Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 08:33 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Remote touch is fine. Personally, I prefer the joystick/mouse-style to the trackpad-style RTI because I find that road imperfections cause me to unintentionally move or click more easily in the track pad version. That being said, I've only used it in loaner vehicles - my IS has the joystick. So maybe I need more time to get used to it. I had a rental Camry recently and had to use its touch screen. I didn't like it because any random movement, such as one caused by a bump in the road, could make me fail to press the button I was trying to press. Not only that, I had to lean slightly forward to reach the topmost part of the screen. Kind of annoying at worst, but I still prefer using something like RTI.
Old 01-09-19, 08:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I agree that the Lexus remote as well as the trackpad is not very good. I had in the past in CT and my parents recently had it in their ES350, it was so difficult for them to use it us they actually put a portable navigation system in front of it as it was easier to use. Add in no way to easily turn off air conditioning. Bad idea. New LS you can’t turn heated seats on without the trackpad. Some strange thinking by Lexus IMO.
What baffles me is that many car companies continue to produce interface systems that are widely panned, and criticized as being distracted. The engineers and developers clearly don't have lay people test them out; and then when the products hit the real world, there is just little movement in improvement.

The heated seats--I just don't get it. Lots of other car companies have buried the heated seats in the infotainment system for years, and get roasted every time. But other companies keep following this model.

BMW was the first to get flamed with iDrive--but, to their credit, they've worked it out, and it's really intuitive now.

It's disappointing that Lexus doesn't really care enough to get their systems back to being user-friendly.
Old 01-09-19, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I also don't understand why anybody would want to turn off the air conditioning. Its an automatic system, just set the temp and forget it. Turning off the system makes it humid and muggy in the car.
Old 01-09-19, 09:19 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

I had a 2011 LS with touch screen and now a 2013 with mouse unit. To me, the mouse is a step back, but hey my 2013 LS is an old car for technology. I prefer touch screen and not putting the cup holders in front of the ML stereo unit. Beyond dumb. Recent Lexus enhancements have been a step back IMO. Not long ago, Lexus lead automakers with technology enhancements. Times have changed.

Relentless pursuit of perfection is long gone. Still a great company overall, but other automakers have caught up. Toyota/Lexus taking their foot off the pedal.
Old 01-09-19, 09:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
I had a 2011 LS with touch screen and now a 2013 with mouse unit. To me, the mouse is a step back, but hey my 2013 LS is an old car for technology. I prefer touch screen and not putting the cup holders in front of the ML stereo unit. Beyond dumb. Recent Lexus enhancements have been a step back IMO. Not long ago, Lexus lead automakers with technology enhancements. Times have changed.

Relentless pursuit of perfection is long gone. Still a great company overall, but other automakers have caught up. Toyota/Lexus taking their foot off the pedal.
Interesting comments. Well said.
Old 01-09-19, 09:44 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I also don't understand why anybody would want to turn off the air conditioning. Its an automatic system, just set the temp and forget it. Turning off the system makes it humid and muggy in the car.
depends where you live. I have my fan on always when im in the car but have the air conditioning compressor off unless its a hot day. And even then, do I turn off the compressor 10 minutes before arrival to dry the vents. Doesn't make sense to use more gas when you don't need it.

As for RTI, it won't matter as much when we start having semi autonomous vehicles, though the Lexus system isn't that great.
Old 01-09-19, 09:50 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Touchscreens are nothing but cost saving measures cause it's hell a lot easier to drop in the panel than make ***** and switches. That's why they are coming back big time.

To me touchpad/mmi gives you the ability to stack screen up high right within the road height and muscle memory in your resting hand comes in play then. Touchscreen requires you to lift your hand and hunt pixels.

General problem with Lexus touchpad is static sensitivity, in other words touchpad doesn't correct your finger movement when car is moving nor it takes into considerations road imperfections.
Old 01-09-19, 10:02 AM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

The Enform trackpad in the 18' RC is the first system I've owned. First car with a monitor in it. So, small sample size.
I like the track pad and Enform. Made sense to me from day 1. Would do it again.
I don't understand the bitter hatred it seems to generate for some people. I respect other people's experience, I just don't relate with it.

I don't like the floating turtle things as much that some of the cars have. I don't know why that would be better than a common trackpad that works on devices everywhere.

I strongly dislike the touch screens on some of the rental cars I've been in. They tend to be too far away, always greasy, and lots of glare.

I haven't used any of the other systems people say they like. They may be better, don't know.

I like reviews from experts, but I take it all with a grain of salt. Different people value different things. I like my RC because I can comfortably take 1k mile trips in comfort with good performance. Reviewers that pan it for not being yet another BMW/AMG clone want different things than I do. They aren't wrong, just value different.
Hollywood continues to make massive $$ on movies the critics review poorly.
Sometimes reviewers are right, sometimes they aren't in touch with the everyday person.

I haven't looked a the market/research data to get an idea if people like the trackpad or not. I've definitely heard the noisy critics and posters that don't like it. They may be totally right, and Lexus may be messing this up. I'd like to see some research data though before saying Lexus is totally buggering this up. Are they really loosing sales over this? Not mine.
Old 01-09-19, 10:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mbarron37

How does having the cupholders in front of the stereo unit an issue? I don't think I've ever touched one button on the stereo unit, everything is controlled through the buttons on the steering wheel...

As for Lexus and technology. I have been a Lexus customer since 1998, I have never known Lexus to be a company that leads on technology. Every Lexus I have ever owned has been short on gadgets and features based on the competition. And except for a time maybe around 2001-2003 their infotainment has always been behind, since there was infotainment.

Hell, no Lexus even had a readout for miles to empty until 1998. Our old Aersotar from 1987 had a miles to empty readout.
[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by RXSF
depends where you live. I have my fan on always when im in the car but have the air conditioning compressor off unless its a hot day. And even then, do I turn off the compressor 10 minutes before arrival to dry the vents. Doesn't make sense to use more gas when you don't need it.
Modern AC units use almost no fuel, and its just not the way these systems are intended to be used. They're designed to be set and forgotten.
Old 01-09-19, 10:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

l, and its just not the way these systems are intended to be used. They're designed to be set and forgotten.
Yet, you can remote touch your way to turn off the AC in the a Lexus. Its a cost cutting method by Lexus.
Old 01-09-19, 10:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yet, you can remote touch your way to turn off the AC in the a Lexus. Its a cost cutting method by Lexus.
Why aren't you discussing the fact that there is no hard A/C compressor button in Audis, Mercedes, uConnect equipped Mopar vehicles, Land Rovers, Jaguars, etc? The reason there's no hard button is its meant to be a very seldom used if ever used button. My LS460 has a hard button. Never use it.
Old 01-09-19, 10:31 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
It wasn't that long ago where Lexus made technology that was relatively easy to use. But for the last 5 years, they can't seem to get away from the stupid laptop style track-pad?

The trackpad and confusing menu system is doing opposite of their 'philosophy' highlighted above.
Clearly you haven't experienced the latest Remote Touch which regained it's side enter buttons, and the second generation RTI track pad on Gen10 equipped vehicles which is worlds better than the clunky first generation. It's by no means perfect, but it does it's job. Plus for the most part there are voice commands or physical buttons for most things.

If it makes you feel better. Lexus will overhaul their infotainment system and include touchscreen again supposedly around the time the next generation 5RX comes to fruition.
Old 01-09-19, 10:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Why aren't you discussing the fact that there is no hard A/C compressor button in Audis, Mercedes, uConnect equipped Mopar vehicles, Land Rovers, Jaguars, etc? The reason there's no hard button is its meant to be a very seldom used if ever used button. My LS460 has a hard button. Never use it.
Where is the hard button for the LS460? Yes, all the others should be shamed as well for not having a button to turn it off. A touch screen button or hard button is the same IMO.
Old 01-09-19, 10:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My 2014 IS350 had a physical button for AC as well but I never used it. I just set it on auto and let the HVAC system decide if/when it needs the compressor.
Old 01-09-19, 10:47 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Many of you guys have had multiple late-model cars with a variety of interfaces. All I'm familiar with is the mouse on my 2010 RX. Some thoughts:

(1) I don't think I'd like a touchscreen, especially one where I had to reach over and divert my attention from the road. I'd also think that road bumps would make touching just the right area would be an issue. Certainly a pilot in an aircraft is constantly reaching up to a distant panel to push or turn things. But in an aircraft you have seconds to reach for the button, I think surprisingly in a car you really can't divert attention from the road for very long at all.

(2) It seems intuitive to me that controlling functions while my arm is resting on the armrest would give much greater accuracy and comfort.

(3) I've gotten used to the mouse in my RX, though I still hate the haptic feedback and have it set at the lowest level. But perhaps Lexus found it necessary to use it in order to try to "corral" the pointer during a bumpy ride.

(4) I tried using the touchpad in a 2019 RX loaner last month, thought it was clumsy. But then I spent a whole 30 minutes with it, so perhaps it would become far easier with practice.

(5) Saw my sister use her BMW controller while riding with her a couple of years ago. Dial/push/dial/push seemed clumsy and requiring a lot of attention to me at the time.

(6) To me the coolest implementation would be one that projects directly in front and then watches to see which button your eyes are looking at, at the time of some sort of "enter" physical button on the steering wheel is pressed.

Surely there must be some wonderfully-detailed automotive articles that look at all the various methods of control. Anybody have any particular favorites in mind?

Quick Reply: Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion