Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Clint Eastwood drives a 95-97 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-19, 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I think Eastwood is too old to be a baby boomer ...
Yes, Andrew, you have a point. Looking up his bio, he was actually born in 1930...only a couple of years later than the typical WWII generation. I would have guessed him a Boomer. He looks younger than he is....especially when he started doing the Spaghetti Westerns with Lee Van Cleef in the 1960s.
Old 02-04-19, 11:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, Andrew, you have a point. Looking up his bio, he was actually born in 1930...only a couple of years later than the typical WWII generation. I would have guessed him a Boomer. He looks younger than he is....especially when he started doing the Spaghetti Westerns with Lee Van Cleef in the 1960s.
I think he looks quite old in this video...
Old 02-04-19, 11:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think he looks quite old in this video...
Yes, in the posted video, I agree. For a long time (perhaps because of the excellent Hollywood make-up artists) he did look significantly younger than he actually is, but perhaps the make-up artists just didn't get to him this time LOL.
Old 02-04-19, 11:50 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Clint lives in Carmel CA a very small town just south of San Francisco CA, several decades ago he served as the Mayor of Carmel. I googled him and it said he drives a

GMC Typhoon.
Old 02-04-19, 12:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Clint lives in Carmel CA a very small town just south of San Francisco CA, several decades ago he served as the Mayor of Carmel. I googled him and it said he drives a

GMC Typhoon.
That's what he drove in "Absolute Power" when he flies off when the secret service men are chasing him after he robs that mansion.
Old 02-04-19, 02:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
That's what he drove in "Absolute Power" when he flies off when the secret service men are chasing him after he robs that mansion.
The scene in "Absolute Power" when the car goes off the cliff was filmed in a area I used to go fishing for Stripped Bass every spring called "Turkey Point" in Maryland with my uncles. We camped at the exact spot where they shot it and spread my grandfathers ashes there. My grandfather fell down those cliffs when he went fishing there when my dad and brothers were kids.
Old 02-04-19, 02:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
The scene in "Absolute Power" when the car goes off the cliff was filmed in a area I used to go fishing for Stripped Bass every spring called "Turkey Point" in Maryland with my uncles. We camped at the exact spot where they shot it and spread my grandfathers ashes there. My grandfather fell down those cliffs when he went fishing there when my dad and brothers were kids.
Very beautiful scenery. I assume people do jog there and that wasn't just for the movie?
Old 02-04-19, 03:04 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh, may be just a internet rumor. Thinking further I think he had a old '70's pickup he drove around Carmel not to long ago. Carmel is adjacent to Pebble Beach on the coast

Last edited by Byprodrive; 02-04-19 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-04-19, 03:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Oh, may be just a internet rumor
Nope, you can tell it's a Typhoon by how low it is to the ground and frankly, how fast he drives off. Jimmy's weren't quick by any means. I guess I'm that big of a car freak.

http://imcdb.org/movie_118548-Absolute-Power.html
Old 02-04-19, 03:15 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Very beautiful scenery. I assume people do jog there and that wasn't just for the movie?
Not really for jogging where the car goes over the cliff, it is pretty isolated, you need to take trails through the woods which are full of deer, never seen so many deer in my life, to get there and it is not that easy to get to, I don't know how they got cars there unless they flew them in there by helicopter or there is a way in I am not aware of. I never heard of people jogging there, people hike there and of course fish there in the bay but it is tough to get down those cliffs, there are a few spots, but you need to be careful, my grandfather fell down the cliff and got pretty banged up from what I heard but he still fished.
My uncle needed to get permission to camp/fish there at night when we did it and my uncle still got a parking ticket for parking at a area well away from it that most fisherman/hikers use as you can't park there over night. I remember when we were in the tent we kept hearing all these different noises like things walking through the woods, some of it was the sound of waves crashing on the rocks but it was freaking us out, sounded like those sounds they were hearing in the woods at night from "The Blair Witch Project".
Old 02-04-19, 03:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Not really for jogging where the car goes over the cliff, it is pretty isolated, you need to take trails through the woods which are full of deer, never seen so many deer in my life, to get there and it is not that easy to get to, I don't know how they got cars there unless they flew them in there by helicopter or there is a way in I am not aware of. I never heard of people jogging there, people hike there and of course fish there in the bay but it is tough to get down those cliffs, there are a few spots, but you need to be careful, my grandfather fell down the cliff and got pretty banged up from what I heard but he still fished.
My uncle needed to get permission to camp/fish there at night when we did it and my uncle still got a parking ticket for parking at a area well away from it that most fisherman/hikers use as you can't park there over night. I remember when we were in the tent we kept hearing all these different noises like things walking through the woods, some of it was the sound of waves crashing on the rocks but it was freaking us out, sounded like those sounds they were hearing in the woods at night from "The Blair Witch Project".
Yep, sounds about right. It's amazing how movies "trick us". People would be blown away by how many places are Los Angeles made to look like somewhere else. In the end where he's driving the old man around in his Bentley, that's Los Angeles. I used to walk right by that hospital entrance on the hill all the time when I lived there.

