Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California's new exhaust laws (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 06:17 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

California sucks. I love the weather. I am not sure I could leave, but have been thinking more and more of moving. It is one bad law after another.
Old 01-10-19, 07:57 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Very entertaining conversation.

I will add, I doubt that we see a housing market pop like in 08. There are much more stringent requirements to get loans. Banks no longer over extend, from what i understand. The main difference is that in 08, people had houses they couldn’t afford and they owed too much on them. Things are stricter now. I don’t say that with authority, but I have read about it.

We are due for a resession, but I doubt it is based on the housing market. The stock market is unstable right now... so that could be our next big depression catalyst.

All that said, I’m waiting for house prices to drop so I can buy a three car garage home!
for most of the country I would agree.

IMO CA is a special case, property values here are very fluid, even in NYC where cost is significantly higher than anywhere else in the US, their housing prices stay pretty consistent, there are pocket of CA, Bay Area, L.A., San Diego, where they fluctuate wildly, there is no logical reason why my home value has nearly doubled in 6 years, when the rest of the country has seen minimal to moderate value growth.

where I live there is minimal housing devlopment, we are shoulder to shoulder here, there is no room to add more, go east 40 miles and it is wide open spaces, and that is where the development is, but then you hit the traffic wall, commuting 40-60 miles to come into the city where the jobs are.

Old 01-10-19, 08:23 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Housing prices in SoCal have dropped a bit over the past few months, although they've surely bounced back from 2010-2011 lows. It's tough to tell what the next recession cause will be...as recent archaic isolationist policies like tariffs, trade wars, etc. are most definitely only going to hamper growth and hurt the economy. But it will be something!
Old 01-10-19, 08:37 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Home values in Indiana are up probably 25% in Indiana. Some more, some a little less.
Old 01-10-19, 08:44 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Home values in Indiana are up probably 25% in Indiana. Some more, some a little less.
25% in 6 years makes sense, 100% - 150% does not.
Old 01-10-19, 09:54 AM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

So what about Harley Davidson's? Those will no longer be allowed? I'm so bitter right now, it's not even funny.
Old 01-10-19, 09:55 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

thanks for the share!
it could be just me but I haven't seen much exhaust tickets given lately, though I don't frequent loud cars as much anymore, nor do I own a car w/ a loud system (still got my greddy on the accord which is well below 95db, I know I checked...at the state referee).

I always wondered if motorcycles are under the same law, and after reading, they are but they are unlikely to be pulled over unless being overly obnoxious.
I do understand their need to be heard as well as seen.
Old 01-10-19, 10:35 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,567 Posts

There's plenty of fast cars that run silently. Loud doesn't mean fast. In the case of the people this new law applies to, these cars are not "Fast cars" and neither is any IS on this forum. lol.

I applaud the new law. As one who did many exhaust things in my day, I learned it wasn't worth it. Was childish and stupid. Why anyone would want to draw attention to their slow car is beyond me. Unless your car runs 12 seconds or faster, you shouldn't be drawing attention to it by illegally increasing the level of noise it makes.

To genuinely fast cars, this won't matter cause such cars are already fast stock and are owned by mature crowds.
Old 01-10-19, 10:55 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,289 Posts

The ISF guys are way ahead of you:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...w-ca-laws.html

Lou
Old 01-10-19, 11:08 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

there are 3 threads on this, and most of the info is inaccurate or highly misleading. There is no defined Fine for it, and whether or not it is a fix-it ticket is at the discretion of the officer/dept. it appears CHP may have made a unilateral decision to make it a fine not a fix it, but I'm betting that gets challenged because the law states that specific requirements have to be met to make it a fine over a fix it.

should be interesting to see how it plays out..

I suspect it will be a b*tch at first for a few months, and then like the cell phone / texting law get dropped by the wayside, unless you are an *** to the officer.
Old 01-10-19, 12:23 PM
Neles
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock ISF exhaust will now be in demand lol
Old 01-10-19, 12:58 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Between expenses of taxes, cost of living, home prices, fires, mud slides, earthquakes, crazy restrictive laws, some shady police depts, CHP, LAPD, All different SHERIFF'S, dept. Is it worth for just good weather. You can get similar weather in surrounding states and not have to deal with half this nonsense.
Old 01-10-19, 01:06 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

People are fleeing California in record numbers, because of the looney lawmakers. Property losing value, taxes getting ridiculous... Many of them are coming here to Texas.
Old 01-10-19, 01:10 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

and yet we still living here and continues to modded cars lolz until we die
Old 01-10-19, 01:11 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,567 Posts

I'm in SoCal and haven't been affected by an earthquake in literally 25 years. Same goes for fire, mudslides, or any of these "shady" police departments you speak of. I'm a car enthusiast, canyon guy, track guy, haven't been ticketed in over 12 years. Why? I just don't act stupid or do stupid juvenile stuff to my car. I did when I was a kid.

I think all this anger, hate, fear is just a matter of people still being in their bro days. You'll get over it as time passes. No need to flog around in a 3,500 street car making burbly noises thinking you're a race car. I like cool fast cars as much as the next guy but rather from the factory -- these loud obnoxious modified cars is a nuisance to the general public. It's especially obnoxious when these cars are decatted spewing toxic S into the air, especially when they're in front of you and your interior has to be filled with that crap. All for what? So a 16 second car can become a 15.9 second car? That's the nonsense here.

Quick Reply: California's new exhaust laws (merged threads)