Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 07:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi

Back in the day this was the dopest AC unit. Damn it's been 25 years ago.
What car is that from?
Old 02-10-19, 07:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You are assuming that everyone thinks like you. Some people do not want to use AUTO. I prefer in the summer the cold to be on non-stop, never changing from the low setting. All that has to be adjusted is the fan speed which I like to control. And the A/C button I can turn or off at will, same with the air re-circulation. The same in the winter, I prefer the setting to be around 18-19c in the car non stop, low setting with splint windshield/floor. I don't want fan speeds to change, or direction flow to change.
I'm not, I'm telling you how AUTO is supposed to work...not whether or not you should use AUTO. According to your picture you had it in AUTO with the air set to 29C, that means you want the cabin temp to be 29C, which my guess is you don't. Whether or not you choose to use AUTO is up to you.

Agreed, but some people just want to do things there own way. I just cannot stand the system using the air speed control on its own.
I understand that, I just don't understand why Toyota would not have turning off the A/C compressor override the AUTO setting.
Old 02-10-19, 07:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
IWhether or not you choose to use AUTO is up to you.
Right, which becomes more needlessly difficult to use in non-AUTO setting in almost all Lexus models with remote touch, for those who want to use the system in manual mode. That is where my complaint is, my parents *****ed to no end about no A/C button and then when I finally figured out and explained to them that they need to go into the remote touch, and do this, then do that, they looked at me with a look that said, "time to ditch this car" it is so needlessly difficult to use. My CT had the A/C button, so does the current IS.

For example, if you go and drive a new Land Cruiser, to change the manual air speed, you have two-step process (1. hit the CLIMATE, then 2 change your speed) but you can still change the air flow with a hard buttom

Contrast that to the new LS500, you can change the air speed, but you need to go all remote touch to change the air flow

Or the ES, you can change both the air flow, and the air speed, but you cannot turn off the AC

The most bewildering, poorly thought out design among the Lexus brand, for those who like using AUTO, all the power to you.

I have no idea how the UX works, I am afraid to look.

I'm not,
It seems like you do.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-10-19 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-10-19, 08:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right, which becomes more needlessly difficult to use in non-AUTO setting in almost all Lexus models with remote touch, for those who want to use the system in manual mode. That is where my complaint is, my parents *****ed to no end about no A/C button and then when I finally figured out and explained to them that they need to go into the remote touch, and do this, then do that, they looked at me with a look that said, "time to ditch this car" it is so needlessly difficult to use. My CT had the A/C button, so does the current IS.
But you have to understand that they intend for customers to use the AUTO feature, and most customers do. If that weren't the case you would have throngs of Lexus owners here agreeing with you about this, and Lexus does focus groups when they make these changes. If customers wanted this level of control they would have it. Most people do not want the same level of control over the HVAC system that you do. I literally have never turned the "A/C" button off in any car until this morning when I tried it in response to what you said. I'm warm in the winter, cool in the summer...comfortable all the time.

Its literally one button to get to a screen where you can turn the A/C off in my LS. I don't see what the big deal is.

I understand that you want more control, but the system isn't designed to easily give you that control, nor are the majority of other vehicles auto HVAC systems. They want you to just let the system do its thing, and most people consider that a feature they've paid extra for...thats why carmakers put that system in their cars.

For example, if you go and drive a new Land Cruiser, to change the manual air speed, you have two-step process (1. hit the CLIMATE, then 2 change your speed) but you can still change the air flow with a hard buttom

Contrast that to the new LS500, you can change the air speed, but you need to go all remote touch to change the air flow
Whats the difference? Its just a swap, its a two step process to change air flow in the LS500 but you have a hard button for fan speed. You press ONE button with the remote touch and you are in the climate screen. Remember again, 95% of drivers are going to let the car choose the airflow.

Or the ES, you can change both the air flow, and the air speed, but you cannot turn off the AC
Which most drivers never do.

It seems like you do.
This is certainly the pot calling the kettle black. We've endured multiple threads now of you arguing with everybody that just because it doesn't work the way you want it to work its a poor bewildering design lol

You simply have a preference here that is not typical. I would suggest that you simply use this as a criteria when you are shopping for cars instead of calling cars that aren't designed the way you want them to be designed a poor design. I and many, many others are very happy with our Toyota/Lexus auto climate control systems...we aren't wrong.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-10-19 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-10-19, 08:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This is certainly the pot calling the kettle black. We've endured multiple threads now of you arguing with everybody that just because it doesn't work the way you want it to work its a poor bewildering design lol
That is not correct. It is an opinion, its not arguing, just like your opinion. Its an interesting discussion. I have seen your point of view on this subject, I do not agree with you at all, to see my parents trade in their Lexus because of needlessly difficult to use remote touch and HVAC was a sad situation. If you cannot see that POV (opinion) without thinking I am arguing we have have nothing more to discuss. I shall move on from you posts in this thread.
Old 02-10-19, 08:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

you're the one who keeps trying to make this personal towards me, not the other way around.

