Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Despite good economy, many still in trouble with car loans.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 01:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I like your thought process with that - and agree it is very difficult for most people to pay themselves (save) each month. The tendency is typically to allocate that $2k/month elsewhere after the cars (Camry & Accord in your example) are paid off instead of saving.

I was a total outlier among my co-workers a few years ago - we didn't receive company cars but got $.50/mile for driving (we had to pay for gas, repairs, etc. out of pocket). I was driving about 40k miles/year and paid off my car in 12 months by just making my normal payment amount + 100% of the mileage amount I received. After that car was paid off, I was able to pay off our LX in under 15 months using the same philosophy. Everyone else was buying bigger, better and more expensive cars every 12-18 months. I didn't mind or judge based on what they were doing - I just have a different approach that fits my financial narrative.
Thanks. Glad you see the value in my scenario.
Old 02-13-19, 01:06 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Uh no. Why would you sink more money than necessary into a depreciating asset. So youre telling me if I have a 0% 72m car loan I should pay it off faster so I can use this freed up money to invest elsewhere? Think about it.
In order to pay it off faster, you have to tie up cash in payments... So it's a catch-22. I agree with you on this. I think Doug DeMuro explains something similar in his recent video about purchasing his Ford GT. He got a loan on it in order to not sink all his money into it at one time, so that he could continue to invest in other things.
Old 02-13-19, 01:07 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

100%......why do you disagree?
0% loan is essentially free money.

I agree if the interest on the loan is higher than any interest you are earning on investments, but if the interest you are paying on a loan is lower than the investments, you maintain the loan.. especially if it is 0% , but no one is giving 0% car loans anymore as far as I know.
Old 02-13-19, 01:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjeds

I agree if the interest on the loan is higher than any interest you are earning on investments, but if the interest you are paying on a loan is lower than the investments, you maintain the loan.. especially if it is 0% , but no one is giving 0% car loans anymore as far as I know.
They 100% give 0% in Canada. I am sure the US as well, just haven’t looked in a long while on US sites. The Elantra I looked at the other day, guy showed its 0%. Yes, you are right take the loan. But my scenario was not about the loan vs how long, it was more about what you can get for $1000/mo at 36 and how much you would need if you had two car payments. More to do with recognizing what you can really afford and what income you would need

Ps, I do not see value in having a car loan exceed the warranty period.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-13-19 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 01:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
In order to pay it off faster, you have to tie up cash in payments... So it's a catch-22.
My scenario was, someone has $2000/mo for two car payments. Year 1-10 does not matter, they just have it.
Old 02-13-19, 01:15 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds

There are so many credit cards today offering 0% for 15 mos, I just opened one from Wells Fargo last week. Spend $1000 and get $200. Should I take her right up to the $25k credit limit? It's free, for more than one year. Or better yet, write a convenience check and invest in stocks. The temptation to go broke is pretty compelling. I don't know about you but I'm only getting 2.2% on my savings.
Old 02-13-19, 01:16 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Car Loan interest rates have gone up no doubt about that. However the 0% loan exists out there when the model in question is not moving, or they need to meet a sales target. GM was offering one recently on the enclave, tundra as well. It just depends on the timing.
Old 02-13-19, 01:23 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

How much would a 1.6 mil mortgage be for 30 years? What salary and household income would you need to afford that.
Have you ever seen the actual numbers for Bellevue, WA? That struck me as a place where necessarily a huge % of the household income has to go to the house. It makes Massachusetts look like child's play. I want to say the median income is around $130k and the median home price is $944k. How many $1000/mo. cars should a household get at 0% for 60 mos., if they represent the median? There are other areas of the nation where the median home price is that, but the median income is nearly double.

My point is people cannot control the housing prices and their income other than to move. So they don't work backwards to it. Should 2 physicians be able to live in Westfield, NJ? Why not? Maybe if pediatricians their income is $350k combined? Maybe more? But they might have a Corolla in the driveway as well, nothing strange about it.
Old 02-13-19, 01:28 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
There are so many credit cards today offering 0% for 15 mos, I just opened one from Wells Fargo last week. Spend $1000 and get $200. Should I take her right up to the $25k credit limit? It's free, for more than one year. Or better yet, write a convenience check and invest in stocks. The temptation to go broke is pretty compelling. I don't know about you but I'm only getting 2.2% on my savings.
credit cards yes, we are talking about vehicle loans.

current 0%for 60-72 months car deals available, IF credit score above 750:

2019 Buick Lacrosse
2018 Chevy Silverado
2019 Ford Fusion
2018 Hyundai Sonata
2019 Kia Sorento
2018 Nissan Kicks
2018 Lexus RX

Current 0% interest for 36 months, then higher rate 37-72 months (rate determined by credit score)

2019 Ram 1500 2WD
2019 Subaru Outback
2018 Jeep Renegade
2018 Chrysler 300 base (does not apply to the 300c)

All with the exception of the Lexus state they are for dealer inventory of entry level models, higher optioned models "may not" be eligible.

