Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS500 sales fall off a cliff in February

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 05:01 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

It kind of sounds like this is the case
Lexus tried the whole lets go make a comparable vehicle that bests the german benchmark...F10 5 series vs the current gen GS. Every single publication awarded the GS the best drivers car ever. Did Lexus outsell anyone that year......nope
They ended up essentially paying folks to buy and lease their vehicle, while the 5 series had a great year.
Old 03-06-19, 05:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Lexus tried the whole lets go make a comparable vehicle that bests the german benchmark...F10 5 series vs the current gen GS. Every single publication awarded the GS the best drivers car ever. Did Lexus outsell anyone that year......nope
They ended up essentially paying folks to buy and lease their vehicle, while the 5 series had a great year.
Interesting point of view. I drove the new 5 series e530. Pretty impressive.
Old 03-06-19, 05:14 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I still have yet to see an LS500. I live on the road in a high population area too.

While I like it I can see why it will never match past LS sales (aside from the sedan decline). The styling might just be too much for the older, traditionally more conservative LS customer. The move to a twin turbo V6 from the bulletproof V8 setup is a turn off for people who buy theirs for the long haul. Long term reliability was a reason to buy it over the Germans and people will have doubts about a twin turbo.

Personally I prefer large luxury sedans that have straight classy lines. My favorite LS is the 2007-2012 model. The facelifted spindle grilled one (2013-) just doesn't look nearly as good.
You're not the only one, as the 2007 model year LS was best selling ever globally. Highest LS sales ever in Asia, Europe and a record for the Americas. A very clean design, that truly rivaled the competition and its sales showed for it.

LS 600hL

Other than the global crisis the next 2 years after intro, what ever went wrong? Decline of sedan sales or just an aging product? 2010 model ruined it with cheapened details, made more fussy by the 2013 model. They didn't keep up the LS momentum, in spite of the financial crisis and wither through it.

The new car had a great uptick in sales, which made it second place amongst traditional 4-door flagships last year (stateside), although hardly impressive for a redesign against a mid-cycle S-Class. More variants need to be offered, not just one hybrid and 2GR in Asia. The V35A-FTS is an impressive engine, but is it in the right vehicle?

It would be like MB just selling an S500 (TT Inline-6 W222) and hybrid S450 in just one wheelbase, ala XL CLS body. That is what Lexus did.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 03-06-19 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 05:15 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Interesting point of view. I drove the new 5 series e530. Pretty impressive.
e530?
Old 03-06-19, 05:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
e530?
Whatever they hybrid plug in is called
Old 03-06-19, 05:22 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

530e. Not a big deal about what it's called. The GS competed in a similar manner with its 450h, but of course that was not a plug in. What Lexus could have done with the platform...
Old 03-06-19, 05:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
530e. Not a big deal.
Leuxs should be at the forefront for plug in hybrid-electric. In Canada Lexus misleads as they call their model hybrid-electric.
Old 03-06-19, 05:29 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattyG

Lol. Because the poster you refer to is talking about product planning processes while the rest of the posters are talking about what's wrong with sales no.s vs the competition.
If you are referring to me, I don't think that's very accurate, when before your post I addressed strictly BMW vs Lexus sales and disagreeing with an opinionated statement.

I don't comment here often obviously, as this has never been the right forum for such an in depth discussion. I leave that for forums amongst industry peers, as opposed to other individuals not really in that area of work.

I have never really cared how obtuse individuals receive or perceive my commentary, as product planning can have an effect with`poor sales down the road anyway.

I don't live here and simply addressed one poster's own long-winded commentary regarding the dead horse (LF-FC vs LS). The person you are even responding to for that matter, is trying to indirectly disregard my posts' relevance, by pretending as if they have nothing to do with the subject matter.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 03-06-19 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 05:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Leuxs should be at the forefront for plug in hybrid-electric. In Canada Lexus misleads as they call their model hybrid-electric.
How is that misleading? They don't call it 'plug-in'
Old 03-06-19, 05:44 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Could be worse, look at the A8 sales. That I just don't get. I'm no Audi fan, but the A8 is conservatively styled and has had just better than half of the LS sales this year (526 A8s versus 947 LS500s). I expected better competition from the A8.
They overdid it on the touchscreen stuff in the A8 while making the rest of the interior pretty dull and cold. Audi interiors just are not special anymore like they used to be unless you love eliminating just about every button for a touchscreen and like minimalist designs which generally does not go with top luxury. The A8 used to be my favorite big lux sedan, the current one does absolutely nothing for me inside or out, I have not seen a single one on the road yet or maybe I have and it just did not stand out or I thought it was a A6. They really screwed the new A8 up, maybe more so then the LS500. The S class was really the way to do it, despite its astronomical price I can see why it sells so well, it is good at straddling the line between old school luxury and modern tech/features that the others just aren't getting, 7 series has some potential but I don't think its interior design looks that upscale and that motion control is just a really stupid gimmick and solves nothing. I have to say even if money was no object I would take a Genesis G90 over the new A8, new LS500, and likely 7 series though a Alpina B7 would be really nice, doubt I would take the G90 over a new S class though.
Old 03-06-19, 05:51 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I still have yet to see an LS500. I live on the road in a high population area too.
From what i have seen, best place to see some LS500 is at night time, in front of restaurants and hotels located middle of the city. I work at center of downtown Dallas, and get off work late evening; In the past week I have seen two LS500 and in my opinion, it catches ones eyes and looks gorgeous in motion. Car has really nice presence, headlights are one off a kind.

Old 03-06-19, 05:56 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Whatever they hybrid plug in is called
I see, that's what I thought. I actually forgot about the 530e, but typos do happen.

On a side note, I do find it interesting that my longer posts are snidely such an issue, considering some of the unusually long and bunched together text I find here at times and have to parse through myself.

Whatever then, as I am hardly off topic anyway and simply clearing up misconceptions and making it clear what is feasible/unfeasible for the next few years.
Old 03-06-19, 05:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
How is that misleading? They don't call it 'plug-in'
Sorry. Should of mentioned they refer to it as a a self charging hybrid electric. How is it not misleading?
Old 03-06-19, 06:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Sorry. Should of mentioned they refer to it as a a self charging hybrid electric. How is it not misleading?
Its not misleading lol

If they claimed the vehicle was Plug in and Hybrid electric, an left out the plug that would be misleading.
Old 03-06-19, 06:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That's not misleading. Lexus hybrids self charge because you drive them. If they hybrid battery gets too low, the engine turns on and acts as a generator. While actually in motion when you let off the gas pedal or hit the brakes you recoup energy. This is called KERS or kinetic energy recovery system. So yes Lexus hybrids do self charge.

Quick Reply: LS500 sales fall off a cliff in February