Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interstate Highway Improvement Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 12:46 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe the best solution is to implement more traffic management systems and invest capital on DMV and driver education forupcoming generation, instead of spending money on completely new infrastructures. Most of the problems are caused by drivers doing stupid stuff behind the wheels.
Old 02-15-19, 01:56 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have no idea. However, my assumption is that you are more likely to get killed by a driver of a car than a truck driver. That is why I wondering if there was any evidence towards trucks being more dangerous. Yes, I agree that the destruction that trucks cause can be great, but chances of destruction could be far less.
I would bet those statistics are out there. You just need to know where to look.
Old 02-15-19, 02:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Read that trucks are supposed to be dangerous. Do we actually have evidence that it is the case? I would assume truck drivers are far better drivers than regular people.

Yes and no. In general, professional truck drivers are trained more thoroughly than the average private-vehicle driver...they have to be, for a commercial license. But, because of a number of factors, such as the pressure to make money by driving (and delivering) as many loads as possible in the shortest amount of time, semi-jocks sometimes push the number of hours on the road past what is considered safe, and end up driving while exhausted, half-asleep, on medications, distracted, or on roads that are potentially unsafe for trucks that big. In addition, the notorious traffic jams in and around major cities put even more pressure on them by delaying the arrival-times of the loads they are carrying. An additional factor is how well the trucks themselves are maintained...both trucking companies and private individuals (who own and operate their own big rigs) sometimes overload and under-maintain the trucks in an effort to minimize expenses and increase profits. There are truck-inspection stops in some major highways and Interstates (usually operated by the State Police)...but, often, these can be circumnavigated if one knows the routes around them. Like so much of everything else in business, it boils down to money.
Old 02-15-19, 02:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes and no. In general, professional truck drivers are trained more thoroughly than the average private-vehicle driver...they have to be, for a commercial license. But, because of a number of factors, such as the pressure to make money by driving (and delivering) as many loads as possible in the shortest amount of time, semi-jocks sometimes push the number of hours on the road past what is considered safe, and end up driving while exhausted, half-asleep, on medications, distracted, or on roads that are potentially unsafe for trucks that big. In addition, the notorious traffic jams in and around major cities put even more pressure on them by delaying the arrival-times of the loads they are carrying. An additional factor is how well the trucks themselves are maintained...both trucking companies and private individuals (who own and operate their own big rigs) sometimes overload and under-maintain the trucks in an effort to minimize expenses and increase profits. There are truck-inspection stops in some major highways and Interstates (usually operated by the State Police)...but, often, these can be circumnavigated if one knows the routes around them. Like so much of everything else in business, it boils down to money.
So what do the statistics say? I cannot find them
Old 02-15-19, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

So what do the statistics say? I cannot find them

Statistics cannot measure corporate (or private-truck-ownership) greed or negligence.
Old 02-15-19, 03:58 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

http://fb.watch-truck.com/miles-long...ved-in-pileup/