Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should You Give Your Son or Daughter a Vehicle of Their Own?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 08:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
also, are we making a distinction between "getting" a car and a kid just being able to use their parents car?
I tried to clarify that in the OP, but sorry if it was unclear. I'm refering to a vehicle, legally in the child's name, bought for and paid for (or leased), at least in part, by the parents, not entirely with the kid's own money. In other words, it's either a full-gift or partial-gift. One would assume that, in most cases, the kid will also pay the operating expenses, though that would depend on whatever agreement is worked out with the parents. I'm my case, I drove my parent's two cars (mostly paying for the gas myself) for probably 18 months or so before I was given my own car, in my own name, right after I graduated from high school. I honestly don't remember, though, how we had the insurance set up while I was driving my folks' cars .....that was a long time ago.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-14-19 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 06:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I tried to clarify that in the OP, but sorry if it was unclear. I'm referring to a vehicle, legally in the child's name, bought for and paid for (or leased), at least in part, by the parents, not entirely with the kid's own money. In other words, it's either a full-gift or partial-gift. One would assume that, in most cases, the kid will also pay the operating expenses, though that would depend on whatever agreement is worked out with the parents. I'm my case, I drove my parent's two cars (mostly paying for the gas myself) for probably 18 months or so before I was given my own car, in my own name, right after I graduated from high school. I honestly don't remember, though, how we had the insurance set up while I was driving my folks' cars .....that was a long time ago.
I don't know why anyone would register the car--no matter who paid for it--in the kid's name.
Old 02-15-19, 07:14 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I plan on doing what my dad did for me. When I got to high school, I took public transportation to and from school. I didn't get a car until a year after I got my license. Later on in life, my dad told me that he treated that first year as a probationary period - if I proved that I could drive responsibly and safely, then he would be able to trust me with my own car. After that first year, he gave me his car, which was a 1984 Chevy Celebrity (a car as old as I was at the time). I was responsible for gas, insurance (though the car was still under his name), my own license, and any tickets I happened to get. He treated himself to a new Toyota soon after.

I firmly believe that taking public transportation and having to make the 15-minute walks to and from the bus stops made me appreciate the privilege of driving so much more. I agree that many children are too entitled these days, and I plan on ensuring that my daughter (and any future kids I might have) fully understand the responsibility and the privilege of owning their own car. She turns 1 in a couple of days, so I have plenty of time before I have to give up my CX-9, haha.
Old 02-15-19, 07:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't know why anyone would register the car--no matter who paid for it--in the kid's name.

IMO, that's at least partly how a young person learns responsibility. Can't always depend on Mom and Dad for everything. Even so, besides, in an emergency or unforeseen crisis, if Junior can't meet the daty-to-day expenses of owning and operating the vehicle, he or she can always work out something with Mom and Dad.
Old 02-15-19, 07:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I plan on doing what my dad did for me. When I got to high school, I took public transportation to and from school. I didn't get a car until a year after I got my license. Later on in life, my dad told me that he treated that first year as a probationary period - if I proved that I could drive responsibly and safely, then he would be able to trust me with my own car. After that first year, he gave me his car, which was a 1984 Chevy Celebrity (a car as old as I was at the time). I was responsible for gas, insurance (though the car was still under his name), my own license, and any tickets I happened to get. He treated himself to a new Toyota soon after.

I firmly believe that taking public transportation and having to make the 15-minute walks to and from the bus stops made me appreciate the privilege of driving so much more. I agree that many children are too entitled these days, and I plan on ensuring that my daughter (and any future kids I might have) fully understand the responsibility and the privilege of owning their own car. She turns 1 in a couple of days, so I have plenty of time before I have to give up my CX-9, haha.
An excellent post. Many states, today, treat their licensing requirements more or less in the same manner...a "probationary" period, when one gets a highly-restricted temporary license, followed by a somewhat less-restrictive one, followed by a another less-restricted one, etc.... until you have your permanent one. Keep your nose clean during each stage, obey the rules, no chargeable accidents or tickets, etc... and you advance to the next stage. Your ultimate reward, of course, is your permanent license.
Old 02-15-19, 08:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My oldest is 7, so I have a ways to go, but I plan on helping out my kids with a car, though I can't see just buying one outright. My first car cost me $2650. It was a 10 year old Honda CR-X. I saved up $1000 on my own (took awhile at $4.10 an hour), and my parents offered to pay the other $1650, with me repaying it to them at $100 a month. I had to cover insurance and gas on my own. I could see myself doing something similar with my kids - floating a loan, going in 50/50, or something of that sort.

