Lexus LX570 (Landcruiser) vs. GMC Yukon/Escalade ESV? - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
Lexus LX570 (Landcruiser) vs. GMC Yukon/Escalade ESV? >

Lexus LX570 (Landcruiser) vs. GMC Yukon/Escalade ESV?

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lexus LX570 (Landcruiser) vs. GMC Yukon/Escalade ESV?

Old 02-12-19, 09:53 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
I'm a Yukon and LS430 driver so this is tough.

IMO an LX will last longer and give you less problems.....but they're just invisible next to an Escalade. Escalade is just the king of the road in my eyes, it's an old design but IDK how the next one could possibly look any better. The Denali is the next best looking in my eyes.

Whomever said the powertrains are a weak spot, um, an Escalade runs 0-60 in less than 6 seconds, sounding glorious as it does so. Crown jewel of an engine.

The 6.2 would be a big reason I would probably buy the GM truck. That's one of the most desirable motors on the planet IMO, especially since now moaning 4 cylinders are taking over. And I also just love the sheer presence the high end GM trucks possess.

My 2003 Yukon has stupid things broken like the speedo and CD player, my seat heater, but it's solid as a rock mechanically. It's only 285hp, but I quite enjoy the engine. LS motors prove that pushrods work. It revs just as easily and happily as my DOHC V8 in my LS430. I can't even imagine flooring an Escalade or Denali, and the grin that would put on my face.
We had a Yukon Denali (2015) on lease for 3 years and loved the truck. Towed my NSX in an enclosed trailer through the Grapevine with no issues and it's been a solid truck with only a minor recall performed by the dealer. On the last week of our lease, the car wouldn't start and even after a few jumps, we eventually had to have GM tow it to dealer a few miles away. Turns out the battery was defective after 3 years, go figure. Even the tow truck guy said "DAMN these things rarely break and he's never had to tow one before"! Compared to my brother's Mini Cooper that got towed and the same guy said, "Wow we tow these at least twice a week!" haha

The only reason we turned in the Denali was because it was a short wheel-base and we really wanted the longer one for more passenger / legroom / cargo space.

here's our Yukon hard at work j/k

I do agree GM lacks quite a bit and could learn from Lexus in terms of quality control and customer service. However I don't think the general GM customer base is the same as what Lexus is going for. People buy these trucks because of the power, capability and usefulness. The Lexus is not a "boutique" brand like Jaguar, Alfa, Lotus, etc however it's target demographics is probably at least one or two notches above GM's. The Caddy and Yukon Denali (aside from the Corvette) are really their only high end cars. Just my 2 cents....we recently picked up a new Escalade ESV and it's a behemoth and already in love with the truck.

My wife's favorite feature is the front captain seats that have massage and kneading features for long road trips. The entire dash is wrapped in black Alcantara on the platinum model and has no less than 5 LCD TV's to entertain everyone with separate zones. We have it equipped with the tow package, Thule roof top box and and custom trailer hitch and it's the ultimate snow vehicle for our family since we are in Tahoe quite a bit. The LX is capable in snow but it's just too damn small for what we want to do.

Now if Lexus came up with a true 8 passenger 3-row SUV with cargo space like an Extended Sequoia we may pay attention but otherwise it's not going to fill our needs.
Old 02-12-19, 12:39 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Champion

I find American cars in general will usually appear better on paper, but are just worse to use and have more minor little quality defects... and sometimes even major quality defects... not saying Toyota is 100% perfect either but certainly better

things just feel "nicer" to use on Toyotas and Hondas vs the American cars
Old 02-13-19, 07:04 AM
jrmckinley
Lexus Test Driver

As luck would have it, I got a 2018 Suburban as a rental a few hours after replying to this thread. Already put 600 miles on it and will put another 200 to 300 miles on it before I turn it in- it rides very nice on the highway, is insanely big on the inside (my kids love it and called it a school bus) and certainly the size offers some advantages over the LX. Fit & finish is more industrial feeling and makes me think it competes better with the Sequoia which feels similar (I've been in Escalades and Denalis where interior fit & finish feels less industrial). Back-up camera quality is really poor IMO. Driving it around town reminds me of the big American cars from the 80's - it just kind of floats and sways around. The engine feels very familiar and similar to old GM products - so I think folks who are prior GM owners will feel right at home. Parking & maneuvering wasn't quite as bad as I remember and I was in some pretty tight areas in parking garages.