Old 02-13-19, 01:33 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

100%......why do you disagree?
I think he's saying if you have the ability to overpay on a car (depreciating asset) that you should instead take that over-payment amount and invest it instead of paying more towards the car. Effectively he's asking why would you throw money at an asset that's going down in value instead of throwing money at things that could/will go up in value? It's the same thought process to having $100k sitting in the bank but choosing to take the 0% loan on a $60k car and just pay $1k/month while your money works for you for 5 years instead of paying cash for the car. You really have no incentive to pay it off because you'd lose somewhere in the neighborhood of $8k to $10k by doing so in this example (if you invested your $100k at 2% per year). People who are debt-averse don't want a $1k/month car payment so they'll just pay cash for the car and may not realize the strange decision they've made.

If I'm correct in my assumption of what he's saying, it assumes you either have the ability to accelerate payments on a car note, or it assumes you have enough money in the bank to pay off the car entirely (early).

People who embrace debt and leverage it intelligently have a different approach... But you need to be in certain financial situations in order to do so.
Old 02-13-19, 03:24 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

"biting off more car than one can chew".....isn't that the main issue? It is not sustainable for the long term if people spend more than they earn.
Old 02-13-19, 03:38 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
"biting off more car than one can chew".....isn't that the main issue? It is not sustainable for the long term if people spend more than they earn.
Indeed:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pound ought and six, result misery.”

― Charles Dickens, David Copperfield
Old 02-13-19, 04:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I think he's saying if you have the ability to overpay on a car (depreciating asset) that you should instead take that over-payment amount and invest it instead of paying more towards the car. Effectively he's asking why would you throw money at an asset that's going down in value instead of throwing money at things that could/will go up in value? It's the same thought process to having $100k sitting in the bank but choosing to take the 0% loan on a $60k car and just pay $1k/month while your money works for you for 5 years instead of paying cash for the car. You really have no incentive to pay it off because you'd lose somewhere in the neighborhood of $8k to $10k by doing so in this example (if you invested your $100k at 2% per year). People who are debt-averse don't want a $1k/month car payment so they'll just pay cash for the car and may not realize the strange decision they've made.

If I'm correct in my assumption of what he's saying, it assumes you either have the ability to accelerate payments on a car note, or it assumes you have enough money in the bank to pay off the car entirely (early).

People who embrace debt and leverage it intelligently have a different approach... But you need to be in certain financial situations in order to do so.
I was not trying to argue the finance vs lease or pay off early or use debt to your advantage. I was just trying to illustrate what one could get get at $1000 per month for two cars using the 8% rule earlier mentioned. I just chose $1000 out of thin air and I used 36mo as the term as that was the warranty.

I believe in ownership and paying things off ASAP. IMO it’s the best way. If someone else thinks a different way, good for them, I am not trying to change their opinion. All the power to them.
Old 02-13-19, 04:20 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So here is question to the both of you from me. In your opinion a. How much would you need to make if you were to have two $1000 car finance payments per month ? One for the wife, one for the husband. People have two kids. Average mortgage.
I can't answer that. I wouldn't do that unless I hit the MegaMillions--not at this stage with multiple college tuitions still on my horizon. It's not just about current income levels.

I don't think I've ever had 2 car payments that totaled $1,000/mo.

And...average mortgage? The average home price in the US is under $250,000. So "average mortgage" has no place in a discussion about a $1,000 monthly car payment--that payment is higher than the average mortgage payment.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-13-19 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 04:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I can't answer that. I wouldn't do that unless I hit the MegaMillions--not at this stage with multiple college tuitions still on my horizon. It's not just about current income levels.

I don't think I've ever had 2 car payments that totaled $1,000/mo.

And...average mortgage? The average home price in the US is under $250,000. So "average mortgage" has no place in a discussion about a $1,000 monthly car payment--that payment is higher than the average mortgage payment.
I just said average mortgage and $1000. Here in Toronto it is $1 mil for a detached, or that might even be just a house. Tried to tie it all in to a Camry, one of the best selling cars, and 36 mo and average car cost transaction.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-13-19 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Despite good economy, many still in trouble with car loans.