Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW's New 500-HP S58 Inline-Six Should be Very Interesting to Supra Fans

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 10:06 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If BMW's are so unreliable, then why are they above average on the JD Powers Dependability index?
Old 02-14-19, 10:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
If BMW's are so unreliable, then why are they above average on the JD Powers Dependability index?
Even if it were #1, I still wouldn't own one out of warranty and would never buy a used one. I see it all the time in person and have been vigorously following automobiles my whole life. My friends with BMWs are always driving loaners, talking in circles about what part is getting replaced this time as if those kinds of issues from a vehicle are normal.

And I'm not a hater, my dad had an E38 750 back in the 90s. That was about the coolest car in the world, but it was brand new. Dumped at 30k miles when it started falling apart.

Still, a well kept E38 on those 18"s looks better than any current luxury car out there today in my eyes.
Old 02-14-19, 10:35 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Still, a well kept E38 on those 18"s looks better than any current luxury car out there today in my eyes.
i very much agree here

and this has the bonus of being a 007 car lol, and these wheels are officially the "style 37" and i think they work pretty well on most sporty 90s bmws

edit:
and here's a little something to read about one particular 850 csi

https://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/eb...n-service-for/

Last edited by Stroock639; 02-14-19 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 10:39 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i very much agree here

and this has the bonus of being a 007 car lol, and these wheels are officially the "style 37" and i think they work pretty well on most sporty 90s bmws

and here's a little something to read about one particular 850 csi

https://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/eb...n-service-for/
Gorgeous. I'm not sure if it's because I'm right or just nostalgic, but I really just love the way German cars looked in the 90s; I think that was their peak. There is still nothing that has surpassed the W140 almost 30 years later, IMO. Nothing touches that car in road presence, even still today.
Old 02-14-19, 10:43 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

I also could not possibly care less if a 4 cylinder new Bimmer would beat my IS350 in a race, that driver gets to listen to a god-awful 4 cylinder moan every time he starts it up and presses the gas. The ancient Toyota 3.5 is still a monster, and it will always have a refinement and a sound that not one 4 cylinder car on earth will. I can't emphasize enough how much I hate turbocharged 4 cylinder cars (and now ttV6 cars that used to be V8 for that matter, too, LS500 ahem). I don't care if a 4cyl car can do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, pass.
i also like to talk in a condescending manner toward turbo 4 cyls, they're incredibly boring for the most part, (320i is particularly bad) but a fast evo is certainly not boring haha and sounds awesome
Old 02-14-19, 11:07 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Gorgeous. I'm not sure if it's because I'm right or just nostalgic, but I really just love the way German cars looked in the 90s; I think that was their peak. There is still nothing that has surpassed the W140 almost 30 years later, IMO. Nothing touches that car in road presence, even still today.
i think it's because that was a time when a car could just be designed to look as good as possible, whereas now they're designed to look good while also being better for people that get ran over and other stuff like that

and yea the w140 definitely has something about it, i honestly always thought it looked a bit ungainly and weird, almost like it was already outdated when it was released... it's very yakuza though so i like it for that
Old 02-14-19, 11:43 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i also like to talk in a condescending manner toward turbo 4 cyls, they're incredibly boring for the most part, (320i is particularly bad) but a fast evo is certainly not boring haha and sounds awesome
They're horrible. Beyond awful. I have two V8 vehicles and a V6, cars that are already old. Not a one of them will ever be replaced with a 4cylinder I will die first. I will drive my LS for the next ten years happily. The Lexus V8 was special then, and really is now. Numbers wise it won't blow you away but man oh man, does it make for a nice drive.

And yes before mods get on us the W140 did look a little frumpy at first, but when they cleaned it up for 1997, it turned into my personal favorite Mercedes of all time.

Here's a '99 on the monoblocks, I'm sorry that is just the king of the road, that car. When I'm drooling and dying on my deathbed in 50 years, I will still have never seen such a beautiful and "proper" Mercedes. Someone can just pull up an image of this and I'll spring back to life. If these didn't cost 5k to maintain a year I'd have one myself.

Last edited by AJT123; 02-14-19 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 05:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

They're horrible. Beyond awful. I have two V8 vehicles and a V6, cars that are already old. Not a one of them will ever be replaced with a 4cylinder I will die first. I will drive my LS for the next ten years happily. The Lexus V8 was special then, and really is now. Numbers wise it won't blow you away but man oh man, does it make for a nice drive.

And yes before mods get on us the W140 did look a little frumpy at first, but when they cleaned it up for 1997, it turned into my personal favorite Mercedes of all time.

Here's a '99 on the monoblocks, I'm sorry that is just the king of the road, that car. When I'm drooling and dying on my deathbed in 50 years, I will still have never seen such a beautiful and "proper" Mercedes. Someone can just pull up an image of this and I'll spring back to life. If these didn't cost 5k to maintain a year I'd have one myself.

