Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Elon keeps promise of $35K Model 3

Old 03-04-19, 02:00 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
really, what kind of test was re-evaluated?
Consumer Reports - they would have given the P85D a 103 out of 100. They had to modify the way they weight and rank things to bring it back down (it got a 99 after they adjusted it).

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/te...rts-2015-08-27
Old 03-04-19, 03:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Consumer Reports - they would have given the P85D a 103 out of 100. They had to modify the way they weight and rank things to bring it back down (it got a 99 after they adjusted it).

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/te...rts-2015-08-27
and they later stopped recommending Tesla Model S and now Model 3 due to large amount of issues reported by owner. CR stupid number based drive reviews are stupidest thing ever.

You mentioned safety, so I thought maybe you were thinking about safety... I am sure you realize that for a long time Model S was without auto brake system, and that currently it likely would not get 5 star crash test in rest of the world.
Old 03-05-19, 10:27 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

You mentioned safety, so I thought maybe you were thinking about safety... I am sure you realize that for a long time Model S was without auto brake system, and that currently it likely would not get 5 star crash test in rest of the world.
And I'm sure you are aware that every Tesla model has gotten the highest rating possible from NHTSA. To quote an article on this topic, "The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has released its safety rating for the Tesla Model 3 today and the electric vehicle has gotten a perfect 5-star safety rating in every category. Tesla achieved the same impressive results in the Model S and Model X."

Old 03-05-19, 10:45 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a Model 3, just don't open the trunk if the deck lid is wet or it's raining. Curiously, Tesla forgot that minor detail and water pours into your trunk.
Old 03-05-19, 10:46 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
If you have a Model 3, just don't open the trunk if the deck lid is wet or it's raining. Curiously, Tesla forgot that minor detail and water pours into your trunk.
I'll have to search for a video. I wonder if it's as bad as the LS 460 trunk.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ing-trunk.html

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-05-19 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-05-19, 10:48 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
And I'm sure you are aware that every Tesla model has gotten the highest rating possible from NHTSA. To quote an article on this topic, "The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has released its safety rating for the Tesla Model 3 today and the electric vehicle has gotten a perfect 5-star safety rating in every category. Tesla achieved the same impressive results in the Model S and Model X."
Got to love all that open space for crumple zones. Less things to intrude into the cavin compared to an ICE car.
Old 03-05-19, 05:36 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

stop comparing it to Apple that always rates #1 in quality. It is Tesla owners that report all these issues, not imaginary people. And yes, they can still like the cars and brand even if they have issues with vehicles.

And again, it does not follow the path that Apple has taken at all.
Hahaha, I would love to here more of the "Quality" Apple has. More so, implementing their hidden slowdowns, repair centers that perform shoddy repairs, antennagate where the problem lies with the operator of the iphone, bendgate, screen issues. Thats not to say that any maker of hardware is different or better.

Tesla is not Apple, but mimics certain facets of Apple for better or worse
Old 03-05-19, 07:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,681 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Apple quality is TERRIBLE ask anyone that repairs them.
Old 03-11-19, 09:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Other way around. Dealers are going away and certain mall 'galleries' are staying around. They're offering 7 day / 1,000 mile trials instead
and today Tesla announced that they are not closing every dealer and that will be raising prices once again.

lol.

Tesla will raise prices on its cars, reverses plan to close stores

Tesla has reversed its move to close stores, the company announced in a blog post. To keep those stores open, the company says it will raise the prices of Tesla vehicles by 3 percent worldwide on March 18, except for the $35,000 Model 3, which will remain the same price.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/11/1...tores-reversal

​​​​​​​

Old 03-11-19, 01:49 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i remember a while back musk sent a short seller a box of short shorts, i think that seller should return the favor by sending musk a box of flip flops. lol

Old 03-11-19, 02:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

and today Tesla announced that they are not closing every dealer and that will be raising prices once again.

lol.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/11/1...tores-reversal
and the stock went up 2%, presumably because the market thought the prior decision was stupid. but more importantly, perhaps it's hoping the price increase will not impact demand much but will help the bottom line.
Old 03-11-19, 04:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and the stock went up 2%, presumably because the market thought the prior decision was stupid. but more importantly, perhaps it's hoping the price increase will not impact demand much but will help the bottom line.
This is a natural consequence of the fact (and I've mentioned this before, in other posts) that Tesla's system of company-owned dealerships, and all of their overhead, was simply more bitten off than could be chewed. That system, which is simple but expensive, has never worked on any significant scale for any firm in the history of auto manufacturing. That is why most dealerships, outside of Tesla, are privately-owned franchises, who absorb most of the non-production costs.
Old 03-12-19, 07:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riredale
By the way, I think SpaceX is very cool. Kudos to Musk for that.
this made me think of something... i wonder what the carbon footprint of a spacex launch is compared to ‘savings’ from tesla cars.
Old 03-12-19, 07:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

this made me think of something... i wonder what the carbon footprint of a spacex launch is compared to ‘savings’ from tesla cars.

I don't know if you were around for the Saturn V moon-launches in the 60s and 70s, where the absolutely immense power of the five main first-stage boosters, combined, on launch, provided 7,650,000 pounds of thrust, and could empty an Olympic-sized swimming pool full of rocket fuel (not to mention the 80,000 gallons of liquid oxygen also needed) in roughly thirty seconds. At the National Air and Space Museum downtown (where I was once was a Tour Guide), we had one of those five big boosters set up, with a special mirror-effect, where you could look at it and "see" all five boosters at once. Those of you who have been through the Museum may have seen it.

Old 03-12-19, 01:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ i live not that far from the space center, where they have an entire saturn five in a building on its side. and a shutle, and...

anyway, back to tesla...

no idea what's meant by the latest headline of autopilot going back to 'normal pricing'... i guess it was raised recently for some features and now they've reversed that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Elon keeps promise of $35K Model 3