Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS500 sales fall off a cliff in February

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 08:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Jill, I really don't understand this post.

This is a negative review that just proves what a disaster the 500 is.
while I do not disagree that the LS might be a disaster. And everything that CR or MT has said might be correct about the missing V8. I was just pointing out that, despite the criticism online in this forum, it appears that satisfaction is very high for those who have actually purchased the model, according to CR. This IMO, is in contrast to the negative comments that many people have about the model. The very low US sales should be of concern.

The 2017 LS460 gets at 66% buy again response from owners. The 2018 LS500 gets a 71% buy again rating from owners.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-11-19 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-11-19, 08:38 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS sales may be down but RC sales are up. Refresh, anyone? ES sales up too. I think the ES looks too much like the LS and maybe some people say I can get the baby LS and don't care it's fwd. The ES is the bread and butter Lexus sedan anyway. Lets see how March does. Is there any incentives going on for the LS?
Old 03-11-19, 10:19 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
439 units sold. Worse than 2013, 2014, and 2015. Better than 2016 and 2017, but I suspect that was due to the long promised 2018 LS being teased as just around the corner.

For comparison, the S Class sold 1,061 and the 7 Series sold 851. Both cars are significantly older than the LS500, with the S Class being introduced in 2014 and the 7 series being introduced in 2015. My local dealer stills have several 2018s sitting on the lot. With a new S-Class and substantial update to the 7 series just around the corner, I don't see things getting much better.

What will Lexus do? Possible early redesign? Deeper discounts? Possible cancellation?
Originally Posted by Sulu
I see no discrepancy between a high satisfaction score and low overall sales -- the few who were curious and courageous enough to own and drive this new LS like it (and this clip seems to be talking about the current, 2018+, 5th-generation LS, not the older, 4th-generation model).

The corollary is that the large number of people on this thread, who do not own this new LS, say they do not like it. Perhaps if they were willing to drive it on a longer-term, regular basis, they would like it also.

I see a commonality between this and the recent change that Rotten Tomatoes did to no longer accept user reviews until a film has been publicly released. Too many people were giving poor reviews of the new Captain Marvel movie, even before it was available to be publicly viewed (and reviewed).

Too many people are giving reviews of a product that they have not even tried.
99% of posters in this thread are offering their opinion as to why the LS500 only sold 439 units in February - the latter which is a fact.
Why must they test drive it?
439 units is a fact.
Of course President Akio is not happy with 439; he is no dunce.
All those posters are entitled to their opinions.

Back in 1984, Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns badly knocked out Roberto Duran.
Roberto Duran lost.
Is that so hard to accept?
Must we pretend that Roberto Duran was something he is not?
Must every poster fight Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns before they can give their opinion as to why Roberto Duran lost?

When we fail - we fail.
We must get back on our own two feet and do better next time.
Why is that so difficult to accept?

Put opinions aside - anyone who is reasonably intelligent would accept the fact is that the LS500 is gone...

Last edited by peteharvey; 03-11-19 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 03:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I don’t bother with hating on CR as much anymore. It’s the only magazine that anyone really talks about on here. It’s just odd that so many people are hating on the LS500 all the while it’s scoring high on CR satisfaction
people who hate on it likely never considered it due to the price or some othe factor
Old 03-12-19, 07:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
99% of posters in this thread are offering their opinion as to why the LS500 only sold 439 units in February - the latter which is a fact.
Why must they test drive it?
439 units is a fact.
Of course President Akio is not happy with 439; he is no dunce.
Well, he was (presumably) the one who signed off on the present radical re-design....he should have listened more to the LS's traditional owners (same at Cadillac, BTW). I've been saying for years that this class of luxury sedan is not meant to be sport-oriented. People in the market for a sedan like this usually want a soft-riding, plush-interior luxo-cruiser, with the smoothest possible engine, even if it is not a powerhouse. The designers of the LS got away from that theme on the latest one....and are paying the price.

Put opinions aside - anyone who is reasonably intelligent would accept the fact is that the LS500 is gone...
I disagree. All that proves is that they need to admit their mistake, get to work on the next redesign ASAP and make it more along the lines of what it was before, in the LS460.
Old 03-12-19, 08:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, he was (presumably) the one who signed off on the present radical re-design....he should have listened more to the LS's traditional owners (same at Cadillac, BTW). I've been saying for years that this class of luxury sedan is not meant to be sport-oriented. People in the market for a sedan like this usually want a soft-riding, plush-interior luxo-cruiser, with the smoothest possible engine, even if it is not a powerhouse. The designers of the LS got away from that theme on the latest one....and are paying the price.

I disagree. All that proves is that they need to admit their mistake, get to work on the next redesign ASAP and make it more along the lines of what it was before, in the LS460.
I really think that with sedans becoming less popular overall, for this kind of money in a sedan, people don't want to be cramped. If they are looking for something to cross shop with an A6 or 550i, then they will look to a GS, not a LS. To make the flagship look like a Mazda 6, and to have 99 cu ft inside (less than the Mazda 6), is imho a misstep. I understand this is a Lexus forum and one is generally not allowed to post negative comments about Lexus, but I can't imagine anyone calling this model a smashing success. If we look to what happened to the Nissan Maxima starting around 2004 to date, I think that could very well be the fate of the LS.
Old 03-12-19, 08:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Ok folks, this thread is repetitive with the same folks saying the same things over and over.