Look at a 2006 LS430--I see a similarity in the shape, glass, etc. It seems like the euros are always a generation ahead in style, unless the Japanese try to go their own way, which they did with the LS500, with not very good imho results. Flattery is the best compliment. Not 100% what year but the '99 you show (W140?) was out in the early 90's, which is 9-10 yrs. before the 3rd gen LS. I distinctly remember the next gen S Class in Meet the Parents, which had to be around 2000 or 2001.

I've never owned a V8 until Oct. 2016. But I've owned an inline 6 since 2006, and an inline 6 in the 90's. The only 4 cyl. I have owned was a OHV Volvo, man that was indestructible. 4 V6's (2 of which are in the current fleet). I just think that those who are ok with turbo 4's, or V6's, they're simply ok with them. It's like give me a $100 bottle of wine, I don't have the palette to appreciate it. So I guess the 4 cyl. turbo and V6 lovers, they just don't appreciate a I6, or even a V8. You give them an inline 6, and they don't see any difference. But it's physics. So I think it's great that an inline 6 is back in the Supra. If it gets designed by Toyota, even better.
Old 02-15-19, 07:07 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

best looking one is the later one with painted side skirts

Old 02-15-19, 09:28 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Having owned BMWs with N54, N55 and S55 - i speak from personal experience.

There are numerous modded N54s that are going strong.
Yes the injectors and fuel pump were known issues but those are suppliers faults rather anything mechanically wrong with the engine plus u know when those items are going bad.

I don’t understand why ppl still feel BMWs are not reliable.
The only model that was bad was the revolutionary Bangle butt 7series from 2001-2002 which introduced Idrive.
Many BMW's tend to have a lot of problems still once you put some miles on them, a lot of expensive problems and upkeep. It is not just the Bangle butt 7 series. A member here had the 7 series gen after the bangle butt and said it was the worst experience he ever had, thousands of dollars of issues, mechanics told him to dump the car as they all seem to have these problems out of warranty, BMW inline 6's and 8 cylinders have had many issues over the years, there are issues turning up with the new 4 cylinders, normally when you start putting some miles on them. I know many people with BMW's, they love them, but when I asked about getting a 5 series or GS430 they said don't get the 5 series if you value reliability and a pretty painless ownership experience, they said the same thing about newer 5 and 7 series, they said get the Lexus because you are not going to like the BMW once it is out of warranty.

BMW's tend to be pretty decent now under warranty, many Germans are and cars within warranty are what Consumer Reports and JD Power are normally ranking, they generally don't tell you much about what the experience is like out of warranty and that is normally when the expensive things start breaking or needing to be replaced. Most owners do love BMW's when they are under warranty, they don't mind some problems here and there because it is not coming out of their pocket which is probably why they give BMW and Germans higher rankings because many are just leasing and aren't dealing with the out of warranty ownership experience of German cars and they love the way they drive/interiors/technology, BMW and Japanese may now be pretty even reliability wise during the warranty period, maybe in some ways Germans do a little better but it is the out of warranty reliability that is massively different and that has not changed that much over the years, in general Japanese vehicles are still far more reliable and easier to own out of warranty then the Germans, especially Lexus and Acura. I don't know if it is true now, but some German engineers and people in the German auto industry even admitted they really only design and engineer the cars/parts to be reliable and last for about 4 or 5 years during the warranty period, they are not designed to be reliable or last over the long haul/out of warranty at least that is the way it was not too long ago.

Last edited by UDel; 02-15-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-15-19, 09:37 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Because most are leased and most of these ratings are during the warranty period, warranty period may not be bad at all for most Germans, it is the out of warranty ownership experience that BMW and Germans when you put some miles on them that can often turn out to be nightmares.
Old 02-15-19, 11:55 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Because most are leased and most of these ratings are during the warranty period, warranty period may not be bad at all for most Germans, it is the out of warranty ownership experience that BMW and Germans when you put some miles on them that can often turn out to be nightmares.
Oh I see, what we are saying is that if BMW's are old they are unreliable, but when newish they are reliable? And this doesn't apply for other brands too?
Old 02-15-19, 12:18 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Oh I see, what we are saying is that if BMW's are old they are unreliable, but when newish they are reliable? And this doesn't apply for other brands too?
Things aren't always so black or white right? It is always about averages. On average, BMWs are more problematic, the kinds of problems and certainly more expensive to repair. Some people just have bad luck and no matter what brand they buy it will have issues then there are people with 20yr old Hyundais that runs better than a new Lexus. Such is life.
Old 02-15-19, 12:38 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

based on what my friend who has been a tech at toyota and GM has told me, no it does not necessarily apply to other brands
Old 02-15-19, 12:45 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Look, I also have a E92, MY 2007. We should just cave in and admit, our cars are no good and they can't be driven any longer. If they had L's on the trunk, they'd be good and fine. lol

(I have no idea where the 'you can't possibly drive a BMW out of warranty' came from, maybe some hostile nation colluded and spread that)

Quick Reply: BMW's New 500-HP S58 Inline-Six Should be Very Interesting to Supra Fans