The bottom line of this is that every vehicle has a different approach to their controls. Owning and regularly driving cars from different brands has shown me that. When you get accustomed to those differences, they really aren't a big deal. I can give you a list of things that I think are better implemented in Chrysler's controls than in Lexus' controls and vice versa. That doesn't mean that I can't use the controls in either vehicle, I certainly can. As you have said before, your parents never liked that ES...so they should get rid of it and get something they like. It doesn't mean the ES is a bad car or poorly designed, they just didn't like it. They could have set it so the HVAC screen was always on the nav screen, or on half the nav screen as thats an option for the ES and all of those controls would have been right there.

Once you get used to the controls in any vehicle...its just not a big deal.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i also don't get how the lexus system allows a/c to be turned off in 'auto' mode, which in hot weather basically cripples the system as it can't reach desired temp since ambient air is likely to be too hot to cool the car.
Yeah doesn't make sense to me either. In the Pacifica when I press the A/C button it overrides AUTO.
Old 02-10-19, 09:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

i also don't get how the lexus system allows a/c to be turned off in 'auto' mode, which in hot weather basically cripples the system as it can't reach desired temp since ambient air is likely to be too hot to cool the car.
In my 4Runner, it tells you for best results, when heating, turn on AUTO and turn off A/C. Same for manual operation.
Old 02-10-19, 09:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then why wouldn’t the auto system do that automatically when heating?
Old 02-10-19, 09:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Then why wouldn’t the auto system do that automatically when heating?
I don’t get what you mean? It defaults to AC when you hit auto, then you are able to turn off AC

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-10-19 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-10-19, 10:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Don't read into the 29c, it was set that way before I turned on AUTO.
I don’t know how a temp can be set and it’s not on auto.

And the point is, to ‘warm up the car’ i wouldn’t matter if it’s on 9c, 19c, or 29c as far as how quickly it will warm up.

I just cannot stand the system using the air speed control on its own.
clearly.

Old 02-10-19, 10:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Becuase, as you raise the temp in manual mode, more heat comes. If you look at the Rolls Royce temp dial, you may get what this means to people who are using it manually. My 4Runner has LO- 18-30 and HI
Old 02-10-19, 10:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure what the purpose of having it set to AUTO is if the A/C compressor is also off.

Like I said though, in a frozen climate you should try leaving the A/C compressor on to de-humidify the air.
It's AUTO, but it's not.

By turning A/C off when you are in AUTO, you are turning off the "full" auto; the system will still determine the "optimal" fan speed and vent setting, but you are overriding the system's ability to also determine whether to turn on/off the A/C compressor.

It's like when I ignore my Waze directions because I feel like I know better than Waze does....
Old 02-10-19, 10:55 AM
southernx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus User Interface Lacks Intuitiveness

Lexus User Interface
The only thing that really lets the whole thing down and would stop me from buying one – it’s the infotainment system. It’s painful to use and lacks any ingenuity. Using it on the move is hard and the mousepad style system for navigating the menus is inaccurate and fiddly. If Lexus was to invest in a decent infotainment system, they would literally own this segment, because they’ve done everything else to a high level of style, function and form.

Last edited by southernx; 02-10-19 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-10-19, 10:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The temp is no different than the old-school dial with blue on one side, and red on the other. Now you just know precisely where you are setting the temp. If you turn off Auto, and set the temp, you can pick the fan speed yourself at low-med-high, making it NOT auto.
Old 02-10-19, 11:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by southernx

Lexus User Interface
The only thing that really lets the whole thing down and would stop me from buying one – it’s the infotainment system. It’s painful to use and lacks any ingenuity. Using it on the move is hard and the mousepad style system for navigating the menus is inaccurate and fiddly. If Lexus was to invest in a decent infotainment system, they would literally own this segment, because they’ve done everything else to a high level of style, function and form.
Thanks for joining in and giving your opinion If there were a few redundant controls here or there, would the remote touch bother you as much? Or is the software?

Quick Reply: Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion