Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California's new exhaust laws (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 01:08 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I read this with interest as I live in southern California part time. I can't afford to be a resident, way to expensive and yet plenty of people are still moving here. I also have very little liberal blood in me, but I'm amazed at how quickly things change here.

I read the LA Times every week and if you think loud exhausts are an issue, wait tell you see the other legislation taking effect. It is a changing world and I'm betting California leads the way.

Remember this. California is a state with about 40 million people, but by itself is the fifth most powerful economy on earth. They must be doing something right.
Old 01-09-19, 01:26 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenr
I read this with interest as I live in southern California part time. I can't afford to be a resident, way to expensive and yet plenty of people are still moving here. I also have very little liberal blood in me, but I'm amazed at how quickly things change here.

I read the LA Times every week and if you think loud exhausts are an issue, wait tell you see the other legislation taking effect. It is a changing world and I'm betting California leads the way.

Remember this. California is a state with about 40 million people, but by itself is the fifth most powerful economy on earth. They must be doing something right.
sure if you consider taxing their people into poverty and homelessness doing something right.

CA has the highest poverty rate in the nation, 20.6% (6% above the national average) 8.14 million of the 39.6 million people here live below the poverty line (2 adult, 2 child family with an income of $24,036 or less), and 60% living slightly (18.6million people of the remaining 31.4) the poverty line with 2 adult 2 child incomes between $25K and $49K.

the majority of the "jobs" in CA are for low wage work, CA regulation and taxation stifles housing production and job creation.

The only reason CA has a $2.6 Trillion GDP is because of the Movie and Entertainment industry which makes up 22.6% of the GDP and the Computer/Information/Tech sector, which picks up 26%. Retail trade makes up less than 6%, manufacturing less than 9%, and construction 3%, hell even farming here makes up less than 1% of the GDP.

It's pretty easy to become a leading economy when you have a workforce of >15 million because of a population of over 39 million, even if more than 70% of that workforce is living below the poverty line.
Old 01-09-19, 02:48 PM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey all,
I no longer own an ISF but some of the ones I've heard with custom exhaust are no louder than the C63 that I owned. So does that mean that a stock C63 could be pulled over for being too loud though it's stock? Also, I know a couple of people who own Harleys and have modified their exhaust mostly for this purpose: So people can hear them when the bikes are next to them especially on freeways. This will hopefully prevent them from changing lanes and hitting the bikes. I currently own a 2018 E63s wagon and the sport exhaust has a baffle that, when open, makes the exhaust much louder (it's already pretty throaty when closed) so does this mean that this is now also not legal even though it is a factory option? I've lived in CA all of my life and have surfed up and down the coast but my wife and I are giving serious consideration to relocating somewhere else as this state just continues to change and not for the better. Bye the way, as some have already mentioned, if there is no standard and some sports cars/sedans are factory louder than say a 4 banger Camry how can a cop just decide that your car is too loud and issue a citation? This could get messy.
Old 01-09-19, 02:55 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
the majority of the "jobs" in CA are for low wage work, CA regulation and taxation stifles housing production and job creation.
I work in multi-family construction. This is the busiest California has been in years.
Old 01-09-19, 03:08 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
I work in multi-family construction. This is the busiest California has been in years.
yeah the last few months have seen some increase in housing development for sure, just like 2006-2007 before the bubble popped. I am anticipating another pop, as home values here have been artificially inflating again, my home has increased in value over $300K in the past 3/4 years according to all the Zillow/renfin/Trulia type sites, it is almost back to where it was in 2008 before the pop.

In 2008 these sites showed it's value at $700K, in 2012 when I bought it, I got it for $300K, now it is at $625K, I'm guessing 2-2.5 years at most before it goes belly up again. Thankfully I am almost paid off. 2 more years and I will be 100% paid off. maybe faster if we get our profit sharing bonuses back this year.
Old 01-09-19, 03:33 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There's a paucity of reliable information about anthropogenic global climate change. Those claiming a lock on the truth are as unreliable as the folks telling us saturated fats cause heart disease when the truth is, sugar kills. MPG targets are always achievable, but at what cost? Almost as short sighted as saying electrics are the salvation when powering them uses fossil fuels; primarily natural gas these days.
Ain't that the truth. Over half the country doesn't seem to realize that electricity is not a resource.

And over half the country should do some reading on the lipid complex as well to learn how biased the origin of the information is. The same people screaming about McD's using animal fat in the 80s are the same ones screaming about the trans fatty alternatives they themselves put into place.
Old 01-09-19, 03:52 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
As for “global warming/ climate change” be sure to think for yourselves on this one...it is not settled science, as very little science is truly settled and almost all of global warming research is government funding (and the politicians are already bought into global warming, so there is essentially no funding or tolerance of alternative research) of scientists who have staked their reputations and careers on a hypothesis very early on and now have no recourse. I am a scientist and sitting with my peers I would never dare to question “climate change” which on its own is completely against the scientific process. But, I hear arguements from world class scientists about how warm the last two years have been. Two years? Really? I remember 4 winters in a row in the 90s where there was no snow in MD...Not to mention there have been many faults in the scientific process with climate data, embarrassing retractions and corrections in the biggest scientific journals. To be honest, as a scientist it is scary to see this lack of adherence to the scientific process-it’s dangerous.
Well said. Seems that any modern headline that reads "Scientists Say" or "Scientists Discover" is nothing more than fear mongering and/or clickbait. Lots of money to be made & clicks to be had in scaring people. Particularly humanity who suffers from an innate delusion of grandeur that our habits will impact Alpha Centauri. Or the delusion our own science applies in Alpha Centauri. Or the delusion that recycling is a true reality. Or the delusion that years of evolution would lead us to eating stuff that tastes like garbage in order to be healthy.

