Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Wheel and Tire Protection - Seems like I got torn a new one? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 10:05 PM
murdoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lexus Wheel and Tire Protection - Seems like I got torn a new one? Help?

Greetings fellow Lexus-ers,

I’m not sure where to post this. Figured this would be the place for the exposure I’m looking for and the sort of broad context of the question.

Looks like my story got a little long. Just trying to be thorough. If you read it all, I appreciate you!

So, when I purchased my GS F-Sport I naively purchased the wheel and tire protection. When I purchased, I was told it would cover cosmetic damages to the rims and if the rims were structural compromised they would replace them. The tires they would replace if there’s a nail yada yada.

Fast forward to now, I bring my car in to make a claim. Both driver side tires have bubbles and the dealer discovered the wheels are also bent. My other two wheels have curbage also, so I figured let’s knock it out all at once.

So, now I’m told the only thing they will cover is the two tires. Bent wheels aren’t cover cause they still hold air and the cosmetic curbage isn’t covered cause “chrome” wheels are excluded from the protection package. Apparently the grey color F-sport wheels is actually chrome. To top it all off, the two tires they are willing to replace are mismatched from the tires I have on there, by both size and brand (I have 245/275, they want to put 235/265). They tell me it’s suggested and up to me to replace the other two. Boggled me that they would replace just one and not the pair, even worse make them non matching sets!

Have any of you that purchased this coverage have any issues making a claim? Particularly interested in those of you with chrome or F-sport chrome rims. This whole ordeal has got me pretty upset and I’m looking for more insight on this.

I’ve called the protection claim line, they say they only go by what the contract says. They weren’t really willing to work with me. I called the service rep, he said all he could do was get me a 15% discount through the parts department. I tried calling the finance manager but wasn’t able to get through. I’m so lost as what to do right now, trying to escalate this to someone that can help me out. Just trying to get the coverage I was told I had when I bought the vehicle.

Again if you made it this far, thank you for your time. Any insight and/or advise will help!

For those curious of the dealership it’s at, Newport Beach Lexus in SoCal.

Last edited by murdoc; 01-30-19 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 05:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Again I seem to be the only person who ever admits extended warranties are a rip off and I got zero out of them.

When I bought my BMW new in Dec. 2006, RFT were newer, so the cost of the warranty did not account for that. I bought a 5 year warranty for $390. Everyone told me it's a no brainer, one tire alone is $450. 5 years later, I never had a single claim, nor did I ever scuff a wheel. Of course, 7 years later I got a flat, and I said F it I plugged it myself even though it was a RFT (I would never drive 150 mph with a plug, and it was fine until I got new tires). The forum said that only 3 years later the same warranty was going for $1,100, so it did account for the RFT by then...

edit p.s. btw I tested the system as I always like to do--I called to see what would happen "if" I wanted to make a claim. I could not get through to anybody, and 2 days later some lady called back. She said there would be some form and the dealer or tire shop can contact them to file. THey would be paid by the warranty co's credit card. Seemed like a very primitive process, and this was 2010. But as you can see, they got my $390. When I say primitive, have you ever switched your electric provider to a competitor (we do in PA)? You get the feeling you've reached 5 people in a small rented office suite reselling electricity, bordering on a scam. Or it's how I envision reverse mortgages to work. That's how the tire warranty felt. I do assume it would be worked out, but it wasn't even at the level as a medical claim. I said I think all 4 tires are flat, and she did not flinch. Said get it to the dealer or tire shop and we will work with them. I dunno there's a Bill Kurtis inside of me where I like to investigate things (like when I took my Maxima to 3 different King chain muffler shops in a row, and got 3 estimates from 4xx to 7xx for the same problem).

Last edited by Johnhav430; 01-31-19 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-31-19, 05:36 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by murdoc
Greetings fellow Lexus-ers,

I’m not sure where to post this. Figured this would be the place for the exposure I’m looking for and the sort of broad context of the question.

Looks like my story got a little long. Just trying to be thorough. If you read it all, I appreciate you!

So, when I purchased my GS F-Sport I naively purchased the wheel and tire protection. When I purchased, I was told it would cover cosmetic damages to the rims and if the rims were structural compromised they would replace them. The tires they would replace if there’s a nail yada yada.

Fast forward to now, I bring my car in to make a claim. Both driver side tires have bubbles and the dealer discovered the wheels are also bent. My other two wheels have curbage also, so I figured let’s knock it out all at once.

So, now I’m told the only thing they will cover is the two tires. Bent wheels aren’t cover cause they still hold air and the cosmetic curbage isn’t covered cause “chrome” wheels are excluded from the protection package. Apparently the grey color F-sport wheels is actually chrome. To top it all off, the two tires they are willing to replace are mismatched from the tires I have on there, by both size and brand (I have 245/275, they want to put 235/265). They tell me it’s suggested and up to me to replace the other two. Boggled me that they would replace just one and not the pair, even worse make them non matching sets!

