches. Not that I would care if they did, though.
Old 03-21-19, 08:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Not in the new one. Lol. But what difference does it make. Most people’s perceptions about Lexus are partly make because of similar perceptions about Toyota. Lexus only success because of Toyota. It’s Kinda like ones perceptions of Coca-Cola, if you like Coke you will feel better about Sprite

haha correct. I am referring to 2001-2006. Today, lot's of vehicles have been decontented so BMW (the co. we love to bash) is guilty as well, I would say after 2010. But not in the 2001-2006 timeframe and again the 2019 is supposed to be a step up from 2018 in many ways, so maybe the trend is reversing.

My analogy is when you buy a house, most people want a smaller house in a better neighborhood. Few people want a bigger house in a worse neighborhood. So for cars, same thing, smaller house, better neighborhood is what I would prefer. Not the other way around...
Old 03-22-19, 05:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

And by the way...this isn't true. The window switches used in the Corolla and the LS may be of similar design, but they are not the same nor are the plastics used to make them the same, nor have they ever been. The LS uses a plastic with a metallic component and Toyota does not, for instance.
Old 03-22-19, 11:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Lol I still don't get you and these window switches! They are encased in gorgeous wood, what do you want them to be? All the Yamaha wood in an LS430 comes from the same tree.. LS430 has lots of wood . I would understand if it were the same steering wheel of a Corolla or something; this I don't get.

Quick Reply: The Five Most Inaccurate Automotive Stereotypes (in mmarshall’s opinion)