Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus ES350 hits a A+ in ride and cabin noise in A on A

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-19, 01:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The spec-sheet lists F-Sports as 40-series. The one I drove (with a wheel-option package) was not an F-Sport. The base model (which is the one I'd probably get) has 55s, like the Avalon XLE.

It is possible to get comfort and good handling both with low-profile tires (the best example I can think of was the last-generation, hydraulic-steer BMW 335i and its 35-series Sport Package)...but such good compromises like that are generally rare.
Honeslty. I think there is too much discussion and emphasis on series tires and rim size on this forum. I really do. I was surprised to see what ratings were given. Both of my cars have 55 series tires, and my parents Avalon had 45 ratings, 16, 17, 18” rims respectively. I remember my parents ES350 riding not as well with 55s and 17in rims. I think tuning is more important. Tire quality is also of relevance

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-26-19 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 02:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i'm a fan of yuri and jakub of the straight pipes. they are so entertaining while providing great car reviews.
Those guys crack me up!
Old 01-26-19, 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Honeslty. I think there is too much discussion and emphasis on series tires and rim size on this forum. I really do.
Can't speak for everyone, but I don't bring it up just to hear myself talk. In my experience, wheel/tire size/profile and suspension-tuning are two of the most important factors (among others) in determining a comfortable-riding vehicle from an uncomfortable one, and a sharp-handler from a boat. Compromises, of course, are possible, and, to an extent, every vehicle is somewhat of a compromise....that is part of the job of an engineer/ designer.
Old 01-26-19, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have changed it to Mr. Alex.
Hey, call him anything you want...Mr., Sir, Duke, Earl, Count, Prince, King, Your Highness, Sahib.....whatever. Still the best auto reviewer in the business. Doesn't mean I always agree wth him 100%, but I probably do 98% of the time, on 98% of the automotive issues.

Old 01-26-19, 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Like I said, the one I test-drove, with the 45's, was clearly too rough and noisy for my tastes. I'm thinking, though, that perhaps we might both be correct. I usually check tire PSIs before a test-drive, to see if they are within a couple pounds of recommended. It's possible that I just forgot to do so (too much air in the tires), or that there was a problem with the tire-sensing-system on my test car, giving false readings, though it is not likely to have affected all four tires and their individual sensors.
Having driven that same car equipped with 45 series tires I just totally don't know where you're coming from, it road very comfortably. Clearly, Alex who is someone you respect greatly disagrees with you too.
Old 01-26-19, 07:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Having driven that same car equipped with 45 series tires I just totally don't know where you're coming from, it road very comfortably. Clearly, Alex who is someone you respect greatly disagrees with you too.
I explained some of those possibilities in the last post. I may not have properly checked the tires before the test-drive, as I usually do...or there could have been a problem with sensors in my test car. Lexus products are reliable, but they are not faultless.

New vehicles coming off of the transporter are notoriously high on the PSIs.....they do that to prevent wheel-contact on the truck or train-bed when the vehicle or train rocks. The dealer PDI personnel are supposed to bleed them back down to factory-recommended when they are unloaded....they often forget to do so, and I sometimes (on rare occasions) get so involved with other things on the vehicle that I may forget to check the tires myself....hence, an overly-stiff ride.

Personally, though, even if the 45s do ride comfortably than my experience was, I'd still rather have the 55's on the base model....cheaper replacement, probably smoother, and more impact-protection from potholes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-26-19 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 09:17 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

It's definitely not a sports sedan with a B rating on handling. The IS and GS both got As and so did every other RWD based sport sedan on the market.
Old 01-26-19, 10:41 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dunno about this A+, and A or B system he's using. That's all subjective. His noise measurements... scientific? As far as calling him this or that with various "royalty" titles - silly. He's not even a Mr. He promotes his YT channel as a casual, user friendly way to talk about cars/trucks- AoA (Alex on Autos). Catchy and simple. Are we going to get down on one knee when we meet Alex at some automotive gathering? Or call him Mr. Alex, when we shake his hand?

Honestly, he's a YT reviewer. What's impressive about his work is that he is very thorough, completely un-telegenic and dresses absurdly badly for a "tv" "yt" personality. But it seems to work. He's got 20K in just a day, on the ES review. But he's not the only person out there doing reviews.

"Kings" come and go. Elvis died in 1977, and Michael Jackson died in 2009.

Last edited by MattyG; 01-26-19 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 03:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Dunno about this A+, and A or B system he's using. That's all subjective. His noise measurements... scientific? As far as calling him this or that with various "royalty" titles - silly. He's not even a Mr. He promotes his YT channel as a casual, user friendly way to talk about cars/trucks- AoA (Alex on Autos). Catchy and simple. Are we going to get down on one knee when we meet Alex at some automotive gathering? Or call him Mr. Alex, when we shake his hand?
I'm not being literal, of course. Just symbolic of a good reviewer.

