Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Elon keeps promise of $35K Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Every tesla owner i know is thrilled with it and loves to talk about it. That’s gold.

That's because the company has essentially become a cult, with Musk as a cult-leader. A significant portion of the public has been lulled by the glamorization of the Tesla battery-propulsion system as the answer to the future. We saw the same cult-like glamorization a couple of decades ago, with the Toyota Prius, when it was introduced and proliferated in the U.S., as the magic-wand gas-mileage/environmental solution, and, a few years before that, with Subaru and Audi AWD systems, as the niche-solution to all of winter's driving problems.
Old 03-03-19, 08:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

You can call it a cult if you want the same thing was said about Apple and still is. Apple is of course wildly successful. BTW a BEV is not some mirage the cars drive great, instant torque, quiet and the Model 3 especially drives extremely well. People love them because they are good cars not because their brains are in some trance like you suggest.
Old 03-03-19, 08:41 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The guys at TFL do a nice break down of what you get and don't get in a $35k Model 3

Old 03-03-19, 08:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You can call it a cult if you want the same thing was said about Apple and still is. Apple is of course wildly successful. BTW a BEV is not some mirage the cars drive great, instant torque, quiet and the Model 3 especially drives extremely well. People love them because they are good cars not because their brains are in some trance like you suggest.

I wasn't suggesting a brain trance.....simply that the company has been over-hyped as the solution to all of the ICE's problems. I've seen it happen in the past, with other vehicles and companies.

And, BTW.....I am a fan of Apple's products. Been pleased with every one of them I've owned....far fewer problems than with Microsoft Windows. Apple is not a cult, but a company that simply knows how to build computers and i-Phones.
Old 03-04-19, 06:52 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wasn't suggesting a brain trance.....simply that the company has been over-hyped as the solution to all of the ICE's problems. I've seen it happen in the past, with other vehicles and companies.

And, BTW.....I am a fan of Apple's products. Been pleased with every one of them I've owned....far fewer problems than with Microsoft Windows. Apple is not a cult, but a company that simply knows how to build computers and i-Phones.
Apple has grown tremendously from the early iPhone 3GS days. Each incremental model is a product of bleeding edge tech influences and manufacturing in China (Foxconn). Iphone evolutions have benefited improvements in ipads and computers.

It is no surprise that the 2nd major Tesla plant will be in China. Incremental improvements in manufacturing efficiencies and and tech standardization will drive costs down even further. This will have the Europeans super nervous as being unable to have a competitive product price wise (eg always can get a better equipped Tesla at the price an Audi eTron (or insert german car model here).

Did you know that the eTron manufacturing planning needed some further revision to realize some cost savings of $2-3k per car? It shows that the German mfgs are getting nervous without a real product (and lacks any track record of miles logged by it's drivers). Whenever they do have a product, it still has to go through a learning curve (road worthiness and safety, and of course it needs several accidents too )

The future of EV's are going to be down to a handful of 3-5 companies in the world. Tesla has the first seat at the table. Who's going to be next will be a great question answered in the 2020 decade. By 2025, Tesla may very well have 2-3 million vehicles on the road. the eTron limping into specialized production at 50k yearly is not a game changer when Tesla will have 5 product lines running, with a similar interface and feel. In time, Tesla will become the company that knows how to build ev's and a lot more. All eyes are on the Model Y preview in Mid March. These recent price reductions are not only a result of online sales shift but a forecasted future manufacturing shift where more profitability comes from Model Y sales (because it is a SUV, and gives you a bit more than a model 3). The big question here is how soon will it arrive if 75% of the car is already baked in from Model 3 manufacturing. This shows the brilliance of doing the sedan version first, scale up mfg, then blast off with Model Y sales. Chinese streamlining and innovations simply cannot be underestimated.
Old 03-04-19, 07:02 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Wow, US Tesla forum is full of new threads with owners miffed that their shiny new car dropped $7K in value in just a month or two. I guess they should be happy it didn't drop $25K in a matter of days for owners in other markets.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...51797660899686
Old 03-04-19, 08:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
In time, Tesla will become the company that knows how to build ev's and a lot more.
that is, if they don't run out of money first.

The big question here is how soon will [model Y] arrive if 75% of the car is already baked in from Model 3 manufacturing. This shows the brilliance of doing the sedan version first, scale up mfg, then blast off with Model Y sales. Chinese streamlining and innovations simply cannot be underestimated.
not appreciating the brilliance of which you speak when sedans sales are collapsing in the u.s. and cuv/suvs sales continue to explode. seems to be it would have been more 'brilliant' to do the Y first.
Old 03-04-19, 09:43 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

that is, if they don't run out of money first.
Elon keeps promise of K Model 3-f0kkhmw.gif
not appreciating the brilliance of which you speak when sedans sales are collapsing in the u.s. and cuv/suvs sales continue to explode. seems to be it would have been more 'brilliant' to do the Y first.
????
Originally Posted by All4Lexus
This shows the brilliance of doing the sedan version first, scale up mfg, then blast off with Model Y sales. Chinese streamlining and innovations simply cannot be underestimated.
This is bang on If Tesla came out with the Y first demand would have far far outstripped supply.
Old 03-04-19, 09:49 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My guess is that if Musk got a "do over" he would have done a simpler model X (no Falcon doors) and a model Y as soon as possible. It seems that no one saw the collapse of sedan sales in time to anticipate it. Hyundai with their Genesis is an example or Cadillac spending all that development money on the CT6 sedan. Think where Lincoln might be if they had saved the Continental development money and released the updated Navigator 3 years earlier.
Old 03-04-19, 10:12 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Model 3 was the best selling luxury vehicle in 2018. You might say wait, luxury model? Well yes given the price point it is. Tesla made the right call here the sales numbers prove it.

source
Old 03-04-19, 10:22 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Every tesla owner i know is thrilled with it and loves to talk about it. That’s gold.
I couldn't possibly agree more. In my world, we use NPS (net promoter score) which is the attempt at measuring how engaged your customers are, how happy they are, and thus determine how likely they are to be evangelists for your brand. This is why I started a thread a few months ago saying I don't care what Consumer Reports says anymore - they throw things like a misaligned door panel into "reliability" ratings - and how I feel the true measure of a car company is really something like NPS and customer engagement. I know 10-15 Tesla owners and every single one of them loves their car, promotes the product, and would buy another one. That's powerful.
Old 03-04-19, 10:27 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't see it that way at all. Tesla came out with cars that performed so well in safety and driving tests that those folks had to re-evaluate the ways they measured vehicles. On top of that, they're good looking cars (which is subjective, but I'm not sure anyone could possibly argue that any Tesla car doesn't look better than a Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Prius, etc). Throw in the emotion that some folks get for feeling like they're contributing to a greater cause (helping the environment) and you have a unique company that deserves hype because they're the reason that all other manufacturers are shifting their portfolio and design to good looking, performance driven EV's. Tesla's stock may be over-valued (who knows), but the hype the company gets is warranted IMO.
Old 03-04-19, 12:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
stop comparing it to Apple that always rates #1 in quality. It is Tesla owners that report all these issues, not imaginary people. And yes, they can still like the cars and brand even if they have issues with vehicles.

And again, it does not follow the path that Apple has taken at all.
Old 03-04-19, 12:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Tesla came out with cars that performed so well in safety and driving tests that those folks had to re-evaluate the ways they measured vehicles.
really, what kind of test was re-evaluated?
Old 03-04-19, 12:51 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I drive an RX hybrid. I'm an electrical engineer by training. I was very much impressed by how Toyota could get so much additional fuel economy out of an ICE by the judicious use of electric motors and a modestly-sized traction battery, and do it in a way that was pretty much transparent to my regular lifestyle.

I've never driven a pure EV. I would be impressed by the acceleration and would be intrigued by the Model3's flat panel display. I would be concerned by the fact that last year the Model3 had lousy braking but then Tesla downloaded some new code and now it's fine. Then why did Tesla not download the new code at the beginning? To have that much remote control makes me a bit nervous, like leaving my PC totally in the hands of Microsoft for automatic updates.

And I do NOT want to have to plug in my car in my garage, or even worse, at the airport or in a shopping center. I want to just get in and go, knowing I will never suffer from Range Anxiety, no matter how long the trip or where I travel.

I worked at Apple back in the early days when the Mac was first introduced. We were more than a cult, we were a religion. We believed in the obvious benefits of WYSIWYG and a non-cryptic user interface. Nowadays every other company believes the same thing, so the religion of Apple is not as strong as it was then. But it was strong back then and for good reason.

Anyway, I think some folks love Tesla because they love the technology, and other folks love Tesla because they are virtue-signaling how caring they are for the planet compared to us cavemen. Whatever. Interesting times.

By the way, I think SpaceX is very cool. Kudos to Musk for that.

Quick Reply: Elon keeps promise of $35K Model 3