Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Five Most Inaccurate Automotive Stereotypes (in mmarshall’s opinion)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
5. you don't buy used cars.
I have in the past...and still shop with people who do.

4. you like american cars even if not completely american.
I like (and dislike) a lot of automotive products...regardless of where they or their parts come from. But IMO it is important for Americans (and American companies) to support American plants.

3. you'd never buy a bmw.
I almost bought an AWD last-generation 335i. Extremely impressed with it on the test-drive...but the horror stories of unreliability, breakdowns from the defective fuel-pumps, and (sometimes) dealer-arrogance turned me off.

2. you owned a lexus and thought it was excellently 'screwed together'.
I owned an (almost 20 year old) Lexus that was excellently screwed together. They used different materials in those days.

1. you now drive a buick and are a senior.
Irrelevant. I drove Buicks in college. And I would probably have driven them a lot longer if the quality hadn't tanked for several decades after that.
Old 03-16-19, 07:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

1. you now drive a buick and are a senior.

QED
Kind of contradicts the OPs own opinion.

What does QED mean?
Originally Posted by tex2670
I agree. The OP is "debunking" stereotypes without any facts or data. You don't debunk stereotypes with your own personal views of the situation.

If we want to publish statistics of American cars being built over seas, or demographic data of Buick and Lincoln customers, fine. Other than that, I don't understand the point here?
I knew it was all bias when I saw and read the Toyota does not make well built cars and then the KIA and Hyundai plug, but then back to Toyota powertrains. The fact is, there is no stereotype that Toyota makes better built vehicles than all others. Regardless of whether Toyota cars are better built or not better built, the Toyota brand is the most valuable car brand in the world, up there with Apple, Coca-Cola and others.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-16-19 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-16-19, 07:53 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What does QED mean?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=QED
Old 03-16-19, 07:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have in the past...and still shop with people who do.

I like (and dislike) a lot of automotive products...regardless of where they or their parts come from. But IMO it is important for Americans (and American companies) to support American plants.

I almost bought an AWD last-generation 335i. Extremely impressed with it on the test-drive...but the horror stories of unreliability, breakdowns from the defective fuel-pumps, and (sometimes) dealer-arrogance turned me off.

I owned an (almost 20 year old) Lexus that was excellently screwed together. They used different materials in those days.

Irrelevant. I drove Buicks in college. And I would probably have driven them a lot longer if the quality hadn't tanked for several decades after that.
So like the thread now say, in your opinion. So there are no facts here

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-16-19 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-16-19, 08:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I truly don’t feel the argument of #4. Parts content is irrelevant and is just silly to dwell on.

Toyota makes the Tacoma in Texas and in Mexico. One is clearly US built, the other is Mexican built.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-16-19 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-16-19, 08:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Here is something I found on Jalopnik.

Look at BMW 5 series
I recently shopped the 5 Series. I'm flattered.
Old 03-16-19, 08:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I truly don’t feel the argument of #4. Parts content is irrelevant and is just silly to dwell on.

Toyota makes the Tacoma in Texas and in Mexico. One is clearly US built, the other is Mexican built.
#4 isn't even a "stereotype". It's just being uninformed, particularly now that the the window sticker states country of origin and % of US parts.

Same with the inverse--many foreign makes are built in the US with 75%+ North American sourced parts. Most people just don't pay attention to that though.

Again--NOT a stereotype.

Old 03-16-19, 08:46 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

1 - around here, roughly $300 will get you whatever you want the odometer to say...
Old 03-16-19, 11:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
#4 isn't even a "stereotype". It's just being uninformed, particularly now that the the window sticker states country of origin and % of US parts.

Same with the inverse--many foreign makes are built in the US with 75%+ North American sourced parts. Most people just don't pay attention to that though.
e.
Yes you are correct. For me, I think country of origin is important in that a buyer deserves to be aware of who is building a particular vehicle. I think what the OP tried to discuss was that the lines are blurred on what an makes an American brand vehicle. Would you agree?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-16-19 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-16-19, 12:52 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes you are correct. For me, I think country of origin is important in that a buyer deserves to be aware of who is building a particular vehicle. I think what the OP tried to discuss was that the lines are blurred on what an makes an American brand vehicle. Would you agree?
No--I think OP wanted to talk about debunking stereotypes. This issue is vastly different than the "typical" Buick customer. What makes a car American/foreign probably is a good legit topic for a separate thread.
Old 03-19-19, 03:33 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

And not a Volvo in sight??
Old 03-19-19, 08:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by isfvss
And not a Volvo in sight??
or saab
Old 03-19-19, 09:02 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never seen a Young person driving a Buick. EVER. Especially a Buick Sedan. lol. Cadillac at least has the ATS-V and CTS-V, Their other Sedans, again, Old people. BMW drivers do not signal.
Old 03-19-19, 09:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kense
I've never seen a Young person driving a Buick. EVER. Especially a Buick Sedan. lol. Cadillac at least has the ATS-V and CTS-V, Their other Sedans, again, Old people. BMW drivers do not signal.
Bahaha. Great post.
Old 03-19-19, 09:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

or saab
I once envied Saab owners....like I said in college during the worst snowstorms we cut classes and headed for VT to ski. My Volvo (264) would be all over the place even with 4 snows (it was ok at speed, but not launching etc.). Saabs would cut through the snow like hot butter wait a sec I got it backwards! They'd be seeming infallible.

A few years ago I toured a warehouse full of Saab parts. Apparently the law requires them to be kept, but the manager said nothing ever left the warehouse. I never see 900's on the road, those were my favorites...the SPG packaged ones..for those who have ever driven one, I loved the key on the floor and having to put it in R before taking the key out. I don't remember ever seeing an automatic--the way it should be!

Quick Reply: The Five Most Inaccurate Automotive Stereotypes (in mmarshall’s opinion)