Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California's new exhaust laws (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 07:39 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Angry California's new exhaust laws (merged threads)

Not sure if the ISF community has heard about it yet but starting January of this year, state of California is giving a mandatory $1,000 fine in which you probably have to go to court and most likely visit the state reff for having a louder/modified exhaust. WTF is CA turning into? This seriously boils my head. I have paid every freakin fee this state has to offer and now this new law in effect? SMH...

Here is a video:

Last edited by idoke1; 01-08-19 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Added a video
Old 01-07-19, 07:58 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm really interested to see how hard this gets in forced. California is arguably the largest aftermarket region in the US. SO MANY people put exhaust on their cars, trucks and motorcycles... even those that aren't really "car guys/girls". I can't imagine police pulling people over just for a loud exhaust....unless it is OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD or you are already doing something stupid.
Old 01-07-19, 09:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

It will only get worse over time. I saw this in my crystal ball and left in 2007 for good after 24 years in California.
Old 01-07-19, 09:58 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Please stop spreading FUD. It's $207 for the fine, I would know since I got slapped with this January 1. Either way there is burden of proof on the state (officers) to validate your car being "too loud". I'm going to fight my ticket as there was no decibel reading let alone a visual inspection from the officer. I can't correct something if the ticket is marked non correctable...
Old 01-07-19, 11:07 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is everybody getting this $1000 rumor, nowhere in the law does it say the fine is that much. I saw that one Instagram video everybody is sharing but that seems like the cop is just using scare tactics and gave her a state ref just to be an a******.
Old 01-07-19, 11:21 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan
Please stop spreading FUD. It's $207 for the fine, I would know since I got slapped with this January 1. Either way there is burden of proof on the state (officers) to validate your car being "too loud". I'm going to fight my ticket as there was no decibel reading let alone a visual inspection from the officer. I can't correct something if the ticket is marked non correctable...
if you do fight it, keep us all updated with what happens. The law says you can modify your exhaust as long as it’s not meant to amplify the sound, so you cant just get a ticket solely because your exhaust is modified. I feel like you can easily get away with the “its not a V6 f sport” argument and say the cop had no idea what kind of car he was pulling over.
Old 01-07-19, 11:41 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Doing trial by written declaration. I wouldn't have so much of an issue if he had some sort of evidence but, unless there is some strict training for officers ears to be able to detect a certain decibel level that is out of spec I'm going to fight this. The subjectivity at the officers discretion of what is "too loud" and what isn't is a big problem for me (and everyone really) because it has more implications than just exhaust. This law gives officers carte blanc to write tickets at will and be judge and jury on the spot without any supporting evidence.

Originally Posted by 2010ISF

if you do fight it, keep us all updated with what happens. The law says you can modify your exhaust as long as it’s not meant to amplify the sound, so you cant just get a ticket solely because your exhaust is modified. I feel like you can easily get away with the “its not a V6 f sport” argument and say the cop had no idea what kind of car he was pulling over.
Old 01-08-19, 12:01 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

I remember the old law limit was 95db (which is pretty loud). Not sure how they will be enforcing something so subjective.

Old 01-08-19, 12:17 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

California tree huggiing lobbyist have made Cali one of birth places of car modding into anti car zone. With more and more restrictive laws on book including your crappy 91 octane gas. If I owned any sort of car enthusiasts company it would be time to move to Texas Nevada or Utah. It will become land of Tesla's, Priuss, and SUV.
Old 01-08-19, 12:57 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Doing trial by written declaration. I wouldn't have so much of an issue if he had some sort of evidence but, unless there is some strict training for officers ears to be able to detect a certain decibel level that is out of spec I'm going to fight this. The subjectivity at the officers discretion of what is "too loud" and what isn't is a big problem for me (and everyone really) because it has more implications than just exhaust. This law gives officers carte blanc to write tickets at will and be judge and jury on the spot without any supporting evidence.

Let us know John I have the X Force Varex rn, guess valved are closed atm.
Old 01-08-19, 05:58 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Just added a video...
Old 01-08-19, 06:45 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I received such a ticket in Philly for my Evo. Granted, it is too loud and had an open dump at the time w/no resonators and a hollow muffler. I beat it in court on the basis that no dB readings were taken; I was in an environment conducive to sound reverberation (big buildings); car passes inspection; written letter from a mitsu dealer's service advisor; officer's carte blanche is bs; etc. If CA cops arm themselves with dB meters, there is still a protocol to how readings should be taken (e.g. environment). What a fun law!
Old 01-08-19, 07:32 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

California is only going to get worse with their draconian laws against cars and the ridiculous emissions standards that they have set forth. I think Lance hit it on the head when he saw this coming and he moved out of the state as have millions of others over the past decade or so. Now more people move out of Cali as opposed to moving to the golden state.
Old 01-08-19, 07:35 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Idk which state is worse for car guys, CA or VA?
Old 01-08-19, 07:43 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
Not sure if the ISF community has heard about it yet but starting January of this year, state of California is giving a mandatory $1,000 fine in which you probably have to go to court and most likely visit the state reff for having a louder/modified exhaust. WTF is CA turning into? WTF has Kalifornia become. This seriously boils my head. I have paid every freakin fee this state has to offer and now this new law in effect? SMH...
Fixed it for you.

Like Lance, I left Kalifornia a long time ago. Kalifornia isn't just now turning into anything, it's been this way for decades.

Quick Reply: California's new exhaust laws (merged threads)