ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Lexus lying in their marketing? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/908636-lexus-lying-in-their-marketing.html)

Toys4RJill 01-10-19 04:23 PM

Lexus lying in their marketing?

Watching the Leaf game on TV tonight. The new UX commercial shows up, a good commercial. At the they call it a "self charging electric". A big of a play on words by Lexus? Perhaps I heard differently, so correct me if needed. I have noticed Lexus using the works "self charging" far more than ever before.

Sulu 01-10-19 06:29 PM

Is this a big play on words? Perhaps it is, but then again, perhaps not. But that is marketing.

I see it as a reaction to the plug-in hybrid and plug-in electric vehicle craze, and a delayed reaction to the question that Toyota says customers have always asked about its hybrid vehicles: "Do you have to plug that in?". Lexus' hybrid vehicles are electrified vehicles that do not have to be plugged in.

Hoovey689 01-10-19 06:46 PM

Because when you drive a Lexus hybrid it charges itself when you hit brakes or letting off the gas and 'coasting' which is regenerative braking. Kinetic Energy Recovery.

Toys4RJill 01-10-19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 (Post 10406140)
Because when you drive a Lexus hybrid it charges itself when you hit brakes or letting off the gas and 'coasting' which is regenerative braking. Kinetic Energy Recovery.

Not arguing the system. Just how they seem to mislead.

mmarshall 01-10-19 07:34 PM

IMO, I don't think it is false advertising. There are some things about the UX that do not impress me (for those of you who saw my recent review and test-drive)....but I don't see how false advertising from Lexus is one of them. As I understand it, any hybrid (including the UX) with dual gas and electric motors can be considered "Self-Charging". The vehicle either runs on the electric motor, the gas engine when the battery charge gets low, or, in some cases, on both when there is a demand for extra power and strong acceleration. There is no need to ever plug it in. True, Plug-in Hybrids, with gas engines, DO have a charging-plug for a full-electric charge on short hops, but, if desired, will also run like a regular hybrid, and charge itself, without ever having to be plugged in.

Freds430 01-11-19 04:05 AM

No Lexus is not lying about self charging. The hybrid system is absolutely self charging. I have not plugged in either of our RX 450h or Es 300h ever. Can not find the plug in socket anywhere.

situman 01-11-19 06:39 AM

I perceive it as more of a fact. Marketing or misleading marketing would be something like "The Ultimate Driving Machine." Like more ultimate than a Ferrari? More machine than a Ferrari?

JDR76 01-11-19 07:24 AM

It doesn't seem like a lie to me. I've had several people ask me how our Highlander Hybrid gets charged and how often we have to plug it in. Until buying it, I hadn't realized the number of people who don't understand how hybrids self-charge.

bagwell 01-11-19 07:30 AM

IMO, its just a last ditch marketing ploy or play on words get folks to buy a hybrid instead of another branded electric vehicle.

Allen K 01-11-19 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by bagwell (Post 10406461)
IMO, its just a last ditch marketing ploy or play on words get folks to buy a hybrid instead of another branded electric vehicle.

+1 technically correct, intentionally vague

Toys4RJill 01-11-19 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by JDR76 (Post 10406457)
several people ask me.

So if someone asked you if your car is a “self charging electric”. Would you say yes or no?

Toys4RJill 01-11-19 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Allen K (Post 10406469)

Originally Posted by bagwell (Post 10406461)

Makes sense. I don’t think Lexus said the word “hybrid” once in the ad. Interesting that Toyota does have plug-in technology in their Prius.

arentz07 01-11-19 08:06 AM

I agree, but to me, it's intentionally misleading as well. When I hear "Electric", I think "EV". I think most people would as well.

signdetres 01-11-19 08:07 AM

Completely agree. This is marketing to the masses at its finest.

signdetres 01-11-19 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by arentz07 (Post 10406491)
I agree, but to me, it's intentionally misleading as well. When I hear "Electric", I think "EV". I think most people would as well.

This is the view of the auto enthusiast, not the general public, majority of which knows nothing about cars.