One thing that's a total head scratcher- still a physical key (not push button) and no auto unlocking upon approaching the truck - I had to use the key fob. I imagine this is just a trim level option that my rental didn't have, but I can't believe a 2018 $60k vehicle doesn't have this (yet it has leather and a sunroof).
Old 02-13-19, 07:34 AM
jrmckinley
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 View Post
On the TCO a LX570 is six figures, yes six figures, for years 1-5! Granted many of us might get something like that used.
No... Or at least that's not how I would calculate and define TCO. The LX/Land Cruiser could only cost you six figures if you bought it brand new and literally never sold it or eventually gave it to someone for free. If you bought a new LX and spent $90k and kept it for 5 years, I'd estimate your TCO is somewhere in the range of $30k (ex: you sell it for $65k and spent $5k on maintenance & repairs).

TCO by definition means how much did it cost you to operate something while you "owned" it. So it's really just the net difference of what you paid for something minus what you sold it for and what you put into it for the duration of your ownership. There are other tricks & loopholes associated with this (business use, write offs, etc) but in general I'm pointing out I disagree with how you are defining TCO.
Old 02-13-19, 10:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley View Post
No... Or at least that's not how I would calculate and define TCO. The LX/Land Cruiser could only cost you six figures if you bought it brand new and literally never sold it or eventually gave it to someone for free. If you bought a new LX and spent $90k and kept it for 5 years, I'd estimate your TCO is somewhere in the range of $30k (ex: you sell it for $65k and spent $5k on maintenance & repairs).

TCO by definition means how much did it cost you to operate something while you "owned" it. So it's really just the net difference of what you paid for something minus what you sold it for and what you put into it for the duration of your ownership. There are other tricks & loopholes associated with this (business use, write offs, etc) but in general I'm pointing out I disagree with how you are defining TCO.
I understand what you are saying and do agree with you. That's why a Porschefile at a lauch told me that he's owned five 911s, and 2 were new, and that as far as he's concerned, even if you have the money, 5 y.o. is what he considers the sweet spot. My cousin is that way with a baby seat--his attitude is a baby seat has a 6 yr. life, and a nice one costs $300. If I'm only going to use it for 2 years, I am not paying $300. He might buy a 2 y.o. one , then sell it when it has 2 yrs. left. He only wants to pay for 2 yrs. at a depreciated rate. I think he's going too far but I get his thinking. I just paid the $300 and I do care about money.

However, my buddy simply looks at LX570 and sees that no matter how one slices it, it costs far more than a Highlander, in every aspect.
Old 02-13-19, 10:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley View Post

One thing that's a total head scratcher- still a physical key (not push button) and no auto unlocking upon approaching the truck - I had to use the key fob. I imagine this is just a trim level option that my rental didn't have, but I can't believe a 2018 $60k vehicle doesn't have this (yet it has leather and a sunroof).
btw that's just a trim thing, the top level trim does not have to use the fob to unlock, nor to start.

I used to find the LS430 odd to twist the starter **** without a key, but then I told myself if it was good enough for Porsche, it's good enough for me...
Old 02-13-19, 12:37 PM
jrmckinley
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 View Post
btw that's just a trim thing, the top level trim does not have to use the fob to unlock, nor to start.

I used to find the LS430 odd to twist the starter **** without a key, but then I told myself if it was good enough for Porsche, it's good enough for me...
I guess I'm still baffled how any vehicle can have leather, sunroof, memory seats, heated seats (with a nice feature where just the back portion can be heated separately from the leg portion), lane assist, and NOT have push button start and the sensing tech to unlock the doors. Everything I just listed seems to be more expensive than the technology to have the smart key fob. And it seems you'd want to streamline production and make all Tahoes, Suburbans, Silverados, Yukons, Yukon XL, etc. just have push button and fob-sensing unlocking.. I digress..!

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: