Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California's new exhaust laws (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 01:16 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilJoker
People are fleeing California in record numbers, because of the looney lawmakers. Property losing value, taxes getting ridiculous... Many of them are coming here to Texas.
Are you just copying and pasting what you hear/see/read on conspiracy theorist forums/websites? The opposite is actually true if you're into facts and science.
Old 01-10-19, 01:19 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I'm in SoCal and haven't been affected by an earthquake in literally 25 years. Same goes for fire, mudslides, or any of these "shady" police departments you speak of. I'm a car enthusiast, canyon guy, track guy, haven't been ticketed in over 12 years. Why? I just don't act stupid or do stupid juvenile stuff to my car. I did when I was a kid.

I think all this anger, hate, fear is just a matter of people still being in their bro days. You'll get over it as time passes. No need to flog around in a 3,500 street car making burbly noises thinking you're a race car. I like cool fast cars as much as the next guy but rather from the factory -- these loud obnoxious modified cars is a nuisance to the general public. It's especially obnoxious when these cars are decatted spewing toxic S into the air, especially when they're in front of you and your interior has to be filled with that crap. All for what? So a 16 second car can become a 15.9 second car? That's the nonsense here.

exactly me too sir. well said
Old 01-10-19, 01:21 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Are you just copying and pasting what you hear/see/read on conspiracy theorist forums/websites? The opposite is actually true if you're into facts and science.
I deal with title companies and banks on a daily basis and I see where most of the out of staters are coming from.
but there is also this
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/cali...ing-state.html
and this too
https://chiefexecutive.net/business-...uary-policies/
Old 01-10-19, 01:24 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
I'm really interested to see how hard this gets in forced. California is arguably the largest aftermarket region in the US. SO MANY people put exhaust on their cars, trucks and motorcycles... even those that aren't really "car guys/girls". I can't imagine police pulling people over just for a loud exhaust....unless it is OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD or you are already doing something stupid.
Unfortunately so far it's getting enforced pretty harshly. It's too bad the REAL car enthusiasts are getting the heat for the dumb asses that got it to this point.
Hopefully this is a fad and will die down soon.
Old 01-10-19, 01:28 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by yooniverse
Unfortunately so far it's getting enforced pretty harshly. It's too bad the REAL car enthusiasts are getting the heat for the dumb asses that got it to this point.
Hopefully this is a fad and will die down soon.
Imagine getting pulled over and getting caught with illegal exhaust AND a drinking straw... the horror. But at least they are setting up stations where drug users can safely inject heroin. That's gotta be a bonus, right?... lol
Old 01-10-19, 02:33 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilJoker
I deal with title companies and banks on a daily basis and I see where most of the out of staters are coming from.
but there is also this
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/cali...ing-state.html
and this too
https://chiefexecutive.net/business-...uary-policies/
So this is based on people are saying at work huh

Again look at data and facts. Even if true, all these articles are doing is saying "people are leaving the state." They're sensational. People are always leaving XYZ state. They're also always moving to XYZ state. People are always moving to and from places. What you need to look at is the net loss or net gain. In the case of California there is a net gain according to data. In fact a 7 figure gain annually.

Not sure what this has to do with putting a loud muffler on your car. To me, that would make me want to move to a state where they have laws against such nonsense. I live in e quiet safe (in fact safest city in the US) and last thing I want to hear when I get home from work is some jerk buzzing around with loud mufflers rattling my windows. I am shamed that I used to be "that guy" in my younger days. Again it's something you understand as you mature and trend away from your car being the object of your life.

Old 01-10-19, 03:11 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts
Default There is hope

There is hope.

If you get a ticket, DO NOT argue with the LEO. Just accept the ticket and fight it another day at a different time and place. See below......

There is a SEMA-sponsor programallows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued. BAR does not currently issue preemptive certificates of compliance. See the link at the bottom of my post.

Interesting article below:

https://www.racepagesdigital.com/new...ct-vs-fiction/

https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...aust-noise-law

In the above articles, it says:

"RULES CHANGED?
No. Since 2003, exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, may not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May 1998). This was not changed by A.B. 1824.

IS IT NOW ILLEGAL TO INSTALL AN AFTERMARKET EXHAUST SYSTEM ON MY VEHICLE?

No. The sale and installation of an aftermarket exhaust system remains legal in California so long as it does not exceed a sound level of 95-decibels when tested under SAE J1169 and complies with all other exhaust and safety laws and regulations.

IF EXHAUST NOISE LAWS DIDN’T CHANGE, WHAT DID?

Beginning January 1, 2019, a motorist cited for violating the current California exhaust noise law can receive an immediate fine. Previously, motorists received what is known as a “fix-it” ticket, which allowed for 30-days to correct the violation.

WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS IF I GET A TICKET?

Consumers in receipt of a violation still have the option of seeking a certificate of compliance from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) demonstrating that their exhaust emits no more than 95-decibels. This SEMA-sponsored programallows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued. BAR does not currently issue preemptive certificates of compliance.

IF I GET PULLED OVER, WILL I RECEIVE A $1,000 FINE?

According to the Judicial Council of California’s Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedules for 2019, the suggested base fine/fee for a first conviction is $25 with a total fee of $193.

I’VE STILL GOT QUESTIONS?

Please contact stateleg@sema.org?subject=California...0(A.B.)%201824, SEMA’s Director of State Government Affairs.

RESOURCES

CALIFORNIA EXHAUST NOISE TESTING PROGRAM OPEN FOR BUSINESS

The California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) has begun operation of the state’s motor vehicle exhaust noise testing program. The program, the product of a SEMA-sponsored law, will equip California automobile hobbyists to fight unfair exhaust noise citations issued by state law enforcement officers. Motorists can now prove their vehicles comply with state noise standards. The law also allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued.​​​​​​
https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...-open-business

Originally Posted by mjeds
there are 3 threads on this, and most of the info is inaccurate or highly misleading. There is no defined Fine for it, and whether or not it is a fix-it ticket is at the discretion of the officer/dept. it appears CHP may have made a unilateral decision to make it a fine not a fix it, but I'm betting that gets challenged because the law states that specific requirements have to be met to make it a fine over a fix it.

should be interesting to see how it plays out..

I suspect it will be a b*tch at first for a few months, and then like the cell phone / texting law get dropped by the wayside, unless you are an *** to the officer.

Last edited by lexusrus; 01-10-19 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-10-19, 05:50 PM
TRANC3
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

"Won't someone think of the YouTubers?!" - Fartcan exhausts are 50% of their content
Old 01-10-19, 08:45 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m not really sure how loud 95 decibels is but I wonder with the way they test the exhaust if the popular exhausts like Joe Z and the bazooka exhaust would pass
Old 01-10-19, 08:47 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also inb4 all the threads on how to easily register your car out of state
Old 01-10-19, 10:36 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Or just drive the car with a loud exhaust outside of California where people ACTUALLY appreciate a well tuned machine. A few months ago I was stopped by a couple of newly hired/police academy grads where I work (outside of California)
​​​​​with my RCF (Borla exhaust). They wanted to know what kind of car and exhaust I got. I told them and pointed to where I was going to work and they told me have a good day and off I went...... Later on I learned one of the LEOs who stopped me is into modding cars....... Some people know how to appreciate these things.......

Originally Posted by 2010ISF
Old 01-10-19, 10:39 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

So if someone is driving a "loud exhaust car" in California with a Montana license plate....... Is this loud exhaust law still enforceable?

Old 01-10-19, 11:38 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I’m not really sure how loud 95 decibels is but I wonder with the way they test the exhaust if the popular exhausts like Joe Z and the bazooka exhaust would pass

Similar question. What is consider "loud"for our cars?

I have the fsport performance one from factory, I figure it would be a quite one of the bunch.
Old 01-11-19, 04:18 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default California's new exhaust laws

Hello Guys. Just saw a lot of peoples are complaining online about this.

CA. V.C. 27150 (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.(b) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and proper maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. (c) The provision of subdivision (b) shall not be applicable to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.
Old 01-11-19, 04:20 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

For my part, I seem to understand that it will become illegal to have installations that will cut the effect to your muffler, unreasonably loud mufflers+exhausts, straight lines exhausts and muffler deletes.
But this doesn't seem to close all doors. If you have reasonably loud exhaust they should always be authorized ? Am I right ?

Quick Reply: California's new exhaust laws (merged threads)