Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS500 sales fall off a cliff in February

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 09:31 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Exactly, it is just not a very good looking car, it does not look like a Luxury car, does not have the stately appearance of a luxury car. The LS460, while no absolute beauty with its 2013 update at least has a understated stately appearance, I just don't see it in the LS500. It is a shame because Lexus had a home run with the LC500 styling, you would figure some of that would have filtered to the LS500 inside and out yet they went a odd different direction with the LS500. It is like they wanted something more dramatic like a Jag XJ but could not get it to work so it ended up looking more like a stretched Nissan Altima. The interior design is a let down too. Making it 6 cylinder only is just the topper, I just don't see much of a reason for LS460 owners to want to upgrade to the LS500, I think many would see it as a downgrade in some aspects which is never a good thing. S class is a clear upgrade in every way over the last one which is why it sells so well.
The 5LS prototype does look absolutely great below, but apparently the design for the 5LS had already been approved and committed before this gorgeous sexy prototype was released publicly at the motor show below.
If President Akio could invest big money into doing a FULL reskinning of the 5LS at its mid-life update just like the FULL reskin of the 2012-18 Camry, then the 5.5LS will sell like hot cakes.
If TMC can do a full mid-life reskin for the previous gen Camry, I don't see why they can't do a full reskin for the 5LS?
That is something positive for Steve and GStar!

Original 2012 Camry

2015 Camry mid-life update FULLY reskinned!
Old 03-06-19, 10:04 AM
Lead Lap

Received 741 Likes on 499 Posts

Lexus execs are a bunch of stubborn old man who doesn’t listen to customer feedback. Instead they believe the dribble conducted by market research from 20 year olds who know nothing about what made Lexus Lexus but only know the latest fad.

LS is about value, luxury, understated, v8 power, and not trying to be sporty.
Old 03-06-19, 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Lexus execs are a bunch of stubborn old man who doesn’t listen to customer feedback. Instead they believe the dribble conducted by market research from 20 year olds who know nothing about what made Lexus Lexus but only know the latest fad.

Post of the Year.
Old 03-06-19, 10:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 703

The 3rd gen LS430 which I have, did .73g on the skidpad. To say it's not sporty is an understatement! Yet it's a great car overall. The brakes are small yet it has 4 fixed calipers, rather an anamoly (probably 2000 technology). We don't drive on a test track, and it's ok to go 5-15 mph below the recommended speed on curves and onramps! To your point, that generation delivered to its audience. Not sure if the LS500 knows who its audience is. I thought it was the S550 and A8L buyers, but apparently that's not the case.
Old 03-06-19, 10:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I don't know which is right, 97 cu ft or 99 cu ft., but its interior size puts it in competition with a 5 series, not a 7 series. E class, not S class. So now the price is way too high and the powerplant way too underwhelming. Not sure how they missed it so badly on the flagship. And the steering has zero feel. ...
ouch. as for steering feel, the ls has always felt like a boat through the steering wheel, but generally that's what target buyers want, and eeeezy drive. it's not a sports car.

Originally Posted by spwolf
Lexus was growing 4.4% last month in the USA, while all the Germans dropped sales, up to 12% drop at Audi.

​​​Future is bright.
that 'growth' was from the cheapo ux of course, a tarted up raised corolla for twice the price.
Old 03-06-19, 10:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Post of the Year.
have to agree. there are many exquisite details about the new LS for sure. but the v6, space [in]efficiency, overstyled shape, just say "please, please look at me!" more than "i'm a baller and i don't care if you look at me or not but i know you're looking!"
Old 03-06-19, 10:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 703

The new V6TT has more power and torque than the outgoing V8
Old 03-06-19, 10:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
What will Lexus do?
Nothing. Every now and then companies have stars (ala LS400, Evolution, Taurus, Beetle) but stars fade. Unless you have the below attached to your grill, you'll never match it. Goes for any car company. There is too much cache, heritage, prestige, and pedigree for them to falter in society's eyes.

Old 03-06-19, 10:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The new V6TT has more power and torque than the outgoing V8
maybe so but a v8 will always be smoother. if i had to do it over i would have gotten the v8 g90 even with worse gas mileage, because i'm sure (even though i've not driven one) it's quiter and smoother under load, even though the v6tt in my g90 is incredible.

