Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
Toyota Cost Cutting, really grinding my gears. >

Toyota Cost Cutting, really grinding my gears.

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyota Cost Cutting, really grinding my gears.

Old 02-06-19, 02:14 PM
Hoovey2411

Liked 50 Times in 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
They could of gone with the LED lights and no peg/rotating lock. The peg is clearly the cheapest method.
Well since this is derailing, while the LS 500 has the 'plunger', the LC 500 has the LED

Old 02-06-19, 02:16 PM
Hoovey2411

To be honest, I didn't have a lot to do today (clearly) And I was just posting to see what others thought as my parents mentioned the windows would both open which blew my mind that they would notice such a thing. I will not be trying to explain such a thing to them.
Isn't there a Maple Leafs game for you to watch
Old 02-06-19, 02:16 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 View Post
Well since this is derailing, while the LS 500 has the 'plunger', the LC 500 has the LED

Was going to mention that in my next response. I did not know the LC would go green. Like I said, they have figured out ways to take some costs out of the new LS
Old 02-06-19, 02:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Liked 600 Times in 500 Posts

They could of gone with the LED lights and no peg/rotating lock. The peg is clearly the cheapest method.
The LED is not to indicate the doors are locked in the LS460, its to indicate the alarm is armed. The point of having a physical indicator is that you can lock the doors manually by pressing it down.

"Its clearly the cheapest method" I just don't see how you arrive at that declaration.

This is the interior of a new Rolls Royce Phantom VIII, Check out the window switches...no dividers. Is Rolls Royce cost cutting?

And guess what Rolls Royce also uses to indicate whether the door is locked or unlocked? A simple chrome peg (look at the top of the door panel all the way at the front of it). Cost cutting?

These are just design choices Jill.
Old 02-06-19, 02:19 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Isn't there a Maple Leafs game for you to watch
I don't why some people seem to get their backs up to Toyota negativity. . If we consumers did not notice these things, Toyota would cheap out on all kinds of stuff. 4Runner lack of a locking gas door is one of them.
Old 02-06-19, 02:20 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
The LED is not to indicate the doors are locked in the LS460, its to indicate the alarm is armed. The point of having a physical indicator is that you can lock the doors manually by pressing it down.
There are no pegs on the LC500 Just the LEDs
Old 02-06-19, 02:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't why some people seem to get their backs up to Toyota negativity. . If we consumers did not notice these things, Toyota would cheap out on all kinds of stuff. 4Runner lack of a locking gas door is one of them.
Its not Toyota negativity, its the unreasonable attachment to minute mundane things and the declaration that it is unquestionably because of some reason with the refusal to accept that it might just not be the case. Its just ridiculous.
Old 02-06-19, 02:22 PM
Hoovey2411

I was being serious. There's only two games today, and neither have my Sharks playing hah.

Your 4Runner is older though. I'd wager the new one locks.
Old 02-06-19, 02:23 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Your 4Runner is older though. I'd wager the new one locks.
New 4Runner does not lock. My older one does
Old 02-06-19, 02:25 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

"Its clearly the cheapest method" I just don't see how you arrive at that declaration.

This is the interior of a new Rolls Royce Phantom VIII, Check out the window switches...no dividers. Is Rolls Royce cost cutting?

And guess what Rolls Royce also uses to indicate whether the door is locked or unlocked? A simple chrome peg (look at the top of the door panel all the way at the front of it). Cost cutting?
Its cost cutting IMO if you remove something. It is possible to hide cost cutting under the pretense of design. Would you agree?

That Rolls Royce has an AC button
Old 02-06-19, 02:30 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Its not Toyota negativity, its the unreasonable attachment to minute mundane things and the declaration that it is unquestionably because of some reason with the refusal to accept that it might just not be the case. Its just ridiculous.
I do not accept that it is design reason to remove the spacer. Nor do I believe its a design reason include yellow bulbs inside the door interior lights of the Avalon whereas all other lights are LED. Nor do I consider it a design reason to not have front windows with slow close whereas the back windows do. Yes, I agree that LS500 might have pegs for a design element, but there is also no denying that the LED's in the LC500 are likely more costly, therefore it could be both. Overall, the interiors of all new Toyota's or Lexus models seem to be an big, big, big improvement. But that does not mean we can't be critical.

Last edited by LexsCTJill; 02-06-19 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-06-19, 02:32 PM
Hoovey2411

New 4Runner does not lock. My older one does
Are you positive it didn't switch to the European style that some Lexus's have where there is not fuel door button just a push style, but locks when locking the car? I'm asking because I haven't driven a new 4Runner since the last body style with the 4.7L V8.
Old 02-06-19, 02:34 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Are you positive it didn't switch to the European style that some Lexus's have where there is not fuel door button just a push style, but locks when locking the car? I'm asking because I haven't driven a new 4Runner since the last body style with the 4.7L V8.
Absolutely sure 100% My mother noticed it first day she got her 4Runner back in 15, she thought it was a bit strange as she was used to Toyota's and GM cars that have the fuel door lock for 20 or so years.
Old 02-06-19, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its cost cutting IMO if you remove something. It is possible to hide cost cutting under the pretense of design. Would you agree?
I do not agree with the statement that its cost cutting if you remove something. There are many reasons for removing something or making changes in a design that technically "removes" something.

Something can reduce costs without reducing those costs being the reason for the design change. For instance the A/C button, removing it "reduces costs" sure because they don't manufacture a button, but I do not believe they removed it in the LS500 to cut costs, they did so because it didnt fit into the line of buttons they wanted in their design, and its a seldom used button so they removed it. If their goal was to cut costs by removing that button they would have removed it in the ES redesign as well certainly because that vehicle is half the cost.

That Rolls Royce has an AC button
That it does LOL

I do not accept that it is design reason to remove the spacer. Nor do I believe its a design reason include yellow bulbs inside the door interior lights of the Avalon whereas all other lights are LED. Nor do I consider it a design reason to not have front windows with slow close whereas the back windows do. Yes, I agree that LS500 might have pegs for a design element, but there is also no denying that the LED's in the LC500 are likely more costly, therefore it could be both.
The things that I bolded are examples of cost cutting.

As for the peg vs the LED, I actually would disagree about cost. LEDs are very cheap and I would venture to say the LED light is actually cheaper than the peg mechanism.
Old 02-06-19, 02:40 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

I do not agree with the statement that its cost cutting if you remove something. There are many reasons for removing something or making changes in a design that technically "removes" something.

Something can reduce costs without reducing those costs being the reason for the design change. For instance the A/C button, removing it "reduces costs" sure because they don't manufacture a button, but I do not believe they removed it in the LS500 to cut costs, they did so because it didnt fit into the line of buttons they wanted in their design, and its a seldom used button so they removed it. If their goal was to cut costs by removing that button they would have removed it in the ES redesign as well certainly because that vehicle is half the cost.
This is a fair response ^^^. Lexus did remove the AC button in the ES as well. New UX or LC has none.

I believe the spacer button remove is 100% to save money, and in the process to save money, they removed the whole purpose of the spacer. They did not remove in the ES but did in the Avalon and most new Toyotas. I would like to know a valid reason as to why they did not remove in the ES? I can't tell if the LS has the spacer.

Last edited by LexsCTJill; 02-06-19 at 02:50 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: