King Alex, Hyundai test drive, and Hyundai’s misleading warranty - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
King Alex, Hyundai test drive, and Hyundai’s misleading warranty >

King Alex, Hyundai test drive, and Hyundai’s misleading warranty

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

King Alex, Hyundai test drive, and Hyundai’s misleading warranty

Old 02-11-19, 09:29 AM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Default King Alex, Hyundai test drive, and Hyundai’s misleading warranty

1. my opinion on Alex on Autos has definitely changed. In the past I was quite critical of the guy, I have heard some of the comments directed to me about this criticism and I have taken note of it. So by far, one of the better You Tube reviewers doing cars. Perhaps the best out there. Lots of information going on in his reviews. Note, I do think there is some audience massaging, but that is ok. They all do it. Doug Demuro is definitely the worst at it.

2. We are kicking the tires on trading in our Matrix. So we are looking for a new repalcement. In the past I have made some bold declarations on Hyundai, however, we did a test drive on the weekend test drive definitely has changed our opinion of the model. Not gong to go so far as to say, change my perception of the brand, but the vehicle we test drove, and Elantra was very good. Some very nice design elements.

3. Hyundai’s 5 year warranty, 100K warranty is not a bumper to bumper. Just wanted to get that out. It’s a “limited warranty”. There are exclusions. During the test drive, I asked about the warranty and was told, some things are not covered. The radio and navigation are just 3 years. And the salesperson went about electrical wiring or something like that.

Also, Hyundai has something called a Hyundai Assurance buying experience. Whatever that is, it was too confusing to pay attention to the information being told. All I did here was, every Hyundai has a $400 dealer fee applied. mmmmm that does not sound like assurance, as when you build the car online, there is no fee.

Anyways, just wanted to say that I have taken some of the comments from some of you and paid attention to it. The Hyundai brand could definitely be of consideration. The design was very nice.

We have more work to do....
Old 02-11-19, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
Doug Demuro is definitely the worst at it.
Yeah...I'm not a big fan of Doug's general style, either, but he seems downright sophisticated compared to this guy......

2. We are kicking the tires on trading in our Matrix. So we are looking for a new repalcement. In the past I have made some bold declarations on Hyundai, however, we did a test drive on the weekend test drive definitely has changed our opinion of the model. Not gong to go so far as to say, change my perception of the brand, but the vehicle we test drove, and Elantra was very good. Some very nice design elements.
The Elantra actually feels more solidly-built than the Corolla, if you look at its general solidness and sheet-metal/hardware, trim, interior, etc....but the Corolla seems to have a smoother, more refined drivetrain and a better suspension. The Elantra, in other words, seems more solid but slightly less refined.

3. Hyundai’s 5 year warranty, 100K warranty is not a bumper to bumper. Just wanted to get that out. It’s a “limited warranty”. There are exclusions. During the test drive, I asked about the warranty and was told, some things are not covered. The radio and navigation are just 3 years. And the salesperson went about electrical wiring or something like that.
Not sure for the 2019s, but, in previous years, the 10/100 part of the Drivetrain Warranty was non-transferable outside of one's immediate family (father, mother, sister, brother). So, if you re-sold it to a cousin, grandparent, friend, colleague, or stranger, that person would be stuck with only the 5/60 part of it.

Also, Hyundai has something called a Hyundai Assurance buying experience. Whatever that is, it was too confusing to pay attention to the information being told. All I did here was, every Hyundai has a $400 dealer fee applied. mmmmm that does not sound like assurance, as when you build the car online, there is no fee.

Anyways, just wanted to say that I have taken some of the comments from some of you and paid attention to it. The Hyundai brand could definitely be of consideration. The design was very nice.

