polar vortex leaves electric car owners out in the cold - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
polar vortex leaves electric car owners out in the cold >

polar vortex leaves electric car owners out in the cold

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

polar vortex leaves electric car owners out in the cold

Old 02-07-19, 11:23 AM
coolsaber
Lexus Champion

Oh no cold makes things work inefficiently. I`m sorry, I`m sure even the if author of this piece was placed outside in that temperature would also be inefficient as well. Doesnt matter if the vehicle is an EV, hybrid, gas or diesel powered, cold temperatures place stressors that make vehicles and their operators work less efficiently. Less EV range, Less Gas mileage, more wear and tear.
Old 02-07-19, 11:32 AM
geko29
Oil Burner

Originally Posted by Lexus2000 View Post
Not sure why this stuff has to be pointed out should be common knowlege. Except if you drive a Q7 or X1 then your mpg is not affected.
Or a BMW diesel, apparently. Here's the last 13 months' fuel economy for my 335d, covering a little over 14k miles:

Best months:
1. November '18 (30.1)
2. July '18 (29.4)
3. January '19 (29.1)

It's worth noting that I had road trips with extensive highway driving almost every weekend in June and July (son's travel sports club), so that's why those numbers are higher. Funny, January '19 had some of the coldest days in recorded history, and is right up there at the top

Any more snide comments?
Old 02-07-19, 11:33 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

A guy drives a Tesla commuting in Yukon says battery capacity drops ~15%, Otherwise his car does well in the cold.
Where I am we are just getting out of minuss 30C weather. No problem starting the car or no problem on road condition.
Just business as usual.
Old 02-07-19, 11:35 AM
Lexus2000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
Any more snide comments?
No, we've acknowledged you are not affected by cold weather like all the other vehicles out there.

Old 02-07-19, 11:59 AM
geko29
Oil Burner

Originally Posted by Lexus2000 View Post
No, we've acknowledged you are not affected by cold weather like all the other vehicles out there.
I'm not special in this regard, and it's not "all the other vehicles out there", but a specific subset that used be the majority that is now rapidly declining. As I identified above, forced-induction engines really like cold air. Note that all the vehicles I mentioned have either turbo- or supercharged engines. Here's something to chew on:

https://www.aet-turbos.co.uk/turbos-...r-performance/

One common question that we often get from customers is why turbochargers perform differently depending on the time of year, temperature and weather. Generally, these customers have noticed a significant drop in performance on hot summer days when compared to cooler spring and autumn nights.

Whilst this is a common trait amongst all turbocharged vehicles, and isn’t anything to worry too much about
[...]
As air temperature increases, the density of the air, and the amount of oxygen it holds decreases. This means that the turbocharger has to work harder, spin faster and compress more air to produce the same amount of boost it would at lower temperatures.

As the temperatures inside the turbocharger gets higher, the turbocharger can no longer increase it’s speed efficiently, meaning that knock on effect of this is that engine performance, acceleration and top speed are also reduced.

In addition, hotter air also has a secondary affect on the turbocharger, by naturally increasing the operating temperature inside the turbo. Usually, the intercooler works to cool the air from the hot air intake, but in warmer temperatures, the intercooler becomes less efficient, as it is also exposed to the warmer temperatures.
There's a reason most forced-induction engines are equipped with intercoolers. Unless your argument is that turbocharged engines become more efficient as temperature decreases, until a specific point (20F? 0F?) when that trend instantly reverses and efficiency drops drastically.
Old 02-07-19, 08:15 PM
riredale
Lead Lap

I can add that with my RX450h hybrid I can easily get ~18mpg rather than the usual 28. Lots of short trips where the ICE is constantly trying to warm up, interspersed with cool-down intervals where the ICE loses all its heat. It's why, in an earlier thread last year, I wondered why someone hasn't created a fitted blanket whose sole purpose is to keep the ICE hot while turned off. I guarantee one would see a marked increase in hybrid mileage under typical suburban settings.
Old 02-08-19, 08:23 PM
rogerh00
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, hard to believe some of the responses here. I was only naively posting article I saw for information purposes that I thought would be interesting, but instead get trolled by some. This is why I hardly post anymore.
Old 02-08-19, 09:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00 View Post
Wow, hard to believe some of the responses here. I was only naively posting article I saw for information purposes that I thought would be interesting, but instead get trolled by some. This is why I hardly post anymore.
As far as I'm concerned, you can post anything in Car Chat, on any automotive-related subject, any time you want. I can't speak for others, but I'll guarantee you none of my replies will be rude, even if it's something you may disagree with.
Old 02-08-19, 10:36 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

sorry you feel that way but people disagreeing or debating a post is not trolling.
Old 02-09-19, 05:17 PM
rogerh00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post

sorry you feel that way but people disagreeing or debating a post is not trolling.
so one here posting that ...."the OP made a thread bashing BEVs without thinking"..... is just plain wrong. I no where in my post bashed BEV's. I just posted an article from CNBC I thought was interesting. I don't think he even read the link. I don't know what you call it but I don't like being made to look bad for no reason. I thought I was just contributing to the forum. My post then ran down from there. It became an ICE vs. EV slamdown, not what was the intention. I was hoping the experts here would comment more on EV battery tech, oh well.

Old 02-09-19, 05:28 PM
BoDarville
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
I'll guarantee you none of my replies will be rude, even if it's something you may disagree with.
but can you guarantee they will be factually correct?
Old 02-09-19, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
but can you guarantee they will be factually correct?
If someone has reason to question them, I'm willing to discuss it in a civil manner. Sometimes I will change my mind, sometimes not.

One thing, for example, that I stated, that I later changed my mind on, was on my last full-review of a Ford Explorer. I thought, at first, that the present version looked smaller than the former one. A couple of posters said, no, I was wrong, that actual specs and dimensions proved otherwise. I went back, looked at a new and old one again, side-by-side, checked the Ford specs, and, yes, not only were the specs conclusive, but my initial impression was wrong....side-by-side, the new one even looked significantly bigger, especially in width.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-09-19 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-09-19, 06:29 PM
Lexus2000
Lexus Champion

so one here posting that ...."the OP made a thread bashing BEVs without thinking"..... is just plain wrong. I no where in my post bashed BEV's. I just posted an article from CNBC I thought was interesting. I don't think he even read the link. I don't know what you call it but I don't like being made to look bad for no reason. I thought I was just contributing to the forum. My post then ran down from there. It became an ICE vs. EV slamdown, not what was the intention. I was hoping the experts here would comment more on EV battery tech, oh well.
I did read the article it makes little attempt to offer a balanced view. It only takes a few sentences before the stupid starts:
Owners of today's battery electric vehicles found out during last week's cold snap that the range that shows up on their instrument panel is, at best, an estimate that can be impacted by things like terrain and a motorist's driving style.
How is that different than ANY car? And why are they making it seem like this is news to a Tesla owner? Did you read the article and if so it seemed perfectly fine to you? And I'm sure the link at the bottom of the article is a coincidence
WATCH: Why this analyst is cautious on Tesla

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: