Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Finding Heads Up Display for my car - Astonishingly hard

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 03:08 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Unhappy Finding Heads Up Display for my car - Astonishingly hard

Hello again. As you all know now, I'm from Switzerland, a beautiful place for it's twisty roads, but also, a place where fines can cost ludicrus amount of money.

As you imagine, I'm obsessed with my speed and always check to never outpass the given maximal speed.

Lately, I changed car for a IS300 Sportcross. Extremely clean, low mileage, and beautiful car. I like a lot of things in this car, but one thing that is a little bit annoying, is the Speedometer. It's artistic and beautiful to look at. But it simply doesn't has the same precision as it's digital counterparts.

I thought that finding a good HUD would be a nice idea and easy, because they are a lot of them. But I see that a lot of them are made as cheap as possible, what is a problem for me. For example, this means that I didn't met a single HUD that simply projects the speed on the windshield. I have an alarm clock that can do exactly that, but for an actual HUD... no, this isn't possible.

They all need some sort of transparent film for performing, and it's not by projection, but with reflexion.

Others are with a sort of visor that pops up, what I find cheap and annoying.

I also don't like the fact that some are literally some sort of partylight with dozens of things going on. Or gigantic in the size they show the things up.

I don't need gps, nor telephone, I don't need anything else outside of my actual speed projected on the whindshield in a discrete and efficient way.

Is there anything out there that will fulfill this task as desired ?
Old 02-18-19, 04:51 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Theres a reason why HUD OE, require special windshields. The ones you mentioned are the only types you can find, and work best a night
Old 02-18-19, 07:10 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Thank you for this indication that I wasn't aware of. I will change my plans in this case and go for an additionnal inside gauge. ^^
Old 02-18-19, 07:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
one thing that is a little bit annoying, is the Speedometer. It's artistic and beautiful to look at. But it simply doesn't has the same precision as it's digital counterparts.
Can't really help you on the heads-up problem, but I can say that part of the problem with analog speedometers is that most automakers, for reasons I can't fathom long ago, switched from 10-MPH number -increments 10, 20, 30, etc.... to 20, 40, 60, etc.... that makes it more difficult for you to instantly determine the needle-position. In your case, being in Switzerland, you probably use the KPH system, not MPH.....but the general effect is the same.

Oh, and I agree....the Alps have some of the most beautiful roads and scenery in the world, but those hairpin turns and steep cliffs are no joke.....let your guard down for just a second or two, and the result could be obvious.
Old 02-18-19, 07:41 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

https://hudway.co/drive?utm_source=d...e_subscription
Old 02-18-19, 04:54 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

i've been eyeing this
are you going to buy one?
hard to make a decision on a prototype, this is kind of like kickstarter
Old 02-18-19, 11:25 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by heidihidin
i've been eyeing this
are you going to buy one?
hard to make a decision on a prototype, this is kind of like kickstarter
I had the Navdy on my RCF, very similar to this one. sadly Navdy went out of business and the unit is essentially unusable, it linked to your phone for navigation and to google maps, so that part is dead, the app is not supported in the current version of Android or iOS, it also connected to ODBII so speedo and Tach still work,.

My current vehicle (genesis G80) has build in HUD, so no need for the HUDWAY.. My uncle also had a Navdy for is MX-5 and is on the preorder for the HUDWAY, he's 71 and has no intention of buying another vehicle, but he is a techy, spent 40 years as a college IT professor and likes gadgets like this.