Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

King Alex, Hyundai test drive, and Hyundai’s misleading warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There are lots to like of the new Hyundai models. We are going to take a look at the Kona as well.
I'd highly recommend checking out the Kia equivalents as well. IMO, they are usually better-designed inside and out than the Hyundais. They also, for some reason, often rank higher on the reliability scale.....for reasons I can't fathom.

We looked the new MB A class hatch, it was $48K with a crazy $2500 delivery and PDI fee then tax.
Your call, but I don't think you would be happy with a entry-level M-B product. Even considering the lower prices, many reviewers (including Consumer Reports) don't think the level of quality and refinement in these vehicles are worth what they cost. The S-class, on the other hand, sets an industry benchmark...but the cost is prohibitive.
Old 02-12-19, 06:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'd highly recommend checking out the Kia equivalents as well. IMO, they are usually better-designed inside and out than the Hyundais. They also, for some reason, often rank higher on the reliability scale.....for reasons I can't fathom.
We are going to. This is not a rush for us. Have you seen the satisfaction scores for KIA and Hyundai in CR?

Your call, but I don't think you would be happy with a entry-level M-B product. Even considering the lower prices, many reviewers (including Consumer Reports) don't think the level of quality and refinement in these vehicles are worth what they cost. The S-class, on the other hand, sets an industry benchmark...but the cost is prohibitive.
We think the new A class interior is outstanding for what it is. Issue is, that it seems like a lot of money for a small car. That was the central issue with my CT, which looking back, we probably should of just kept.
Old 02-12-19, 07:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We are going to. This is not a rush for us. Have you seen the satisfaction scores for KIA and Hyundai in CR?
I'm sorry--you are now quoting CR after years of bashing it as worthless??
Old 02-12-19, 07:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Haven't been able to copy/post them, but, in general, Kia rank higher than Hyundais, and, on average, are more reliable. Genesis, however, takes the spot as the top-rated brand for satisfaction.

We think the new A class interior is outstanding for what it is. Issue is, that it seems like a lot of money for a small car. That was the central issue with my CT, which looking back, we probably should of just kept.
I know you didn't like the CT.....I wasn't wild about it either, except for the superb NuLuxe upholstery, which could fool everyone but the cow LOL. Also, since you were mentioning the CT's price...obviously, you were paying, at least in part, for the nameplate.
Old 02-12-19, 07:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm sorry--you are now quoting CR after years of bashing it as worthless??
No need to be sorry. If you look back at my comments, I am highly critical of two things; one, CR reviews are not "day and date" with other car reviewers. And two, their reliability data methods are not disclosed. Does not mean their information is not valid, it means it is open for interpretation of how valid. Where I was looking about CR satisfaction is where they claim what the owners are saying. Does this make sense to you?
Old 02-12-19, 07:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No need to be sorry. If you look back at my comments, I am highly critical of two things; one, CR reviews are not "day and date" with other car reviewers. And two, their reliability data methods are not disclosed. Does not mean their information is not valid, it means it is open for interpretation of how valid. Where I was looking about CR satisfaction is where they claim what the owners are saying. Does this make sense to you?
CR does the same vehicle-reliability-surveys each year....sent out to their subscribers in the mail (or on-line) That is no secret, and has been well-known for decades. In those vehicle-reliabilty surveys, of course, are included a number of other things....appliances, lawn-mowers, furnace/heat-pumps, etc.... almost anything that breaks down and/or will need repair.
Old 02-12-19, 07:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

CR does the same vehicle-reliability-surveys each year....sent out to their subscribers in the mail (or on-line) That is no secret, and has been well-known for decades. In those vehicle-reliabilty surveys, of course, are included a number of other things....appliances, lawn-mowers, furnace/heat-pumps, etc.... almost anything that breaks down and/or will need repair.
So how do you (yourself personally) determine how valid these surveys are?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-12-19 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-12-19, 07:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Not really. Because if you question the reliability data, which is obtained (probably in large part) from subscriber/owner surveys (which I fill out every year), then the owner satisfaction data comes from the same "suspect" source.

So how do you (yourself personally) determine how valid these surveys are?
A 75+ year track record.
Old 02-12-19, 07:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Not really. Because if you question the reliability data, which is obtained (probably in large part) from subscriber/owner surveys (which I fill out every year), then the owner satisfaction data comes from the same "suspect" source.
I agree. So my criticism of CR is that they lack transparency in their reliability data, and their satisfaction data. That does not mean their information is worthless, it means that I have some questions about it. Their reviews which are rarely ever released on the day of the press embargo are more suspect than their other data.
Old 02-12-19, 07:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

A 75+ year track record.
Fair enough. I don't think that is very effective way to judge their information.
Old 02-12-19, 08:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree. So my criticism of CR is that they lack transparency in their reliability data, and their satisfaction data. That does not mean their information is worthless, it means that I have some questions about it. Their reviews which are rarely ever released on the day of the press embargo are more suspect than their other data.
Here is their early look at the 2017 Elantra.

Old 02-12-19, 08:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Here is their early look at the 2017 Elantra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1hxLaQO1Gg
Thanks.

It does have a lot of features.
Old 02-12-19, 08:17 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, your homeowner's policy is insurance, not a warranty, and is not promoted as being "bumper to bumper", so it's not really relevant here. At all.
You missed my point. A warranty has exclusions. So does an insurance policy. A warranty is a type of contract between parties, as is an insurance policy. CTJill is saying she's surprised at things that are not covered and are not quite living up to the "bumper to bumper" advertising tag. Very few things live up to the ad hype. Those fancy big dollar insurance advertisements are an eg.
Old 02-12-19, 08:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
You missed my point. A warranty has exclusions. So does an insurance policy. A warranty is a type of contract between parties, as is an insurance policy.
I am not sure what the problem is at this point. I was under the impression that the Hyundai 5 year warranty was a complete warranty, but it is not. It is a limited warranty with a few exclusions. I am sure the Toyota warranty has the same similar exclusions,

CTJill is saying she's surprised at things that are not covered and are not quite living up to the "bumper to bumper" advertising tag. Very few things live up to the ad hype.
But it is not a bumper to bumper. Its a limited policy, that is where my confusion was. You just made the error of thinking that the advertising tag is bumper to bumper. Toyota's warranty is a limited warranty as well.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-12-19 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-12-19, 08:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

You missed my point. A warranty has exclusions. So does an insurance policy. A warranty is a type of contract between parties, as is an insurance policy. CTJill is saying she's surprised at things that are not covered and are not quite living up to the "bumper to bumper" advertising tag. Very few things live up to the ad hype. Those fancy big dollar insurance advertisements are an eg.
And I would suggest you miss the point. You take two unlike things, and try and compare them because they both use the words "exclusion".

Last edited by tex2670; 02-12-19 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: King Alex, Hyundai test drive, and Hyundai’s misleading warranty