Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Cost Cutting, really grinding my gears.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-19, 01:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I just don't see how this can be considered a cost cutting measure. These pieces are molded plastic, its just a question of the shape of the mold.

Not every design decision you don't like is a "cost cutting measure". Its like the insinuation of the removal of the manual HVAC button on a $80,000+ LS is cost cutting when the button exists in a later designed $40,000 ES. That just doesn't make any sense. It was a design CHOICE, not a cost cutting measure.
Old 02-06-19, 01:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just don't see how this can be considered a cost cutting measure. These pieces are molded plastic, its just a question of the shape of the mold.

Thanks. But I don't agree. Would not be an issue to my parents if they spacer was there.
Old 02-06-19, 01:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Interesting point, Steve, but it could (?) simply be just a small, minute amount less of plastic used to fill each mold, which, when spread out over the kind of hundreds of thousands of production-numbers we see in some Toyota products like the RAV-4, Highlander, Corolla, or Camry, will add up over time. Or, it could be simply cheaper to install the individual switches that way, saving time and labor on the assembly line.
Old 02-06-19, 01:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

As for the LS500, the only place where I see any cost cutting compared to mine is the power seat belt anchor. Everywhere else is a clear upgrade or maintenance in material quality from my LS460L.
LS went to the new peg style door locks. They used to use the red LED lights as well as the classic door pivot style next to the handle.
Old 02-06-19, 01:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting point, Steve, but it could (?) simply be just a small, minute amount less of plastic used to fill each mold, which, when spread out over the kind of hundreds of thousands of production-numbers we see in some Toyota products like the RAV-4, Highlander, Corolla, or Camry, will add up over time. Or, it could be simply cheaper to install the individual switches that way, saving time and labor on the assembly line.
I believe absolutely that its a cost cutting measure.

Here is an older Camry part, used on all kinds of models. The spacers would add cost when installed, removal should save money.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-06-19 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-06-19, 02:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
And I'm talking about the lack of any common sense to have to look down at window switches....which really has little or no direct comparison to airplane cockpit controls.....

Many vehicles have the window switches close together, on the same panel, with the power-mirror, seat-memory, power-door-locks, and other switches/buttons. We can argue about it all afternoon, but IMO, look-to-verify never hurts.
Old 02-06-19, 02:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If anything, you have a new generation of Toyota's built on TNGA, and the new mold for the window switches just doesn't have a spacer. new Rav4, Prius, and Avalon all have the same one now.

It comes down to the individual. For you and me I don't think that bothers us spacer or no spacer. It's not rocket science to roll down a window, and as long as one still has the sense of touch, one can tell there are two switches. Your Benz example was great. I've never heard of an S-Class owner screaming that their switches didn't have spacers lol
Old 02-06-19, 02:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks. But I don't agree. Would not be an issue to my parents if they spacer was there.
Just because your parents would prefer they be there doesn't mean their removal was a cost cutting measure.

LS went to the new peg style door locks. They used to use the red LED lights as well as the classic door pivot style next to the handle.
Again, I don't see how thats a cost cutting measure. Its just a different style of doing the locks. The reason they did that was so they could do a more organic stick out type grab on door handle.
Old 02-06-19, 02:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I believe absolutely that its a cost cutting measure.

Agreed.....probably not a huge amount for one switch-panel, but every little bit adds up.
Old 02-06-19, 02:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If anything, you have a new generation of Toyota's built on TNGA, and the new mold for the window switches just doesn't have a spacer. new Rav4, Prius, and Avalon all have the same one now.

It comes down to the individual. For you and me I don't think that bothers us spacer or no spacer. It's not rocket science to roll down a window, and as long as one still has the sense of touch, one can tell there are two switches. Your Benz example was great. I've never heard of an S-Class owner screaming that their switches didn't have spacers lol
The issue is that for some people a design change they don't like is automatically "a mistake". There has to be some nefarious motivation behind the change. There are many different tastes and preferences and desires and you can't please everybody. There are things in every single car I have owned that I would design differently if I were designing it, but then there are things that bother other people that would never even occur to me as being an issue, and my issues aren't issues to them.

Like the door locks, it would never even occur to me to consider that a "cost saving measure", you have all the same parts, you have a physical indicator that is moved between two positions indicating locked or unlocked, what's the difference if its on top of the door or above the door handle?
Old 02-06-19, 02:08 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Many vehicles have the window switches close together, on the same panel, with the power-mirror, seat-memory, power-door-locks, and other switches/buttons. We can argue about it all afternoon, but IMO, look-to-verify never hurts.
If you need to turn your head then that's on you. Touch is a sense, your fingers are your eyes. Repetition will give you motor memory. There are videos of basketball players shooting 3's in the dark and hitting 8/10.
Old 02-06-19, 02:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Having a rotating door lock indicator above this door handle would have ruined the design aesthetic they were trying to achieve:

Old 02-06-19, 02:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Having a rotating door lock indicator above this door handle would have ruined the design aesthetic they were trying to achieve:
They could of gone with the LED lights and no peg/rotating lock. The peg is clearly the cheapest method.
Old 02-06-19, 02:11 PM
Hoovey689

The issue is that for some people a design change they don't like is automatically "a mistake". There has to be some nefarious motivation behind the change. There are many different tastes and preferences and desires and you can't please everybody. There are things in every single car I have owned that I would design differently if I were designing it, but then there are things that bother other people that would never even occur to me as being an issue, and my issues aren't issues to them.

Like the door locks, it would never even occur to me to consider that a "cost saving measure", you have all the same parts, you have a physical indicator that is moved between two positions indicating locked or unlocked, what's the difference if its on top of the door or above the door handle?
That's why I find this and the cup holder thread amusing. Never in a million years would I have thought ahhh I need a spacer, or my cupholder is misshapen. I don't lose sleep over this
Old 02-06-19, 02:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's why I find this and the cup holder thread amusing. Never in a million years would I have thought ahhh I need a spacer, or my cupholder is misshapen. I don't lose sleep over this
To be honest, I didn't have a lot to do today (clearly) And I was just posting to see what others thought as my parents mentioned the windows would both open which blew my mind that they would notice such a thing. I will not be trying to explain such a thing to them.

Quick Reply: Toyota Cost Cutting, really grinding my gears.