Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
Genesis GV80 spotted under heavy disguise >

Genesis GV80 spotted under heavy disguise

Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis GV80 spotted under heavy disguise

Old 01-27-19, 10:00 AM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
i know that's what you want, but there's no way of knowing.

if it's
- technologically superior in some ways
- costs a whole bunch less
- rides and drives at least as well
- and remember it comes with free maintenance...

it will make a dent.
Do you think it is possible the Genesis brand could fail in the US market? Like Scion, Ford sedans, GM large sedans, I believe it is possible for Genesis to abandon the US market. The US car market is contracting, the established players are all now filling niches while Hyundai has yet to release a Genesis SUV in any sort of volume. I never see any critiscm of the Hyundai or Genesis brand from yourself, seeing that you are a Genesis owner, your critiscm of the brand is honestly more valuable than your praise. IMO.

Last edited by LexsCTJill; 01-27-19 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-27-19, 12:44 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

hyundai could close the genesis brand in the u.s., but i'd say it's unlikely, because it's not their primary business, and genesis is important for them for other parts of the world too, including their domestic market.

just like nissan has soldiered on with infiniti, honda with acura, etc.

i don't think hyundai would have gone to all the trouble to re-contract a whole separate line of genesis dealers if they had doubts at this point.

as far as criticism of hyundai/kia/genesis, i find their designs overall to be more appealing than most brands, their value mostly unmatched, but on genesis specifically, when i had a g80 loaner not long ago, i felt the interior was not really befitting its market position (felt a bit cheap), although functionally it was awesome. the new g70 looks like a home run, but since it's just now rolling out in the u.s., it remains to be seen how it does in a hotly contested segment already. as you say, they need suv's badly, and they know it. they will have to do something special with them, not just be me too.

i know you're critical of them in terms of sales volume, profitability, etc., but hyundai/kia/genesis combined sells a LOAD of vehicles in the u.s. and worldwide. they've had product mix issues, obviously the dealer fiasco with genesis, and huge competitive headwinds which i think frankly have come BECAUSE hyundai was beginning to threaten honda and toyota. that's the beauty of competition.

if hyunda/kia/genesis fail it will be their own fault ultimately for not reading the market correctly... there's often some luck involved as consumers can change their minds on things for any number of reasons.

as you say, the market overall is changing rapidly, i don't know about contracting, except for sedans obviously... but clearly ride services and eventually self-driving cars will change the market, and the world, profoundly. not sure any auto maker is really 'ready' for all that.

as you probably know, i'm not brand loyal, so if hyundai/kia/genesis falters or fail, oh well, plenty more awesome vehicles out there and coming soon before i'm ready for my next adventure.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-27-19 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-27-19, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
hyundai could close the genesis brand in the u.s., but i'd say it's unlikely, because it's not their primary business, and genesis is important for them for other parts of the world too, including their domestic market.

just like nissan has soldiered on with infiniti, honda with acura, etc.

i don't think hyundai would have gone to all the trouble to re-contract a whole separate line of genesis dealers if they had doubts at this point.
That generally was my first reaction, too. All the recent legal wrangling between the (former) Hyundai and Genesis shops as to who was (and was not) going to be allowed to handle the 2019 Genesis line-up would be absurd if Genesis decides to simply pull up shop and leave the U.S. I don't think that is going to happen......especially with new SUVs right on their doorstep.

on genesis specifically, when i had a g80 not long ago, i felt the interior was not really befitting its market position (felt a bit cheap), although functionally it was awesome.
When did you have a G80? Unless my memory is going, as I recall, you went from a JGC to a G90. Or were you just refering to a G80 test-drive?

Old 01-27-19, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
When did you have a G80? Unless my memory is going, as I recall, you went from a JGC to a G90. Or were you just refering to a G80 test-drive?
sorry, typo, meant when i had a g80 loaner... have edited my post now.
Old 03-12-19, 10:00 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Old 06-07-19, 02:41 PM
Hoovey2411

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Genesis GV80 spotted a second time

Old 06-07-19, 02:44 PM
Hoovey2411

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Compare it to the start of the thread, this second spotting is so low. That better be an air suspension, otherwise no thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Genesis GV80 spotted under heavy disguise

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: