Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Yaris dead in the U.S. after 2020

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 06:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Toyota Yaris dead in the U.S. after 2020

Toyota announced that they will not market a 2019 version of the Yaris Liftback in the American market. This is not to be confused with the Yaris sedan, which was Mazda-derived and (formerly) marketed as the Scion iA.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/24/...-discontinued/

OFFICIAL

Toyota won’t make a Liftback version of Yaris for 2019

An announcement about the Yaris is planned for New York in April

SVEN GUSTAFSON
Jan 24th 2019 at 10:10AM
  • 4comments

Toyota has opted to not make a 2019 version of its slow-selling Yaris Liftback in the U.S., appearing to end the run of what had been the brand's most affordable car. CarsDirect first reported the news

Whether you call it "discontinuing" the model depends on who's talking. "It's not that we're discontinuing the Liftback for 2019," spokeswoman Nancy Hubbell told Autoblog, but she said that for now Toyota will simply focus on selling remaining 2018s. She also confirmed CarsDirect's report that Toyota will have an announcement about a 2020 Yaris in April at the New York Auto Show.

The Yaris three- and five-door hatchbacks date back to 2007 and are different vehicles than the Yaris sedan, which traces its lineage to the Scion iA sedan and only dropped the iA moniker for 2019. Despite stuffing it with standard safety features like lane departure warning, automatic high beams and automatic emergency braking, the Liftback's base trim starting price is just $16,565 including destination.

But the diminutive hatchback has found itself out of favor amid a buying public looking for larger utility vehicles and high riders. Toyota sold just 1,940 Liftback Yaris models in 2018, down 77.6 percent. Overall Yaris sales were 27,209, a drop of 38.7 percent from 2017.

CarsDirect reports that Toyota had already issued order guides for a 2019 Yaris Liftback before deciding against it, and that 2018 inventory is largely sold out. As Hubbell says, "Stay tuned for New York."

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-25-20 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-25-19, 09:48 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I dont remember the last time I saw one of these around from any model year.
Old 01-25-19, 10:24 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I dont remember the last time I saw one of these around from any model year.
I see tons of the last generation. Yaris's sold quite well from 2007 to around 2010 and went way down hill after that.

No one wants subcompacts anymore, or at least while gas remains cheap.
Old 01-25-19, 11:51 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

My wife's first car was a little Yaris 3 door hatch. It had no power, road noise was horrible, and had some paint quality issues, but she liked it. Not shelling out the $500 or whatever it was for cruise control was her biggest regret because she had some long drives in that buzzy thing
Old 01-25-19, 02:00 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allen K
My wife's first car was a little Yaris 3 door hatch. It had no power, road noise was horrible, and had some paint quality issues, but she liked it. Not shelling out the $500 or whatever it was for cruise control was her biggest regret because she had some long drives in that buzzy thing
Almost would rather take Greyhound over driving those things on a long roadtrip. I had a Tercel with the awful 1.5L and I swore off these little underpowered death traps. I'm sure the Yaris is better, but no, no no, just no. Go get a used 2 or 3yr old Camry or something if you must have a car at that budget.
Old 01-26-19, 03:39 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^Tercel was a tank though. Well built and extremely reliable (300k km+) from multiple owners including my wife and family, and still no mechanical issues.

As for the Yaris, it must be a little more popular in Canada as I see the odd one still in Ontario, more so in Quebec where they love small cars. We even get the fancy two tone!

The Fit or Rio are tops to me in this segment as the Yaris is too dated and looks/feels cheap inside.

Sedan still alive as well but barely see any on the road... For an extra 2K or so, people lean towards the Corolla which still sells like hotcakes here.

Old 01-26-19, 09:27 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Your point of reference is against "normal" cars or even luxury. If you had driven some comparable models from the same years as the Yaris, you would see that the Yaris was very well built, even quite for the class. And they weren't supposed to have power, they were built for fuel economy.

I bought a Yaris sedan in '07 when gas eclipsed $4/gal and I drove 100 miles a day. Drove it 180,000 miles and it only needed 2 minor repairs. Never even needed brake service. Some owners documented over 500,000 miles on Yaris's. I rented a Chevy Aveo of the same era and it felt like a 3rd world country production and made the Yaris feel like a tank.
Old 01-26-19, 11:53 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Damn, I guess the fleet special got axed. Tons of these on rental lots and especially med diagnostic companies. I assume these thinks were built to take it, or else these would have gone out of style quick.
Old 01-26-19, 12:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It's obvious what is working against small cars right now.....besides the usual comfort/refinement issues. In my region, regular 87-octane gas is approaching $2 a gallon. That's dirt-cheap by historical comparison, adjusted for inflation.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-19 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 12:23 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's obvious what is working against small cars right now.....besides the usual comfort/refinement issues. In my region, regular 87-octane gas is approaching $2 a gallon. That's dirt-cheap by historical comparison, adjusted for inflation.
While I agree, fleet use on this vehicle in this time frame is excellent. Low cost, toyota reliability. I assume the fleets sales were really not pushing the needle on these things so AXED. Usually Toyota doesnt axe a vehicle until its really really really past the point where most other companies would not go.
Old 05-15-19, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Since I posted this in late January, 87-octane gas, in the U.S., has risen considerably, to $2.90 or more in some places...perhaps more than that in California and some places in the Northeast. Perhaps cars like the Yaris, though not likely to sell like SUVs, will start to find some popularity again.
Old 05-15-19, 05:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
As for the Yaris, it must be a little more popular in Canada as I see the odd one still in Ontario, more so in Quebec where they love small cars. We even get the fancy two tone!
canada overall seems to like small cars more than the u.s.

omg that's ugly.
Old 05-15-19, 05:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
canada overall seems to like small cars more than the u.s.

omg that's ugly.
Yes. But this one is only truly available in Quebec. Hard to get in Ontario. Ironically my husband pointed out two of these in Georgia this week in the same parking lot. Never seen a Toyota version in Canada.
Old 05-15-19, 07:23 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Yaris Hatchback and Sedan still available in Canada

The Yaris Hatchback and Sedan will continue to be available in Canada, both now based on the Mexican-built Mazda 2. I guess that the outgoing Yaris model, still available in Europe, was getting too expensive for sale here as a subcompact car.

Toyota is borrowing, and rebadging, a Mazda model for its 2020 Yaris Hatchback.

This all-new Yaris will be based on the Mazda2, instead of being built by Toyota as the Yaris Hatchback is now.

The Mazda2 was briefly sold in Canada before it was axed in 2015.

It’s known as the Demio in some global markets, and it already shows up in Toyota’s stable as the Yaris Sedan, which switched to a Mazda2 platform, too, for 2016.

According to Toyota’s consumer website, the Yaris Sedan is currently only available in Quebec. Buyers in other provinces can order one through a dealership but will pay a delivery charge.
Source: Driving.ca
Old 05-16-19, 06:48 AM
situman
Pole Position

Yea the Yaris no longer made sense when the Corolla has more refinement, similar or better mileage and more power for not much more money.

Quick Reply: Toyota Yaris dead in the U.S. after 2020