Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 08:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Have you ever used remote touch?
yes, i thought it was horrible for two reasons...

1) i found it too easy to overshoot or ‘mis’-navigate
2) the controller/hand rest takes up way too much space.

the newer trackpad takes up less space, and i understand it’s better but i’ve not tried it.
Old 02-10-19, 08:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

So if you use windshield and floor vents, you can split the air temp in my vehicles. Is this what you mean?

No. I was referring to a warm defog/defrost and a cool dash/face-level. That is what you want in summer humidity.

Since Lexus is the thread-topic, that is one reason why I asked Steve if the LS460, manual or automatic climate-control, allowed that set-up.
Old 02-10-19, 08:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
1) i found it too easy to overshoot or ‘mis’-navigate
2) the controller/hand rest takes up way too much space.
1. You have to adjust the feedback force up all the way, that dramatically reduces overshooting and mis-navigating. Out of the box its set to the lowest level with 5 levels in between.

2. This I agree with, it does take up a lot of space.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-11-19 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-10-19, 08:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. I was referring to a warm defog/defrost and a cool dash/face-level. That is what you want in summer humidity.
up.
What cars go face/windshield for the hvac setting? Why would warm air on the windshield be useful in the summer?
Old 02-10-19, 08:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Warm air increases the evaporation rate of water and can absorb more humidity. What's most important is that it be dry air, which is why you need the A/C Compressor on.
Old 02-10-19, 09:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Warm air increases the evaporation rate of water and can absorb more humidity. What's most important is that it be dry air, which is why you need the A/C Compressor on.
how often is this need in the summer? Whereas you need warm air on the windshield and cold air on front facing vents? So bizarre.
Old 02-10-19, 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

how often is this need in the summer? Whereas you need warm air on the windshield and cold air on front facing vents? So bizarre.
You live in upstate NY and Toronto.....not D.C.'s summer humidity, which, in comparison, is like a swamp. Steve can verify how muggy it gets here in the summer. It is extremely humid, with frequent thunderstorms, and sometimes doesn't drop below 70 (or even 75) degrees for weeks on end.
Old 02-10-19, 09:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You live in upstate NY and Toronto.....not D.C.'s summer humidity, which, in comparison, is like a swamp. Steve can verify how muggy it gets here in the summer. It is extremely humid, with frequent thunderstorms, and sometimes doesn't drop below 70 (or even 75) degrees for weeks on end.
we go through the same spells here.

Have you ever seen windshield/face vent on any car?
Old 02-10-19, 09:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

we go through the same spells here.
Not for the length of time we do.

Have you ever seen windshield/face vent on any car?
Not the way I'd like it. But I'm not going to dwell on it any further.....there are a lot of things in vehicle-design that I think could be improved, but that probably won't happen. Not worth losing sleep over....life's too short.
Old 02-10-19, 09:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Not the way I'd like it. But I'm not going to dwell on it any further.....
Not trying to annoy. I was just reading your lacrosse manual earlier. And it's states, any combination of the three floor, face or windshield can be selected. Never seen this on a Toyota

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-10-19 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 10:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Not trying to annoy. I was just reading your lacrosse manual earlier. And it's states, any combination of the three floor, face or windshield can be selected. Never seen this on a Toyota

Thanks, but that's not what I was saying....I don't think you understood. Yes, air can be directed any one (or combo) of three ways.....but its temperature (or A/C content) cannot be varied from one set of vents to another. You get the same-temperature air flowing though any one of a combination of three vents.
Old 02-10-19, 10:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, but that's not what I was saying....I don't think you understood. Yes, air can be directed any one (or combo) of three ways.....but its temperature (or A/C content) cannot be varied from one set of vents to another. You get the same-temperature air flowing though any one of a combination of three vents.
I understand now. At a bi-level it should work this way. For example, mid level on my cars, cool goes up to the windshield, while heat goes to the floor vents. Toyotas cannot do face flow and windshield from what I gather, so your Buick might. Does this make sense?
Old 02-10-19, 10:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I understand now. At a bi-level it should work this way. For example, mid level on my cars, cool goes up to the windshield, while heat goes to the floor vents. Toyotas cannot do face flow and windshield from what I gather, so your Buick might. Does this make sense?

Yes, I've seen the floor-heat/dash-cool setting on some cars before, but not the warm-defrost/cool dash that I'm speaking of. Like I said, though, I can live without it....modern cars have spoiled us enough as it is.

Old 02-10-19, 10:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I've seen the floor-heat/dash-cool setting on some cars before, but not the warm-defrost/cool dash that I'm speaking of. Like I said, though, I can live without it....modern cars have spoiled us enough as it is.
Ok. So give it a shot tomorrow and just look. Some Opel and Volvo models can do the spilt you are referring. Maybe you have an Easter egg you were not aware of.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-10-19 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-11-19, 05:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to dehumidify heat, press A/C
Which, in a car, is what you'd want to do most of the time. Hence, why the AUTO climate control turns the A/C on, leaving it for the driver--such as yourself--to override it, if desired.

Quick Reply: Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion