Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Acura Precision concept will be the basis for a new Acura sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-19, 09:55 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2016 Acura Precision concept will be the basis for a new Acura sedan

Acura to Reveal Its Sportiest Sedan Yet at 2019 Pebble Beach

Acura will reveal a production-ready concept at Pebble Beach that will strongly echo the Precision concept as a tribute to the best of Acura's past, Car and Driver has learned. Staring into the Precision's deep pool of red paint, we must wonder—as Acura is but a 34-year-old car company mostly constrained to our market—might one of its legendary nameplates return as the Legend reincarnate? It's not a ludicrous idea, although we won't hold our breath over the exact name. Signs, however, do point to a new production Acura sedan in the Precision concept's gorgeous "four-door coupe" form. This time, unlike what it did with the car that debuted at the 2016 Detroit auto show, Acura will be ready to build something like it.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-pebble-beach/
Old 03-08-19, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

A new sedan? In the American market?

Old 03-08-19, 10:05 AM
Hoovey689

It won't really be a 'new' sedan, most likely a replacement for the unloved RLX. As of right now we'll call it the return of the Legend
Old 03-08-19, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It won't really be a 'new' sedan, most likely a replacement for the unloved RLX. As of right now we'll call it the return of the Legend

Yes, by "new", that is what I figured.....the RLX and RL have never been popular. Still, the clear trend in the U.S. has been towards axing sedans, not replacing them.

Also, it looks like they are not entirely free of the parrot-beak-effect up front, either. Instead of putting the parrot-beak into the trim-piece above the grille, they have now transferred it to the main outline of the grille itself.
Old 03-08-19, 10:25 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if they replaced both the RLX and TLX with a single model likely based on the current Accord platform which is newer than what Acura is now using. Probably a turbo 4 at the base level and hopefully a turbo V-6 with SH-AWD at the top. The MDX needs to be updated and could use a new powertrain so a turbo V-6 mated to Honda's 10 speed auto might make sense. Honda has been doing a lot of hybrid stuff recently, so at least one version of the new sedan will likely be a hybrid.

The new RDX is quite good and hopefully it is the beginning of a new and better Acura.
Old 03-08-19, 10:38 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, by "new", that is what I figured.....the RLX and RL have never been popular. Still, the clear trend in the U.S. has been towards axing sedans, not replacing them.

Also, it looks like they are not entirely free of the parrot-beak-effect up front, either. Instead of putting the parrot-beak into the trim-piece above the grille, they have now transferred it to the main outline of the grille itself.
Never has, but there was a certain iteration of the RL that was IMO a gem, and I think you agree, the 2005 RL with SH-AWD.

An evolution, but gone are the days of that sorry beak. Now I hear people refer to the large Acura grill grin as the 'Superman'

Originally Posted by oldcajun
It wouldn't surprise me if they replaced both the RLX and TLX with a single model likely based on the current Accord platform which is newer than what Acura is now using. Probably a turbo 4 at the base level and hopefully a turbo V-6 with SH-AWD at the top. The MDX needs to be updated and could use a new powertrain so a turbo V-6 mated to Honda's 10 speed auto might make sense. Honda has been doing a lot of hybrid stuff recently, so at least one version of the new sedan will likely be a hybrid.

The new RDX is quite good and hopefully it is the beginning of a new and better Acura.
Personally I don't think so. The TLX is slated to get a redo (and the MDX) both with more info in the next six months. Also there is a TLX prototype running around with huge intercoolers, which leads people to believe the NSX 3.5L TTV6 and SH-AWD will lead to the resurrection of the Type-S.
Old 03-08-19, 11:35 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I wouldn't say that is much of a trend, especially not in the luxury market. There are actually more sedan model choices in most luxury brands now then there was 10 or 15 years ago.
Old 03-08-19, 11:40 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Never has, but there was a certain iteration of the RL that was IMO a gem, and I think you agree, the 2005 RL with SH-AWD.

An evolution, but gone are the days of that sorry beak. Now I hear people refer to the large Acura grill grin as the 'Superman'

Personally I don't think so. The TLX is slated to get a redo (and the MDX) both with more info in the next six months. Also there is a TLX prototype running around with huge intercoolers, which leads people to believe the NSX 3.5L TTV6 and SH-AWD will lead to the resurrection of the Type-S.
The engine in the NSX cost $65,000 alone to make, it won't be going into any TLX plus it won't work in a FWD trans platform. Acura is coming out with a 3.0tt engine not related to the NSX which will go in the Type S TLX, RDX, and MDX.

I do agree the 2nd Gen RL was a gem, had the nicest interior in class and very solid.
Old 03-08-19, 11:43 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by UDel
The engine in the NSX cost $65,000 alone to make, it won't be going into any TLX plus it won't work in a FWD trans platform. Acura is coming out with a 3.0tt engine not related to the NSX which will go in the Type S TLX, RDX, and MDX.

I do agree the 2nd Gen RL was a gem, had the nicest interior in class and very solid.
Well there we go.
Old 03-08-19, 12:00 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

If it looks anything like that concept and brings back the Legend name then it has a chance.

Longitudinal Turbo V6 (like it was back in the day) with SH-AWD pushing out 400-450hp and priced around $65k would be great.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 03-08-19 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-08-19, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, you have a good memory. I was indeed a big fan of the 2Gen RL. Me and Mike (1SICKLEX), who I'm sure you'll remember, had numerous discussions and posts on whether the 2Gen RL was too small, too Accord-like in the body-styling, too overpriced for its size, and whether it was a suitable flagship or not. We both agreed, though, that it was built like a tank, and it was obvious that the bean-counters had little effect in preventing the use of good, solid materials...actually, in many ways, like today's Genesis sedans.

Superman? Haven't heard that one before, but, yes, you have a point...the shield is similar.

(Off-topic a little, but it's a real shame what happened to Christopher Reeve after he filmed that movie)

Old 03-09-19, 04:28 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Between my wife and I have owned 8 Acura's and really enjoyed them. Honda and Acura were always in the top 5 in dependability by J D Power. This changed about six years ago. Something happened at Honda. Our later models started having troubles and that is when we switched over to Lexus. A great move. Never have had the first problem with any of them. Acura in the J D Power dependability study is 26th out of 31 manufacturers. Last year they were 20th and 2016 they were 8th. There is a scary trend here.
Old 06-25-19, 12:43 PM
Hoovey689

Excited for August Pebble Beach, to see what Acura has up their sleeves. Acura has been so quiet lately.
Old 06-25-19, 02:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The concept looks great, but its probably going to be wrong wheel drive v6.
Old 06-26-19, 05:41 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The concept looks great, but its probably going to be wrong wheel drive v6.
It will be RLX H=hybrid twin motors on rear axle AWD setup with turbo V6 most likely.

Quick Reply: 2016 Acura Precision concept will be the basis for a new Acura sedan