Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

King Alex, Hyundai test drive, and Hyundai’s misleading warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What also has to be take into account here is that, even with the exclusions that Jill has pointed out, the Hyundai/Kia warranty is still one of the best in the business, especially for a lower-priced nameplate. The typical warranty on German-badged vehicles is 4/50 for the entire vehicle, (including the drivetrain), and 5/60 and 3/36 on the mainstream American and Japanese makes. Upmarket American and Japanese makes (Buick, Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura) get 6/70 and 4/50.
Old 02-11-19, 06:14 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, of course you did not mention other warranties, you're focusing on Hyundai here but that's out of context.GM 3/36, powertrain 5/60 limited. Toyota basic 3/36, powertrain 5/60 with exceptions. The stuff you seem to be parsing out of Hyundai is not powertrain/suspension/major components. Your household keeps vehicles for 10-15 years, are you planning on making a warranty claim on a Korean brand in that time frame?

Last edited by MattyG; 02-11-19 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-11-19, 06:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
GM 3/36, powertrain 5/60 limited. Toyota basic 3/36, powertrain 5/60 with exceptions. The stuff you seem to be parsing out of Hyundai is not powertrain/suspension/major components. Your household keeps vehicles for 10-15 years, are you planning on making a warranty claim on a Korean brand in that time frame?
was curious to mention it as it is not a bumper to bumper as the person driving with us mentioned that there were exclusions. I was under the impression it was a bumper to bumper. Was surprised when he said the electrical stuff was not covered.
Old 02-11-19, 06:22 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Was curious to mention it as it is not a bumper to bumper as the person driving with us mentioned that there were exclusions. I was under the impression it was a bumper to bumper. Was surprised when he said the electrical stuff was not covered.
If that's the case, I would look at VW and one of their products since they're trying to get back into the good graces of potential buyers. An initial 6/60 and then a 5/60 transferable warranty. You don't really like Korean brands do you? So why buy something you won't like?
Old 02-11-19, 07:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What also has to be take into account here is that, even with the exclusions that Jill has pointed out, the Hyundai/Kia warranty is still one of the best in the business, especially for a lower-priced nameplate. The typical warranty on German-badged vehicles is 4/50 for the entire vehicle, (including the drivetrain), and 5/60 and 3/36 on the mainstream American and Japanese makes. Upmarket American and Japanese makes (Buick, Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura) get 6/70 and 4/50.
Do you remember where there were 1 year or 2 year warranties?
Old 02-11-19, 07:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good eye. Thanks. This is not what the guy said during the test drive. Said there are exclusions.
They are listed in what you posted. For example, the battery isn't covered for 5/60, nor is the paint, nor "wear items".

In fairness, other companies exclude "normal wear and tear" without putting some defined limit on it. If you see a tear forming in your leather seats after 2.5 years, and point it out to the Toyota dealer, see if they don't claim "Well, that's normal wear and tear."

I'm not really sure Hyundai is doing anything different than any other "bumper to bumper" warranty, other than be a bit more honest.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-11-19 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-11-19, 07:14 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
In order for your thread to be cogent in terms of a "misleading" warranty that somehow Hyundai is unique in its advertising, you have to put up a more logical argument about how Hyundai is different from others. What's different about Hyundai vs Toyota? You don't think that Toyota only covers a warranty vehicle for basic 3/36? The stuff you're talking about is exclusions that are focused on infotainment, not engine/transmission/suspension.

Your homeowner's policy, your auto policy has exclusions too. Are they misleading or tricking you? Ever see insurance company commercials? They are ridiculous high budget garbage about how they'll look after every little thing... until you make a claim. Then Flo disappears and some other jerk shows up and lowballs your claim. Ask me how I know.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of car comany warranties vs singling out Hyundai/Kia.
Well, your homeowner's policy is insurance, not a warranty, and is not promoted as being "bumper to bumper", so it's not really relevant here. At all.
Old 02-11-19, 07:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670

I'm not really sure Hyundai is doing anything different than any other "bumper to bumper" warranty, other than be a bit more honest.
Well, they are. They are covering more item with a limited warranty. I was always under the impression that it was bumper to bumper when they say the best warranty.
Old 02-11-19, 07:22 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Well, they are. They are covering more item with a limited warranty. I was always under the impression that it was bumper to bumper when they say the best warranty.
Again, "bumper to bumper" is a marketing term, not a legal threshold. If you need new brakes on any car after 2.5 years, your "bumper to bumper" warranty won't cover them, unless they were defective. Or your battery. Or any other "wear" item. Hyundai is just being up front about it.

But other than wear items, it's effectively "bumper to bumper" for 3/36; with many other items covered for the full warranty period. So, until VW kicked up their warranty, "best" was still accurate, even though its not compete "bumper to bumper".

You also don't mention the Lifetime Hybrid Battery warranty or the 10/100,000 powertrain warranty.

There's really more to like here then to complain about.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 02-11-19, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Do you remember where there were 1 year or 2 year warranties?
1/12 Bumper-to-Bumper was pretty much standard in the American market during the 1960s, when I earned to drive, except for the Chrysler 5/50 drivetrain (one reason Chrysler was able to offer that was because of the durability of their engines and automatic transmissions of the period). The majority of manufacturers (even Toyota/Honda and their reliability reputation) stuck with the 1/12 for a couple of decades after that. The last 2/24 warranty (including drivetrain) I can remember in the American market was when Roger Penske started importing the Smart-for-Two. He only offered a basic two-year warranty, even though it was (technically) a Mercedes product. Today, of course, since the Smart is (now) marketed here by Mercedes itself, it carries the standard 4/50 Bumper-to-Bumper Mercedes warranty.
Old 02-11-19, 07:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Again, "bumper to bumper" is a marketing term, not a legal threshold. If you need new brakes on any car after 2.5 years, your "bumper to bumper" warranty won't cover them, unless they were defective. Or your battery. Or any other "wear" item. Hyundai is just being up front about it.

But other than wear items, it's effectively "bumper to bumper" for 3/36; with many other items covered for the full warranty period. So, until VW kicked up their warranty, "best" was still accurate, even though its not compete "bumper to bumper".

You also don't mention the Lifetime Hybrid Battery warranty or the 10/100,000 powertrain warranty.

There's really more to like here then to complain about.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I agree. There is more to like.
Old 02-11-19, 07:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
1/12 Bumper-to-Bumper was pretty much standard in the American market during the 1960s, when I earned to drive, except for the Chrysler 5/50 drivetrain (one reason Chrysler was able to offer that was because of the durability of their engines and automatic transmissions of the period). The majority of manufacturers (even Toyota/Honda and their reliability reputation) stuck with the 1/12 for a couple of decades after that. The last 2/24 warranty (including drivetrain) I can remember in the American market was when Roger Penske started importing the Smart-for-Two. He only offered a basic two-year warranty, even though it was (technically) a Mercedes product. Today, of course, since the Smart is (now) marketed here by Mercedes itself, it carries the standard 4/50 Bumper-to-Bumper Mercedes warranty.
Nice. Glad you remember �� I think there were 1 or 2 year warranties as late as the early 1980s.
Old 02-12-19, 06:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

LexCTJill, i think you're trying to find reasons not to buy a hyundai, which is fine, but being 'shocked' the warranty doesn't cover everything bumper to bumper for 5 years on an entry level sedan seems rather disingenuous or fake outrage. the warranty is still excellent. maybe get a genesis if you want a better warranty of course, i haven't read all that fine print either, and there's probably exclusions there, but fortunately, my car hasn't needed anything in the first year.
Old 02-12-19, 06:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LexCTJill, i think you're trying to find reasons not to buy a hyundai, which is fine, but being 'shocked' the warranty doesn't cover everything bumper to bumper for 5 years on an entry level sedan seems rather disingenuous or fake outrage. the warranty is still excellent. maybe get a genesis if you want a better warranty of course, i haven't read all that fine print either, and there's probably exclusions there, but fortunately, my car hasn't needed anything in the first year.
No, not at all. That was not the point of bringing it up.

There are lots to like of the new Hyundai models. We are going to take a look at the Kona as well. We looked the new MB A class hatch, it was $48K with a crazy $2500 delivery and PDI fee then tax. We also looked at the new Corolla Hatch which had an eyepopping all in $32K total before tax. Then when you look at the size of the hatch, you are left scratching your head. This is how we ended up getting to Hyundai, (my brother has two himself, he does recommend them)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-12-19 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-12-19, 06:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Isn't that like Buick v. GMC/Chevy, Audi v. VW....sometimes the same platform/vehicle gets another year of warranty (and of course it's factored into the price).....

Again factored in but BMW was good 12 years ago, where still factored in to the price of the vehicle, but brake pads/rotors covered, oil changes even if a car went 500 miles in a year, etc. I think they've kiboshed this kind of stuff (extended oil interval to 2 years, I don't think brakes are included today). But it lent to a laid back mentality on the part of the owner--usually we decline recommended services, here we accept them, they're $0.00. When my employer paid for an advanced degree 100%, I sought out new, not used, books. BMW was that feeling before with free service.

Quick Reply: King Alex, Hyundai test drive, and Hyundai’s misleading warranty