Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Detroit Auto Show Has Run Out of Gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 06:41 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not any more. That is obviously the purpose of the thread-topic. Of course, some of the companies skipping the Detroit Show also skip the local D.C. and Baltimore shows as well.

Th D.C. show, at least to some extent, is actually gaining some in importance. Part of that is the enormous new-car market here (six times that of Detroit), and partly because the show is being aimed, more and more, at Congress, who, of course, along with DOT/EPA/NHTSA, regulates the industry. That's why the show first moved from Christmas/New Years to late January, and now to April......members of Congress were usually back home in their Districts during the Holiday season, and late January was generally too cold for the outdoor test-drive circuit.
The D.C. show moving to April is a one year thing. Apparently there was a scheduling conflict with the convention center for it's usual late January timing. Should be back to January next year from the organizers I spoke with.
Old 01-22-19, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
The D.C. show moving to April is a one year thing. Apparently there was a scheduling conflict with the convention center for it's usual late January timing. Should be back to January next year from the organizers I spoke with.

Thanks. I hope so. Personally, I prefer it in January, but I do see some advantages to having it in warmer weather.
Old 01-22-19, 10:11 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
That will clash with the NY Auto show. Logistics will be a nightmare if automakers decides to do both. Maybe they might skip Detroit all together if thats the case.
Old 01-22-19, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
That will clash with the NY Auto show. Logistics will be a nightmare if automakers decides to do both. Maybe they might skip Detroit all together if thats the case.

I was thinking that myself. The NY Show, though, is probably a full-international show, more so than the one in D.C.
Old 01-22-19, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I was thinking that myself. The NY Show, though, is probably a full-international show, more so than the one in D.C.
Not probably, it is.