Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what are the consequences of failing to delete bluetooth pairing on rentals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 11:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The 2018 BMW loaner was clearly the latter, and I wish I had tried the '19 Impala but I would think it's also the latter. I think that technology should encompass the user and protect them. Isn't far fetched that rentals are returned in a hurry and the user may not remember to unpair i.e. delete the pairing.

So it would seem the pairing is almost meaningless, but the contacts, maybe maybe not if uploaded. One would have thought that the use thereof would still require an active pairing?

Then again there's a reason why work laptops are encrypted to great expense and effort of IT--because employees can and will lose them. When I lost my laptop at Pearson (hats off to them, received an email recovered in < 24 hours, was surprised), I asked someone but I have a windows login so nobody else can log on, right? The person nearly sprayed with spit as my question was so naive. That's why I am asking too about the BT pairing!

p.s. I also forgot to delete on a 2018 Sienna minivan. Wonder what system that one has. Shucks, and a 2018 Santa Fe and a 2018 Rogue I need to be more careful!
I have a '14 BMW, and mine is NOT the latter. And I have had a '18 X1 Loaner, which was also the former. So I don't think that's right.
Old 01-14-19, 11:04 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some food for thought, although, I do think the title is a little misleading, as you do need some skill to do this.

Car renters beware: Bluetooth use can reveal your private data
Old 01-15-19, 07:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I have a '14 BMW, and mine is NOT the latter. And I have had a '18 X1 Loaner, which was also the former. So I don't think that's right.
rereading your post you are correct, former. Meaning, the '18 330i did not store anything of use to me, even though I could see 5 paired phones. I would suspect the '19 Impala would be the same.

Again, we're not talking Mayflower Madam or anything like that, but if someone were able to extract an entire book of contacts, and are in the same industry, it would be quite a project to start trying to convert the business over. The contacts get through the gatekeepers. I simply cannot imagine (the online articles are to the contrary) that a system would be designed such that contacts are so easily accessed by anybody. Then again, go back to 2007, there were lots of folks who secured their wifi with WEP keys, broken in seconds. Maybe at some point, bluetooth in cars was that primitive, and the online articles are lagging.
Old 01-15-19, 07:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Some food for thought, although, I do think the title is a little misleading, as you do need some skill to do this.

Car renters beware: Bluetooth use can reveal your private data
I bet you that was one of the articles I came across. I wonder if anybody can debunk it bullet by bullet?

Lots of information can be saved when you connect your phone to a car:•GPS history. (if you used built in GPS)
•Device name. (sure Big Daddy's S8)
•Address book. (this is a concern)
•In-car internet search history. (I don't know what this is but the '19 Impala always indicated hotspot connected when starting engine)
•Music-streaming login, such as Spotify or Pandora. (not sure)
•Call log and text messages if you use hands-free calling. (coworker had a 300S on the same trip and he clearly used these hands-free functions--is all this left behind if he did not delete his pairing?)
•WiFi identifiers. (what does this mean exactly, you can't even see previously paired SSIDs yourself in your iPhone/Android)
Old 01-15-19, 09:20 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 471 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I bet you that was one of the articles I came across. I wonder if anybody can debunk it bullet by bullet?

Lots of information can be saved when you connect your phone to a car:•GPS history. (if you used built in GPS)
•Device name. (sure Big Daddy's S8)
•Address book. (this is a concern)
•In-car internet search history. (I don't know what this is but the '19 Impala always indicated hotspot connected when starting engine)
•Music-streaming login, such as Spotify or Pandora. (not sure)
•Call log and text messages if you use hands-free calling. (coworker had a 300S on the same trip and he clearly used these hands-free functions--is all this left behind if he did not delete his pairing?)
•WiFi identifiers. (what does this mean exactly, you can't even see previously paired SSIDs yourself in your iPhone/Android)

Last edited by swajames; 01-15-19 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-15-19, 11:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

But at the end of the day, who cares? If somebody wants my Pandora login and my grandmothers phone number they can have it.