My friend literally would not budge and didn't believe me when over xmas when we watched Xmas Vacation I told him that was all filmed in Los Angeles, the house and neighborhood scenes at least. Dead giveaway is you never see anyones' breath.
Old 02-05-19, 08:48 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, sounds about right. It's amazing how movies "trick us". People would be blown away by how many places are Los Angeles made to look like somewhere else. In the end where he's driving the old man around in his Bentley, that's Los Angeles. I used to walk right by that hospital entrance on the hill all the time when I lived there.

My friend literally would not budge and didn't believe me when over xmas when we watched Xmas Vacation I told him that was all filmed in Los Angeles, the house and neighborhood scenes at least. Dead giveaway is you never see anyones' breath.
I swear to god as I reading what you were saying I was about to agree about movies tricking us and write about "Christmas Vacation" and it was shot on a lot in LA and not Chicago/Ohio, then I saw you mentioned "Christmas Vacation". One Christmas we listened to the commentary after watching the movie and they talked about how hot it was, how they brought in fake snow, there was a earthquake while they were shooting it in LA,etc. I was a little disappointed. It is actually the same house on the same lot from "Lethal Weapon" where the Murtaugh's live. They did a great job though in making it look like a nice mid west winter setting in the suburbs. They did shoot some scenes like the sledding scene in Breckinridge CO, the pick up in the beginning that rides Clark's tail is the same pickup Kurt Russel drove in "Overboard".

The one that got me the most was "Seinfeld", always thought it was shot in NYC, could not believe it was shot in LA, they did such a good job making everything look like NYC, they of course use outside shots from NYC but I don't think any of the actors ever shot anything in NYC, same with "King of Queens".
Old 02-05-19, 02:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I swear to god as I reading what you were saying I was about to agree about movies tricking us and write about "Christmas Vacation" and it was shot on a lot in LA and not Chicago/Ohio, then I saw you mentioned "Christmas Vacation". One Christmas we listened to the commentary after watching the movie and they talked about how hot it was, how they brought in fake snow, there was a earthquake while they were shooting it in LA,etc. I was a little disappointed. It is actually the same house on the same lot from "Lethal Weapon" where the Murtaugh's live. They did a great job though in making it look like a nice mid west winter setting in the suburbs. They did shoot some scenes like the sledding scene in Breckinridge CO, the pick up in the beginning that rides Clark's tail is the same pickup Kurt Russel drove in "Overboard".

The one that got me the most was "Seinfeld", always thought it was shot in NYC, could not believe it was shot in LA, they did such a good job making everything look like NYC, they of course use outside shots from NYC but I don't think any of the actors ever shot anything in NYC, same with "King of Queens".
Ha! I knew that one too. I'm totally a dork with movie trivia- movies and cars are my two big hobbies. Overboard is onDemand right now and I've watched it about 10 times, classic. "Stop staring at me...eat your checkers!!!"

And yes, the earthquake in Xmas Vacation was right when Aunt Bethany walks into the house, you can actually see everything shake a little bit.

They did a great job making it look like winter, down to the frost on the windows and everything.

I was never a Seinfeld watcher so I can't comment on that.

Lots of Manhattan/NYC/big city scenes are shot in LA, too. Se7en is a good example.

When I lived there I'd stumble onto movie sets outside all the time in DTLA, they'd just change license plates and use NYPD badged cars.
Old 02-05-19, 02:10 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

WELL! I ALMOST had to wait.

Old 02-05-19, 09:53 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, turned Starz on tonight and guess what was on, "Overboard". Love pretty much everything Kurt Russel is in.

Quick Reply: Clint Eastwood drives a 95-97 LS400