If you are starting to change your mind on Hyundais, my advice is to also check out their equivalent Kia products before making a decision. In most cases, I'd buy the Kia.....I just find them to be somewhat nicer inside and out.. For some reason (and I can't quite figure out why, since they come from many of the same platforms and uses common elements in the drive train and mechanicals ), according to Consumer Reports, most of them are also more reliable than their Hyundai counterparts, and have a higher customer-satisfaction rating on initial quality. Genesis, of course, does the most impressive versions of all, but I can understand your maybe wanting to keep costs down....not everyone can afford (or wants to spend) that kind of money for an upmarket nameplate.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-11-19 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-11-19, 11:15 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

maybe check online... i checked the u.s. and the salesperson's info isn't right for current new models. it was the case for 15/16 models and older. but for new ones in the u.s. at least it's 5yr/60k mi. for everything afaict.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance...-warranty.aspx
Old 02-11-19, 11:23 AM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
maybe check online... i checked the u.s. and the salesperson's info isn't right for current new models. it was the case for 15/16 models and older. but for new ones in the u.s. at least it's 5yr/60k mi. for everything afaict.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance...-warranty.aspx
Its not bumper to bumper. There are exclusions.
Old 02-11-19, 12:17 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I had a colleague that was given a hard time with his Sonata when it came to warranty. I dunno it's probably not Hyundai all seem to have some incentive to say not able to duplicate issues which in turn annoy customers. I do remember him saying they were always pushing an engine flush etc. when he went in for some warranty repair.

If Doug Demuro said the Ford Raptor is a good investment, then my bro emailed me a link but I never watched it. Doug Demuro bragged about how much trouble his Range Rover was and then how many repairs he got out of the warranty therefore showing how smart he was. 2 things. One, that's a dumb thing to brag about, but two, I see the type of person he is as if he's trying to put one over. If he makes a lot of money and gets a lot of free stuff from his channel like Scotty, I guess that's good for both of them. I rather watch useful people like ChrisFix.
Old 02-11-19, 12:33 PM
Mike728
Lexus Champion

Are you buying a new 2015?
Old 02-11-19, 12:44 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728 View Post
Are you buying a new 2015?
Good eye. Thanks. This is not what the guy said during the test drive. Said there are exclusions.
Old 02-11-19, 12:45 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

from what i read, paint is 3 years, sure, and wear items are year, which is to not surprising, but other than that the exclusions are 2016 and before.

Old 02-11-19, 02:13 PM
sorptd
Driver

We currently have a leased Hyundai Elantra after driving Toyota's & one Buick (2007 Corolla, 2012 Camry 4 cyl, 2014 Camry V6 and a 2016 Buick Encore) for last few years. I cant speak of long term reliability however i have found the Elantra to be a very good car overall. Here are my impressions in a nutshell:

Positives:
- Build quality is better than the last gen Camry's . That is the first thing i noticed. The interior feels nicely put together. Have not had a chance to drive the new Camry which looks like a big step up, just like most of newer TNGA based Toyota's like that Rav4, Corolla etc
- The infotainment is pretty straight forward. Touch screen is very responsive. Instrumentation and buttons are very easy to use.
- I like the Ride and handling better than the current gen Corolla.
- Good value proposition. The trim we have is called value edition (moonroof, power seat, Leather wrapped steering. heated seats etc etc) & that was cheaper to lease than a Corolla LE which has none of these features
- i find the front seats very comfortable. That can vary from person to person but i have no complaints.
- Pretty refined for average use for a car in this price point. During idling it has almost zero vibration/noise.

Negatives:
-
The brakes could be better. Mine has rear drum brakes. I believe the newer Elantra's have disks all around
- Rear seats are ok but there are other cars in this class which offer more room (Jetta, Civic etc)
- Most trims dont have LED headlights which is standard on Corolla
- Doesn't offer all the safety features as standard across all trims. In comparison Toyota has TSS standard across majority of its line up which is commendable.

Old 02-11-19, 02:26 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sorptd View Post
We currently have a leased Hyundai Elantra after driving Toyota's & one Buick (2007 Corolla, 2012 Camry 4 cyl, 2014 Camry V6 and a 2016 Buick Encore) for last few years. I cant speak of long term reliability however i have found the Elantra to be a very good car overall. Here are my impressions in a nutshell:

Positives:
- Build quality is better than the last gen Camry's . That is the first thing i noticed. The interior feels nicely put together. Have not had a chance to drive the new Camry which looks like a big step up, just like most of newer TNGA based Toyota's like that Rav4, Corolla etc
- The infotainment is pretty straight forward. Touch screen is very responsive. Instrumentation and buttons are very easy to use.
- I like the Ride and handling better than the current gen Corolla.
- Good value proposition. The trim we have is called value edition (moonroof, power seat, Leather wrapped steering. heated seats etc etc) & that was cheaper to lease than a Corolla LE which has none of these features
- i find the front seats very comfortable. That can vary from person to person but i have no complaints.
- Pretty refined for average use for a car in this price point. During idling it has almost zero vibration/noise.

