Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM expected to start cutting 4,000 white-collar workers Monday

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-19, 12:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default GM expected to start cutting 4,000 white-collar workers Monday

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...rs/2743506002/

GM expected to start cutting 4,000 white-collar workers Monday

General Motors is expected to start its next round of white-collar job cuts Monday, but the carmaker apparently has fewer staff reductions left to make than has been anticipated.

In November, GM said it needed to reduce its North American white-collar workforce by about 8,000. About 2,250 salaried workers volunteered to take a buyout, leaving as many as 5,750 workers still to be cut.

But on Friday a GM spokesman said the automaker had trimmed about 1,500 contract jobs, meaning about 4,000 more staff jobs will be cut.

As to when those workers will be served pink slips, GM won't say, beyond, "We’ve indicated that the involuntary reductions would happen in the first quarter," said Pat Morrissey, GM spokesman.

“We are not confirming timing," said Morrissey. "Our employees are our priority and we will communicate with them first."

Black Monday

An investment strategist who works with many GM employees tweeted Thursday night that the cuts are expected to start on Monday.

Old 02-01-19, 01:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

gotta pay for those retired uaw workers somehow...
Old 02-01-19, 01:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I feel for those impacted. We just went through this at my employer a little over a year ago, but in much larger numbers. It takes a toll on everyone.
Old 02-01-19, 01:13 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Good time to start driving a truck. I saw Walmart was at $86,000. Usually costs about $7k and 4 weeks to get a CDL. Stay with a co. for a year, it gets waived.

I know someone who has been jobless for 3 years now, so I told him, get a CDL. The answer was sorry bro, that lifestyle is not for me.

The great thing about the USA is different things are there if you want it. It may not pay $250k like before, but $86k is still above average and it sure beats greeting people at BJ's warehouse. The other thing that's great about the USA, is to have a choice that I will not do blue collar work, when I used to be white collar, I will watch TV while the kids are at school and wife at work. lol

p.s. my observation is that change is accelerating, and bottom lines are king. the days of having tons of dead weight in the office (I work in an office) seem to be gone. The workforce is getting very young, plenty of people have acne and SR VPs are now closer to 30.
Old 02-01-19, 01:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Good time to start driving a truck. I saw Walmart was at $86,00.
I really do not believe Walmart is paying $86K to drive their trucks.
Old 02-01-19, 01:23 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The perceived shortage is well through 2026. Truck drivers are in a position that Cisco CCIEs were in around 1998-2001. Work anywhere they want.

I do stand corrected, it's not 86,000 as I had thought

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/28/walm...00-a-year.html
Old 02-01-19, 01:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I do stand corrected, it's not 86,000 as I had thought
l
So I just looked up Walmart.com jobs, its says average. You also need to have 30 months prior experience, so no experience necessary need not apply. Then, it says .89 cents per mile, you would have to drive 336 miles per day to make $87,500 based on a 5 day work week assuming you work 52 weeks.
Old 02-01-19, 04:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
gotta pay for those retired uaw workers somehow...
Definitely a factor. Transitioning out of the current sedans is a major factor as well.
Old 02-01-19, 05:48 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be an under paid tractor trailer driver. I imagine that is without OT.

I make $100K as a UPS driver and that's the package car with no special license.
Old 02-01-19, 07:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Here is another article. They are doing these layoffs just before their earnings call.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/gm...loyees-monday/
Old 02-02-19, 06:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
That would be an under paid tractor trailer driver. I imagine that is without OT.

I make $100K as a UPS driver and that's the package car with no special license.
imho you have a much harder job, as you have to accommodate multiple addresses, schedules, and what up to 70 lbs.? A dedicated driver spends all his time in a 180k tractor, they are even autos today or they won't take the job (as are yours I know), and they simply drop and hook, and wait. They don't have to load/unload etc. Just drive. Granted, if they have a route over the GW Bridge, that is stressful. So they compete for best hours and routes. The days of the OTR drivers is long past (in the corp world, we're not talkin owner/operators or brokerage), schedules are regular, routes are regular, home every night. Like driving a bus.

To say underpaid, lol. I hope you were just joking. Also you mentioned 100k with overtime. Dedicated drivers have regular hours, no OT.
Old 02-02-19, 06:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

So I just looked up Walmart.com jobs, its says average. You also need to have 30 months prior experience, so no experience necessary need not apply. Then, it says .89 cents per mile, you would have to drive 336 miles per day to make $87,500 based on a 5 day work week assuming you work 52 weeks.
30 mos. experience, 336 miles per day, what are you trying to say? That a driver doesn't make 8x,xxx? It's neither here nor there, but imho it's worth pursuing for those who don't have a problem with blue collar work. My buddy does, and yes, the pay is a serious cut. But it beats sitting at home if you ask me. Again, that's sort of how medians work, there are some below, some above. Bet WMT doesn't post the mode and mean because it's simply overkill.
Old 02-02-19, 07:26 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

imho you have a much harder job, as you have to accommodate multiple addresses, schedules, and what up to 70 lbs.? A dedicated driver spends all his time in a 180k tractor, they are even autos today or they won't take the job (as are yours I know), and they simply drop and hook, and wait. They don't have to load/unload etc. Just drive. Granted, if they have a route over the GW Bridge, that is stressful. So they compete for best hours and routes. The days of the OTR drivers is long past (in the corp world, we're not talkin owner/operators or brokerage), schedules are regular, routes are regular, home every night. Like driving a bus.

To say underpaid, lol. I hope you were just joking. Also you mentioned 100k with overtime. Dedicated drivers have regular hours, no OT.
Yeah, it is a harder job. Average 150 stops a day, up to 150 lb packages. Still, personally the challenges of driving tractor trailer wouldn't be for me. On the highway it's fine but once you hit the city streets what a pain that is. They do get a good amount of OT at UPS. The feeder drivers at UPS all make well over $100K.
Old 02-03-19, 05:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

30 mos. experience, 336 miles per day, what are you trying to say? That a driver doesn't make 8x,xxx? It's neither here nor there, but imho it's worth pursuing for those who don't have a problem with blue collar work. My buddy does, and yes, the pay is a serious cut. But it beats sitting at home if you ask me. Again, that's sort of how medians work, there are some below, some above. Bet WMT doesn't post the mode and mean because it's simply overkill.
You turned it from average to median, Walmart states the average, there are less outliers if using average in normal dist. Walmart does not say median which implies there are more outliers. I am not saying drivers do not make 87K, what I am saying is that it is far harder to make $87K at Walmart, they state the pay per mile or what is works out to, so we knows its not hourly, to drive 350 miles per day is harder to get than one thinks.
Old 02-03-19, 11:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Have you ever known a truck driver? I have known several. I have a cousin who is a long haul truck driver, and I have other family members who have driven trucks for 30+ years. $87k+ is totally accurate, and 336-350 miles a day is actually light. Drivers get paid per mile, they can work 70 hours or something like that over 8 days, and can drive up to 14 hours per day. You can do the math there and see drivers can drove 500-600 miles a day even.

What John downplays though is the lifestyle. Obviously, you travel a lot...driving is stressful and monotonous, you're away from your family a lot, it can be dangerous. I can totally understand why somebody wouldn't want to do it even with good pay.

Quick Reply: GM expected to start cutting 4,000 white-collar workers Monday