Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Ford Rangers starting to arrive in D.C. area.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default New Ford Rangers starting to arrive in D.C. area.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/ranger/

It's been a long wait, but, as the old saying goes.....paitience is a virtue. Finally, it looks like new Rangers are on the way to the D.C. area (and, I'd assume, the rest of the U.S.), although I wouldn't be surprised if other parts of the country, such as the South and West (especially Texas), with its traditional devotion to pickups, get first treatment on the deliveries. There's a couple showing up now on inventory-sites in and close to the D.C. area, although it's unclear, from the sites, whether they are still in transit or have actually arrived. Some dealers, on their sites, clearly mark vehicles "In Transit".....others don't. Needless to say, I've got several review-requests for this truck.....and one close friend, an ex-co-worker, who is seriously interested, with his checkbook open and waiting. He's been waiting for a suitable Ford replacement for his old 2001 Explorer Sport Trac (which was essentially a somewhat more refined four-door Ranger with a short bed), and it looks like this might be it. I will do a full-review and test-drive when possible, within reasonable driving distance of my house.

And, as always......Happy Truck-Shopping.

MM
Old 01-09-19, 07:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The allocations are popping up here too (PNW). A few around $38-39k but most that are listed are between $42 and $46k. $750 cash back currently shown.
Old 01-09-19, 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
The allocations are popping up here too (PNW). A few around $38-39k but most that are listed are between $42 and $46k. $750 cash back currently shown.
Well......$750 back on something brand-new, hot, and will probably be in big demand, at least for a while? One of the few I've seen advertised here, locally, shows list price (46K) firm, with no discount.

No doubt, though, both the Tacoma and Colorado/Canyon are stiff competition. I agree....I don't think dealerships are going to be able to command full list from very many potential buyers......unless an avid Ranger fan just HAS to have one of the first ones produced.
Old 01-10-19, 10:22 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks like TFL has already done some reviewing of the new Ranger. Seems to be pretty positive

Old 01-10-19, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ford has not (yet), though, given us much of an explanation why we're not getting the Raptor version in the U.S., unless they are just holding back a bit to see how the bread-and-butter versions sell.
Old 01-10-19, 10:45 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I figure there are 2 possible reasons:

1. As you said, waiting to see how the Ranger sells here.

2. The global Ranger is due for a redesign in a year or two, as the current iteration has been out for almost a decade. While the US Ranger is supposed to be altered heavily, it's basically still on the global platform. I suspect they're not going to dump a bunch of money into a US Raptor until the redesign happens. Especially because they'd need a different powertrain for it, as the diesel that powers it abroad would probably not fly here. Here's hoping they release one with a 2.7 ecoboost.
Old 01-10-19, 01:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I figure there are 2 possible reasons:

1. As you said, waiting to see how the Ranger sells here.

2. The global Ranger is due for a redesign in a year or two, as the current iteration has been out for almost a decade. While the US Ranger is supposed to be altered heavily, it's basically still on the global platform. I suspect they're not going to dump a bunch of money into a US Raptor until the redesign happens. Especially because they'd need a different powertrain for it, as the diesel that powers it abroad would probably not fly here. Here's hoping they release one with a 2.7 ecoboost.

Good point on #2.