Sure this has gone off topic but it's a spirited discussion. Anyway, we belong following our instincts, asking questions of what we read & what we're taught, living in moderation & doing what we can to not be wasteful.
Old 01-09-19, 03:56 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
yeah the last few months have seen some increase in housing development for sure, just like 2006-2007 before the bubble popped. I am anticipating another pop, as home values here have been artificially inflating again, my home has increased in value over $300K in the past 3/4 years according to all the Zillow/renfin/Trulia type sites, it is almost back to where it was in 2008 before the pop.

In 2008 these sites showed it's value at $700K, in 2012 when I bought it, I got it for $300K, now it is at $625K, I'm guessing 2-2.5 years at most before it goes belly up again. Thankfully I am almost paid off. 2 more years and I will be 100% paid off. maybe faster if we get our profit sharing bonuses back this year.
I think it will be more of a "correction" than a pop. 2008 was like a depression...lol. As far as construction there are projects locked up for the next 3-5 years. Even in the face of tariffs, increased wages, etc. I'm personally stunned as well.
Old 01-09-19, 06:51 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Ughhh. California sucks so bad... (no offense to any Californians)... I love fast cars and my guns...
Old 01-09-19, 06:53 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Well said. Seems that any modern headline that reads "Scientists Say" or "Scientists Discover" is nothing more than fear mongering and/or clickbait. Lots of money to be made & clicks to be had in scaring people. Particularly humanity who suffers from an innate delusion of grandeur that our habits will impact Alpha Centauri. Or the delusion our own science applies in Alpha Centauri. Or the delusion that recycling is a true reality. Or the delusion that years of evolution would lead us to eating stuff that tastes like garbage in order to be healthy.

Sure this has gone off topic but it's a spirited discussion. Anyway, we belong following our instincts, asking questions of what we read & what we're taught, living in moderation & doing what we can to not be wasteful.
Just published in the Journal Science:

“Researchers from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution and Harvard University have found that the deep Pacific Ocean lags a few centuries behind in terms of temperature and is still adjusting to the advent of the Little Ice Age. Whereas most of the ocean is responding to modern warming, the deep Pacific may be cooling”

Imagine that, the little ice age was in the SIXTEENTH CENTURY and is still likely impacting the climate. And we’re told climate science is settled. LOOOL, that is truly laughable. They can barely predict the weather much less determine what is causing it. In Europe, they are proposing to implement higher carbon taxes on certain breeds of cattle because some fart more than others......oh brother....can you say government power grab. I forgot that the politicians of the world (and CA) are such brilliant, honest people. We should trust them fully, willingly turn over to them all of our freedoms and allow them to decide where our money will be best spent and how loud our exhausts should be, right? 😂.

Hopefully someone will lawyer up on this and have this exhaust nonsense stopped. Unless there is an absolute noise limit, how can you enforce this? I’m sure they will make the ticket just low enough to ensure that 99.99% of people will just pay it rather than pay a lawyer. SMH
Old 01-09-19, 08:27 PM
vertex16
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m sitting here waiting for all the exhausts from California to go up for sale in the marketplace:whistle:
Old 01-09-19, 08:29 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Im just gonna keep driving with my catback on, my exhaust doesnt scream when I floor it anyways.
Old 01-10-19, 12:32 AM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default What's this Cali crap? No exhaust?!?

This sucks!! I have always lived in Cali, and now I want to move. This is some serious BS!!!

http://www.thedrive.com/news/25799/c...ine-you-for-it

https://speedsociety.com/breaking-ca...n-correctable/

A $1,000 dollar fine? Are you freaking kidding me? So your telling me all those stock sport cars are all under 95dbm? This is some serious horse***** created by old farts that drive a Prius to work.
Old 01-10-19, 04:40 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Very entertaining conversation.

I will add, I doubt that we see a housing market pop like in 08. There are much more stringent requirements to get loans. Banks no longer over extend, from what i understand. The main difference is that in 08, people had houses they couldn’t afford and they owed too much on them. Things are stricter now. I don’t say that with authority, but I have read about it.

We are due for a resession, but I doubt it is based on the housing market. The stock market is unstable right now... so that could be our next big depression catalyst.

All that said, I’m waiting for house prices to drop so I can buy a three car garage home!
Old 01-10-19, 04:50 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, this is all BS law.

I hear even the "sport cars" with OEM exhausts see getting ticketed.......I mean if you argue with the LEO....you will end up in jail. So better to just take the ticket and fight it another day in court.

I wonder if the car has an out of state license plate, will this still be enforceable?

​​​​​​
​What am I going to do with my car???​​​​ LOL!!

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
This sucks!! I have always lived in Cali, and now I want to move. This is some serious BS!!!

http://www.thedrive.com/news/25799/c...ine-you-for-it

https://speedsociety.com/breaking-ca...n-correctable/

A $1,000 dollar fine? Are you freaking kidding me? So your telling me all those stock sport cars are all under 95dbm? This is some serious horse***** created by old farts that drive a Prius to work.

Last edited by lexusrus; 01-10-19 at 04:54 AM.

Quick Reply: California's new exhaust laws (merged threads)