Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2003 LA Times article on quality (Benz and Lex mainly)

Old 07-06-16, 10:18 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
That is not hard to believe if you know some history of Mercedes-Benz cars. It is really only in the last 15 to 20 years, with the proliferation of electronics, that MB cars have been unreliable; before that, MB cars were known for their longevity.
Ehhh... Growing up we had them and I wouldn't say that 80s MBs were at Lexus levels of reliability but what they would do, with proper care, was run forever and hide their mileage. I can remember that after 2 or 3 years back then Cadillacs and Lincolns would start to age. A Mercedes? Nope, not even close.
Old 07-06-16, 04:10 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
Ehhh... Growing up we had them and I wouldn't say that 80s MBs were at Lexus levels of reliability but what they would do, with proper care, was run forever and hide their mileage. I can remember that after 2 or 3 years back then Cadillacs and Lincolns would start to age. A Mercedes? Nope, not even close.
Mercedes, back in the 60's/70's/80's were just built to such a higher standard vs Cadillacs, Lincolns, Imperials, Jags. Body gaps, the way the cars were painted and rust proofed, interior materials(especially those vinyl seats), there was a reason a Benz cost almost double what a Cadillac did back then, you bought quality. 10 years and 200k miles later, your Benz still drove tight, the seats looked brand new, the paint, if cared for looked great, the Cadillac would've been junked long before then.

Also the Benzes back then were simpler and had less stuff to break. The extreme example is an old 240D, no electronics in the engine bay, mechanical fuel pump, didn't make enough horsepower to stress the transmission, rods, bearings, etc There just wasn't anything on that car to break.
Old 07-08-16, 02:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

German engineering is a total myth.

" Mercedes Benz . The best or nothing ". LMMFAO they clearly are not the best and the owners are paying a lot more than nothing . What a joke . Even leasing them will not get you out of those repeated dealer visits. My brother has a gorgeous E550 and it's ALWAYS in the shop and he works from home and only drives 4-6l a year. Mercedes are pieces of **** . The ones who will speak up and deny this are the lucky ones who haven't been burned yet . And BMW can't be the ultimate anything if its ALWAYS in the damn shop .
Old 07-08-16, 04:00 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR

" Mercedes Benz . The best or nothing ". LMMFAO they clearly are not the best and the owners are paying a lot more than nothing . What a joke . Even leasing them will not get you out of those repeated dealer visits. My brother has a gorgeous E550 and it's ALWAYS in the shop and he works from home and only drives 4-6l a year. Mercedes are pieces of **** . The ones who will speak up and deny this are the lucky ones who haven't been burned yet . And BMW can't be the ultimate anything if its ALWAYS in the damn shop .
Current MBs may be crap but prior to COMAND and the proliferation of electronics, they were known to last a long, long time.
Old 07-08-16, 06:16 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR

Honestly, when anyone takes this strong a stance against a brand it discredits them in my opinion. I'm not even saying this because I like MB; there just aren't any truly ****ty luxury brands out there anymore. The 2000s were terrible for the Germans/Land Rover but really it's just not that bad anymore.
Old 07-09-16, 04:42 AM
IS250X13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2005 period was a very good one at Lexus.
Old 07-09-16, 07:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

As this thread is 13 years old and the information is no longer relevant, im closing it.