Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bose QuietComfort noise canceling tunes out road noises

Old 01-09-19, 10:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Bose QuietComfort noise canceling tunes out road noises

The company announced its new QuietComfort Road Noise Control system designed to cancel all of the sounds that seep in from outside of your vehicle. The technology, branded with the same name as Bose's noise-canceling headphones, is being made available to vehicle manufacturers around the world to provide a quieter cabin experience inside of cars, trucks and SUVs.

According to Bose, its new sound-canceling system uses a combination of accelerometers, proprietary signal-processing software, microphones and the vehicle's audio system to electronically combat unwanted sounds. The accelerometers are mounted to the body of the vehicle and can measure vibrations that create noise. When they sense a potential disturbance, the system kicks into gear to create an acoustic cancellation signal that is delivered through the vehicle's speakers. Meanwhile, the microphones located around the cabin of the car monitor any residual noise levels and help to adapt the signal over time. As your car ages, the system will get better at blocking out whatever new noises might be leaking through.

Bose says it will work with manufacturers throughout the development process to custom-fit cars with the QuietComfort system. The company best known for audio equipment has been dabbling more in cars lately, including building ride-smoothing technology for autonomous vehicles. It expects the noise-canceling technology will be available in production models by the end of 2021.
Source
Old 01-09-19, 11:58 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Don’t know if it will work, but love the concept. I prefer isolation and no noise what so ever (except great stereo).
Old 01-09-19, 01:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

We'll see.

Personally I've never seen any benefit from "noise cancellation" systems in vehicles so equipped I've driven. Our Pacifica has such a system, and I don't see anything specifically quiet about it. I also drove back to back two Grand Cherokees, one a Summit with it and an Overland without and noise levels inside were the same.
Old 01-09-19, 06:16 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Does anyone on Car Chat own any Bose noise cancelling headphones? I see them on sale at the airport.

How well do they work?
Old 01-09-19, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Does anyone on Car Chat own any Bose noise cancelling headphones? I see them on sale at the airport.

How well do they work?

Can't speak for Bose, but I still have my old David Clark set from when I was a pilot. Still works pretty well considering its age. Don't need it, though, in my Lacrosse...it's quiet enough as it is.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-10-19 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-09-19, 11:38 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

How well do they work?
I own a pair and love them. I fly often and use them on every flight. They don't cancel out all the noise, but does a pretty great job. In the office, they're wonderful with tuning out the noise.

One thing I really love about them is the comfort. I can wear them for awhile and not feel the discomfort and my ear doesn't heat up.
Old 01-10-19, 08:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

How well do they work?
i have qc35. i wouldn't get on any plane without them. totally amazing.
Old 01-10-19, 09:13 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

"As your car ages, the system will get better at blocking out whatever new noises might be leaking through."
Like police and fire sirens?
Old 01-10-19, 11:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How well do they work?
Yes, they work great.
Old 01-10-19, 11:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

audiophiles have always told me to defeat all the digital processing and equalization on car audio systems. On my other forum a guy did extensive testing and published what to set everything at, and I have gone with it for 12 years. This is on a 13-spk Harmon Kardon. Never was a fan of Bose but my wife's car and my Maxima have them, as did the '19 Impala earlier this week. Remember when Subarus had McIntosh? Did anyone really believe they were actual McIntosh units? (licensing)
Old 01-10-19, 11:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Digital processing and equalization and noise cancellation are totally different things...
Old 01-10-19, 12:56 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Had the Bose QC 35, noise cancelling is great but the sound quality is average (no highs, no lows...must be Bose). Also, to me they were like earmuffs, could only stand to wear them for 30 mins or so.

Back on topic......the Q400 aircraft that Continental Airlines used to fly I believe had Bose active noise cancellation - I wasn't impressed. Didn't seem too effective IMO....I was like, maybe they didn't turn it on or something?? I later confirmed it was in fact on.
Old 01-10-19, 02:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
Had the Bose QC 35, noise cancelling is great but the sound quality is average (no highs, no lows...must be Bose). Also, to me they were like earmuffs, could only stand to wear them for 30 mins or so.
Agreed, noise cancellation is great, sound quality is so-so. I can wear them for a long time though, they don't bother me.
Old 01-10-19, 04:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

agree sound quality could be better, but the noise cancellation makes flying so much better it's ok. sony makes a direct competitor and there's others now too.
Old 01-10-19, 05:06 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

If anyone is looking for sound quality + noise cancelling get the Sony MX2 or the newer MX3. I have the MX2 and I believe it is a much better all around Headphone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bose QuietComfort noise canceling tunes out road noises