Honestly, he's a YT reviewer. What's impressive about his work is that he is very thorough, completely un-telegenic and dresses absurdly badly for a "tv" "yt" personality. But it seems to work. He's got 20K in just a day, on the ES review. But he's not the only person out there doing reviews.
True...but not many do it like he does. And cameras or not,, I couldn't care how he dresses...he can come out in a bathing suit, for all I care, as long as he does the reviews properly.

They were both quite doped-up. I don't think Alex uses anything in that league LOL.
Old 01-27-19, 03:47 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Still no ES in the european market though.
Old 01-27-19, 07:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG

I used to be hard on AoA. A lot members got on me for it, I think you might of been one of them. I think it was everyone's darling the G70 that got everyone up in arms. So I softened my stance a little bit. It's all done for views, he makes his money based on who watches and how many views there are. Then Google slams their ads on or before or during the actual review. I have a deep profound respect for those who have credentials who work in a particular field. But whatever, it's done for entertainment and it was about a car brand that I like and it sort of refutes the notion that large wheels with low profile tires always ride firm etc etc. I have said repeatedly that tuning plays a more significant role than tire and series profile.

His clothing and uniform is done on purpose. Jay Leno wears the same style of outfit. Doug Demuro is even worse. Any good publicity company worth their salt would recommend he find that niche, you want appeal to your demographic. If his demographic was young, professional men, he would not be dressing like that.

Anyways, all of these reviewers are tailoring their reviews to a specific demographic and audience. Doug Demuro recently did a review of the 2019 Rav4, he said he loved it. Well, the bias for him comes in the fact that every year, Toyota sells about 450,000 units, there are a lot of eyeballs in those sales that could become regular viewers. It's in his best interest to praise the Rav4 to attract the eyeballs out there who own current or potential Rav4. Very easy to see through Doug. Ps. He is now branching out to review houses and quirks and features of houses, maybe his car views are down

For what it's worth. AonA does not do very well, his views are not very high, Alex rarely hits 100K views compared to Doug Demuro who very easily clear 1 or 2 million views. So maybe King Alex really was the wrong title to give him

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-27-19 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-27-19, 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For what it's worth. AonA does not do very well, his views are not very high, Alex rarely hits 100K views compared to Doug Demuro who very easily clear 1 or 2 million views. So maybe King Alex really was the wrong title to give him.

Disagree. Best does not always mean most popular.
Old 01-27-19, 09:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

the one I test-drove, with the 45's, was clearly too rough and noisy for my tastes.
even if the 45s do ride comfortably than my experience was, I'd still rather have the 55's on the base model...
you've posted endlessly about your preference for 55 series tires over 45. the WIDTH of the tire affects this also. often the taller tires are narrower, being on the lower end trims.

for example, a 225/55/17 is only .6" bigger sidewall than 245/45/18. a half inch on sidewall is certainly not going to make much difference.

Old 01-27-19, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you've posted endlessly about your preference for 55 series tires over 45. the WIDTH of the tire affects this also. often the taller tires are narrower, being on the lower end trims.

for example, a 225/55/17 is only .6" bigger sidewall than 245/45/18. a half inch on sidewall is certainly not going to make much difference.

Agreed. That is why, in the end, IMO, often only a test-drive can actually tell what kind of result you are going to have on the road. There have been a few (not many) cases where I've been surprised by the comfort of 45s or below, and of the stiffness of 50s and up. Much depends on suspension-tuning and other factors.
Old 01-27-19, 05:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Agreed. That is why, in the end, IMO, often only a test-drive can actually tell what kind of result you are going to have on the road. There have been a few (not many) cases where I've been surprised by the comfort of 45s or below, and of the stiffness of 50s and up. Much depends on suspension-tuning and other factors.
bit, remember that thread you had some time ago about how many linear inches of legroom was available, and I said that the best way to judge was by the seat of the pants?
It's the sames with tires.
Theoretically, the extra sidewall height helps the ride, but at the end of the day, there are so many factors affecting ride including compound, construction, profile and hence stiffness of sidewalls, actual sidewall height, tread width, unsprung weight, tire load and speed ratings, and tire pressures etc - that the best way is to test drive.

For example, I recently tested a Michelin Primacy 3 ST against the Pirelli Cinturato P7 - both sporting luxury touring tires - and I was surprized by how bumpy the Primacies turned out to be.
The Michelin Primacy is actually a hard compound tire, with flexible sidewalls.
On the otherhand, the Pirelli Cinturato P7's are both soft compound, and flexible in the sidewalls.
Thus, the Primacies had a little bit of bumpiness and tire noise from the harder compound.
On the bright side, the Primacies will probably have superior fuel economy, and superior mileage thanks to that harder compound...

Quick Reply: Lexus ES350 hits a A+ in ride and cabin noise in A on A