Old 03-06-19, 10:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe so but a v8 will always be smoother. if i had to do it over i would have gotten the v8 g90 even with worse gas mileage, because i'm sure (even though i've not driven one) it's quiter and smoother under load, even though the v6tt in my g90 is incredible.
The argument was about power. The V6TT in the LS is pretty high on both. 415/440 I think. They should of made a V6, V8 and a limited edition V12. That would of been special
Old 03-06-19, 11:07 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The argument was about power. The V6TT in the LS is pretty high on both. 415/440 I think. They should of made a V6, V8 and a limited edition V12. That would of been special
416 and 442
Old 03-06-19, 11:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

ouch. as for steering feel, the ls has always felt like a boat through the steering wheel, but generally that's what target buyers want, and eeeezy drive. it's not a sports car.

that 'growth' was from the cheapo ux of course, a tarted up raised corolla for twice the price.
Seriously, I know it's been an issue with electric power steering, and for whatever reason, from my experience, the Chevys have always been "ok" i.e. above average. Cruze, Malibu, Impala. All rentals.

With the F series BMW, 328/330/335 (I actually never got a 340 loaner), they have zero feel as well. When put into sport +, there is actually effort, but no feel. Apparently, this is gone with the new BMW 3, and steering is back. The Porsche 991 was not as good as the 997, but at least as good as the Chevys.

If you drive a 2018 BMW 3 series, then get in my LS430, the LS has a lot more feel and effort, seriously. So the fact that BMW can bring it back on the new 3 series, means others can too. Imitation is the best form of flattery. I don't think Toyota even tried--they have smart people there, but I bet their hands are tied. If the heads turn their staff loose like they did in 1980, they could do what they did in 1989. But today? Who even wants to wait anymore...it'd probably take 5 years to see the results...
Old 03-06-19, 11:33 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
439 units sold. Worse than 2013, 2014, and 2015. Better than 2016 and 2017, but I suspect that was due to the long promised 2018 LS being teased as just around the corner.

For comparison, the S Class sold 1,061 and the 7 Series sold 851. Both cars are significantly older than the LS500, with the S Class being introduced in 2013 and the 7 series being introduced in 2015. My local dealer stills have several 2018s sitting on the lot. With a new S-Class and substantial update to the 7 series just around the corner, I don't see things getting much better.

What will Lexus do? Possible early redesign? Deeper discounts? Possible cancellation?
Good post (regarding thread), but that would be 2013 for the W222 S-Class, as in July 2013 for Europe and September 2013 for North America. For anyone else that calls my concern pedantic, yes it does matter, as a new one is out next year and you're mistakenly giving the wrong impression of a short 6 year life cycle. MB has never done less than 7 solid years on the S-Class nameplate.

As for the LS, there is so much that many of you don't know about how and why it was developed, that if I had the time, I would share it in a long form post. Will not cuz TL;DR. As for an early XF50 facelift, it will not happen if plans have not been made early enough and considering it was launched a year ago, a late 2020 facelift seems too soon, but not unfeasible if work has been underway since 2017.

For a D-segment luxury flagship, these cars require some 1.5 to 2 years to have major changes fully locked in, before basic SOP. We're not even talking about ongoing design work, but SIGN-OFF. The last LS update for MY 2013, was a 2010 effort and signed off weeks before the 2011 natural disaster. The new LS itself, was designed almost 4 years before release, originally intended to arrive earlier than it did in early 2018. That is highly atypical for Toyota, but the case with new models.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 03-06-19 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-06-19, 11:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
As for the LS, there is so much that many of you don't know about how and why it was developed, that if I had the time, I would share it in a long form post.
Was one of the objectives to try to cram people into a small on the inside, expensive car, while eliminating two cylinders?
Old 03-06-19, 12:03 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If I get a G90, I really want the V8 even if there is a fuel economy penalty, I have been very impressed with Genesis/Hyundai V8's and I think a 8 cylinder suits a large heavy sedan like the G90 better.

Quick Reply: LS500 sales fall off a cliff in February