I think I can easily help out my kids without it being a hand-out, and can do it in a way that allows them to have some responsibility and pride of ownership.
Old 02-15-19, 08:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO, that's at least partly how a young person learns responsibility. Can't always depend on Mom and Dad for everything. Even so, besides, in an emergency or unforeseen crisis, if Junior can't meet the daty-to-day expenses of owning and operating the vehicle, he or she can always work out something with Mom and Dad.
Expenses is not equal to ownership and title. Title in a 18 year old's name is a bad idea.
Old 02-15-19, 10:45 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I have 2 college-age daughters.... When the older one got her license, she got to drive MY Jetta TDI (had to stress to her the consequences of putting gas in the tank OVER and OVER, but thankfully no oops moments). When the younger one got her license (2 years later), I sold the TDI, bought an LS460 for the mrs, the older one got to drive my wife’s CX9, and we picked up an older Honda Fit for the younger one. Both were good kids, had jobs in high school, and paid for their own gas. Putting the cars in their name wouldn’t have made sense - the insurance was/is crazy enough with the cars being in our name. The biggest advantage of them driving was the freedom we gained - both could get to/from school activities and jobs. There’s no real public transportation in the burbs of Chicago where we live.
Old 02-15-19, 10:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

What is this notiion of giving a car to your son/daughter. Does this someone demonstrate the goodness/strength of your love? Why not just give them a job at your co. while you're at it. I look at these actions as enabling. Hey, pal, listen, you're 45 y.o. now, any plans on moving out? lol
Old 02-15-19, 10:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
My oldest is 7, so I have a ways to go, but I plan on helping out my kids with a car, though I can't see just buying one outright. My first car cost me $2650. It was a 10 year old Honda CR-X. I saved up $1000 on my own (took awhile at $4.10 an hour), and my parents offered to pay the other $1650, with me repaying it to them at $100 a month. I had to cover insurance and gas on my own. I could see myself doing something similar with my kids - floating a loan, going in 50/50, or something of that sort.

I think I can easily help out my kids without it being a hand-out, and can do it in a way that allows them to have some responsibility and pride of ownership.
My oldest is 5, but it is similar to 7, I consider us in the same boat. I had a former colleague and I told the story before. His kids were 3 and 5 at the time. His wife said, "When Kyle turns 16, he's getting a Mustang GT." (it would be hilarious if it turns out you're my former coworker because the age fits the scenario I'm retelling)

I asked my colleague, where in the world does that come from? He goes doesn't matter, "Not gonna happen."

Well, after meeting his wife, I think it will happen as she wears the pants. Anyhow, he said something that made sense to me.

"Before any of my kids can drive, they have to be able to do three things. 1) Change the oil 2) Drive a stick 3) change a tire" werd.
Old 02-15-19, 12:30 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I have 4 nieces & nephews in CA that have no desire to drive, much less own, a car. They ride a bike anywhere they want to go within 3 miles, school, beach, friends house. Very few of their friends drive either. My nephew starts college in the fall & doesn't have a drivers license.
Old 02-15-19, 12:56 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Since mjeds brought working into the mix, I'll throw in my thoughts there as well, which are only slightly divergent from his. When he's in school, I want his focus to be on school and related activities, and therefore only taking a job that is in furtherance of his education/career. Something related to his major, most likely. If that's in the sciences, lab assistant for example. In CS or IT, campus tech support would be fine. Things like that. But I wouldn't want him to be working at a fast-food joint, mall store or movie theater, as that would be taking time away from his studies and other enrichment for little benefit beyond the meager paycheck. In my mind it's penny wise and pound foolish to work until 2 or 3 in the morning to make a few hundred bucks a week, and then sleep through class, when school costs $20-60k/year. In the summer is a different story, unless he chooses to take summer classes I would expect him to work more or less full-time.
not really a divergent, I feel the same way. As long as she is working within the realm of her major, or career goals, that is fine, but school comes first. in summer it's on her unless she is enrolled in summer courses.

Old 02-15-19, 01:04 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

At one time, it was taught in high schools (as it should be, IMO). I don't know if it still is...Being single, and not a parent, I haven't kept up with a lot of today's school curriculums.
not in CA any longer, can't speak for other states. CA started dropping it in the 1980s, I got drivers ed, written classes in 1985,. but by 1986 my district had fully dropped in car training, due to rising costs of insurance and vehicles even back then. I had to take an outside course, "sears" driving school as it were.

my Niece graduated H.S. in 1999 and not even drivers ed for her, everything had to be outside course. Schools no longer offer any type of driving courses. She had no interest in driving anyway, only got a license and car when she was 22 because grandma, (my mother) was declared legally blind and the DMV took her license away. My niece relied on grandma to chauffer her everywhere and my mom obliged because it was the only time she got to spend with her grand child. Even at 22 the DMV required her to have a driving course because she had never gotten a permit.
Old 02-15-19, 01:06 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

We bought our 15 year old son a CPO 2017 RX350 last year. It was the best fit considering a lot of factors, with safety being a primary concern. No regrets. He appreciates it and he wanted and we needed a SUV in the family.
Old 02-15-19, 01:14 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

We are very fortunate on how things worked out with our son. In 2003 I bought a Honda Element and drove it for a year or so with the plan to let my son drive it when he turned 16. I will second the parent independence comment above as our son was on the high school swim team with 5 am practices. While the Element was still in my name, I planned on him keeping it.

Fast forward 10 years to 2013 and he has graduated from college and in the working world, still driving the 03 Element. He decided that he wanted “something with a trunk.” As it happened, I had a friend that was selling a 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan in great shape. My son liked it, bought it with his money, and gave me back the Element.

Re drivers ed, it was not taught at my son’s public high school here in TN. There is a highly rated local driving course that we paid for him to take for insurance purposes, after he had learned to drive.

Quick Reply: Should You Give Your Son or Daughter a Vehicle of Their Own?