Have any of you that purchased this coverage have any issues making a claim? Particularly interested in those of you with chrome or F-sport chrome rims. This whole ordeal has got me pretty upset and I’m looking for more insight on this.

I’ve called the protection claim line, they say they only go by what the contract says. They weren’t really willing to work with me. I called the service rep, he said all he could do was get me a 15% discount through the parts department. I tried calling the finance manager but wasn’t able to get through. I’m so lost as what to do right now, trying to escalate this to someone that can help me out. Just trying to get the coverage I was told I had when I bought the vehicle.

Again if you made it this far, thank you for your time. Any insight and/or advise will help!

For those curious of the dealership it’s at, Newport Beach Lexus in SoCal.

Well, that sucks.

Unfortunately, it's yet another example of "Don't ever believe what the sales person says until you have verified the written agreement says the exact same thing.".

This is why people hate the dealership--too many bad apples (or incompetence) like this one.

Old 01-31-19, 06:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by murdoc
So, now I’m told the only thing they will cover is the two tires. Bent wheels aren’t cover cause they still hold air and the cosmetic curbage isn’t covered cause “chrome” wheels are excluded from the protection package. Apparently the grey color F-sport wheels is actually chrome.

so --- what DOES the contract say??? do you have it still? did you read it??

LOL, they're saying the grey painted wheels are chrome? - that is 100% BS!

Old 01-31-19, 07:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
so --- what DOES the contract say??? do you have it still? did you read it??

LOL, they're saying the grey painted wheels are chrome? - that is 100% BS!

I've found that as a general rule, the BBB helps when all else fails. Say they claim the rims are chrome and they really, truly, are not. The only time the BBB does not seem to work is when the entity isn't legit to begin with. I bet in this case that's not true. Sure contracts are designed to reduce payouts, as is insurance. But if all we're talking about is chrome vs. not chrome, a pic would solve that immediately--it is, or it is not. Sounds like they're not chrome to me.
Old 01-31-19, 07:09 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That sounds like they’re trying to screw you out of money. It should cover all of that stuff from what I see at the dealership I work at. I don’t know the exact terms since I don’t work in the finance department. Service usually calls the warranty company to approve the claims. If they approve of the work, then it should get replaced.

That’s how I’ve seen it work.
Old 01-31-19, 08:39 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Are these contracts direct from Lexus or dealership "deals"?
Old 01-31-19, 09:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Are these contracts direct from Lexus or dealership "deals"?
The ones I've had are dealership.....they are profit sources to recoup from the great deal a person just got on the car....my then g/f worked with the finance mgr. to sell them to me, it was incredible. I literally said whose side are you on? (she said if you don't get them, I'll get them for you for Christmas hahahahahahaha--tire was $390, "protection package" was $600 but I got them down to $500 because I am so smart--I did get 3 PDR for free and a touchup. A PDR is $120 so yep--I lost)
Old 01-31-19, 09:20 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,500 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The dealership I got mine from promised that they'd cover anything as long as it was road-hazard related, including entire wheel replacements. I paid less than you, however... don't remember the exact number. I've used it to fix curbing and replace a tire so far. I think you'd have some signed contract that details what's covered. Just wave that in their faces.
Old 01-31-19, 09:25 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

the tire and wheel warranty is NOT a Lexus warranty, it is a third party warranty out of Canada, and I believe the dealer is handing you a line of crap.

I bought it for my RCF and I used it to replace the rear tires when they got nails, had no issue with it, also used it to have curb rash fixed on one rear wheel, again not a single issue.

call the company direct:

this is the company website:

https://www.safe-guardproducts.com/

here is their phone:
1-800-742-7896

you can use their file a claim feature directly on the site.

also you can cancel it at any time, they will prorate the purchase price and refund you, when I sold my RCF @ 3 years and 36K miles I got back 74% of the purchase price, even after 3 claims. [/color]
Old 01-31-19, 11:46 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
the tire and wheel warranty is NOT a Lexus warranty, it is a third party warranty out of Canada
I'm betting that not every single Lexus dealer uses the same place tho.

Old 01-31-19, 12:03 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Not at all the same, agreed. imho it's an old business model of reselling a product. Like I get a commission for selling it and once sold, I'm done with it.

For example, PENSKE owned BMW dealerships did not sell BMW factory extended warranties, they sold their own, only. Why not? When one is large enough, insurance and self-insuring, is like shooting fish in a barrel.
Old 01-31-19, 12:15 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

true, but the OP bought his car at the same dealership I did.
Old 01-31-19, 03:01 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Someone may have already said this, but I would talk to the dealership general manager regarding a refund (or partial refund) of the alleged warranty. They sold you a warranty implying at the point of sale that the wheels would be covered. At best, this was a finance guy with a lack of product knowledge, and at worst fraudulent to sell you a warranty for an item that could not be covered. Either way the dealership should make it right.