Negatives:
-
The brakes could be better. Mine has rear drum brakes. I believe the newer Elantra's have disks all around
- Rear seats are ok but there are other cars in this class which offer more room (Jetta, Civic etc)
- Most trims dont have LED headlights which is standard on Corolla
- Doesn't offer all the safety features as standard across all trims. In comparison Toyota has TSS standard across majority of its line up which is commendable.
Thanks for the write up. Definitely nice features for the money. The steering wheel heats all around. Very responsive to driving it around
Old 02-11-19, 02:37 PM
Benoit
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
Yeah...I'm not a big fan of Doug's general style, either, but he seems downright sophisticated compared to this guy......
Scotty is a pure catastrophy. Remembers me everytime of an alcoholic at the PMU, talking about cars. I tryed many times to block his content on Youtube, but I always end seeing some bits. It's painful.
Old 02-11-19, 03:12 PM
coolsaber
Lexus Champion

Some of those items like most warranties are your word against theirs depending on how many other owners experience that exact same issue. Warranty Service is a YMMV situation depending heavily on your service center and SAs. If they are generally above average, your warranty experience will be amazing, and vice versa. I highly recommend not buying a product soley on it stating a UL mileage warranty etc better then the rest. See how the service center is before concluding that best warranty ever
Old 02-11-19, 06:57 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

1. my opinion on Alex on Autos has definitely changed. In the past I was quite critical of the guy, I have heard some of the comments directed to me about this criticism and I have taken note of it. So by far, one of the better You Tube reviewers doing cars. Perhaps the best out there. Lots of information going on in his reviews. Note, I do think there is some audience massaging, but that is ok. They all do it. Doug Demuro is definitely the worst at it.

We have more work to do....
In order for your thread to be cogent in terms of a "misleading" warranty that somehow Hyundai is unique in its advertising, you have to put up a more logical argument about how Hyundai is different from others. What's different about Hyundai vs Toyota? You don't think that Toyota only covers a warranty vehicle for basic 3/36? The stuff you're talking about is exclusions that are focused on infotainment, not engine/transmission/suspension.

Your homeowner's policy, your auto policy has exclusions too. Are they misleading or tricking you? Ever see insurance company commercials? They are ridiculous high budget garbage about how they'll look after every little thing... until you make a claim. Then Flo disappears and some other jerk shows up and lowballs your claim. Ask me how I know.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of car comany warranties vs singling out Hyundai/Kia.
Old 02-11-19, 07:03 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG View Post
In order for your thread to be cogent in terms of a "misleading" warranty that somehow Hyundai is unique in its advertising, you have to put up a more logical argument about how Hyundai is different from others. What's different about Hyundai vs Toyota? You don't think that Toyota only covers a warranty vehicle for basic 3/36? The stuff you're talking about is exclusions that are focused on infotainment, not engine/transmission/suspension.

Your homeowner's policy, your auto policy has exclusions too. Are they misleading or tricking you? Ever see insurance company commercials? They are ridiculous high budget garbage about how they'll look after every little thing... until you make a claim. Then Flo disappears and some other jerk shows up and lowballs your claim. Ask me how I know.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of car comany warranties vs singling out Hyundai/Kia.
I purposely refrained from saying the work TOYOTA in my first post. I also purposely did not compare. If you want to highlight the warranties, you're more than welcome.

Old 02-11-19, 07:08 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

So. I looked up the warranty in the warranty brochure. Here it is. This is for a 2019. It's not bumper to bumper. Maybe the US warranty is a bit different. We would be buying a US model if we did.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: