ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Lexus human interface issues and climate control discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/908507-lexus-human-interface-issues-and-climate-control-discussion.html)

SW17LS 02-10-19 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10435784)

I don’t get what you mean? It defaults to AC when you hit auto, then you are able to turn off AC

The system should automatically choose to turn the A/C compressor off if it’s true that the most efficient way to heat the cabin is to have the A/C compressor off. AFAIK the system never turns the compressor off, at least I’ve never known it to.

southernx 02-10-19 11:51 AM

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Toys4RJill 02-10-19 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10435889)

The system should automatically choose to turn the A/C compressor off if it’s true that the most efficient way to heat the cabin is to have the A/C compressor off. AFAIK the system never turns the compressor off, at least I’ve never known it to.

Perhaps, a modern Toyota does have this option. My 4Runner definitely does not turn off the AC. It specifically states in the manual the most efficient heating method is to have the AC off.

tex2670 02-10-19 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10435897)
Perhaps, a modern Toyota does have this option. My 4Runner definitely does not turn off the AC. It specifically states in the manual the most efficient heating method is to have the AC off.

Just because it's the "most efficient heating method" doesn't mean that it's the most effective solution over all. In a snowy climate, when your boots are snow covered or wet when you get in the car, heating the car cabin isn't the only consideration. You want to keep the windows from getting fogged up. Turning off the A/C to heat the cabin quicker is not going to address this issue.

Toys4RJill 02-10-19 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by tex2670 (Post 10436102)
Just because it's the "most efficient heating method" doesn't mean that it's the most effective solution over all. In a snowy climate, when your boots are snow covered or wet when you get in the car, heating the car cabin isn't the only consideration. You want to keep the windows from getting fogged up. Turning off the A/C to heat the cabin quicker is not going to address this issue.

So if it is not the best method. Why would Toyota say for best results? I didn’t say it. Toyota did. The whole thing is about the removal of the AC button, clearly the system works with the AC on or OFF. .

SW17LS 02-10-19 04:15 PM

They didn’t say it was the best method, they said it was the most efficient. Meaning it would make the car warm in the fastest way possible, which isn’t always the best way.

Toys4RJill 02-10-19 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10436129)
They didn’t say it was the best method, they said it was the most efficient. Meaning it would make the car warm in the fastest way possible, which isn’t always the best way.

Actually they clearly state. For Best Results.

tex2670 02-10-19 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10436138)

Actually they clearly state. For Best Results.

What does it say about dehumidifying? Again, if you need to do more than just put out heat, then "best results" are relative.

Toys4RJill 02-10-19 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by tex2670 (Post 10436163)
What does it say about dehumidifying? .

If you want to dehumidify heat, press A/C

SW17LS 02-10-19 05:05 PM

Done banging my head against the wall for the day.

mmarshall 02-10-19 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10436167)

If you want to dehumidify heat, press A/C

I strongly recommend this for effective windshield defogging. If the A/C compressor is operated in the defog cycle without some added heat, the cold air from the compressor will chill down the windshield and cause moisture-condensation on the outside, which the wipers will then have to clear. Adding heat to the A/C, as Jill says, will dry out the inside air very rapidly, allowing it to effectively clear off and evaporate the moisture on the inside of the windshield. You don't have to add a lot of heat to the A/C in warm humid weather, which would make it uncomfortable for the occupants inside...just a little heat, or enough to do the job. But don't run full-cold A/C on the windshield to defog it..... that's just asking for trouble.

SW17LS 02-10-19 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 10436174)
I strongly recommend this for effective windshield defogging. If the A/C compressor is operated in the defog cycle without some added heat, the cold air from the compressor will chill down the windshield and cause moisture-condensation on the outside, which the wipers will then have to clear. Adding heat to the A/C, as Jill says, will dry out the inside air very rapidly, allowing it to effectively clear off and evaporate the moisture on the inside of the windshield. You don't have to add a lot of heat to the A/C in warm humid weather, which would make it uncomfortable for the occupants inside...just a little heat, or enough to do the job. But don't run full-cold A/C on the windshield to defog it..... that's just asking for trouble.

To be fair, I’m the one who told Jill yesterday that the A/C compressor dehydrated the air. She didn’t know that until then, so let’s not give credit for ideas where they aren’t due lol

Toys4RJill 02-10-19 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 10436174)

Absolutely if you want to defog the window. But as stated by Toyota, for best results hearing, turn off heat. That is contrary to what others were saying

mmarshall 02-10-19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10436178)

To be fair, I’m the one who told Jill yesterday that the A/C compressor dehydrated the air. She didn’t know that until then, so let’s not give credit for ideas where they aren’t due lol

OK, no problem. I didn't notice that, but I'm not in competition with anybody here....no trying to be. We're all here to help and advise each other. In fact, that's why, years ago, the automakers started modifying the A/C systems to allow heat to be added to the cold air blowing out. When they first started linking the compressor-use to the defog/defrost mode, without the ability to add heat, people were ****ing-up the window glass with outside moisture-condensation. I remember that was a problem in my late Mom's old 1977 Plymouth Volare.....though the very definition of the Volare/Aspen was problems LOL. :D

What I'd like to see is the ability to vary not only the amount and intensity of air-flow through the vents, but also to be able, in warm humid summer weather, to direct warmed/A/C air through the defrost vents for defogging, and, at the same time, have cool air coming out at face-level, in the dash-vents, for driver/passenger comfort. . I don't know if you have that on your LS460 or not, but no car I've owned yet (including the Lacrosse) allows that. It's all the same temperature, no matter which vents you use.

Toys4RJill 02-10-19 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 10436187)
OK, no problem. I didn't notice that, but I'm not in competition with anybody here....no trying to be. We're all here to help and advise each other. In fact, that's why, years ago, the automakers started modifying the A/C systems to allow heat to be added to the cold air blowing out. When they first started linking the compressor-use to the defog/defrost mode, without the ability to add heat, people were ****ing-up the window glass with outside moisture-condensation. I remember that was a problem in my late Mom's old 1977 Plymouth Volare.....though the very definition of the Volare/Aspen was problems LOL. :D

What I'd like to see is the ability to vary not only the amount and intensity of air-flow through the vents, but also to be able, in warm humid summer weather, to direct warmed/A/C air through the defrost vents for defogging, and, at the same time, have cool air coming out at face-level, in the dash-vents, for driver/passenger comfort. . I don't know if you have that on your LS460 or not, but no car I've owned yet (including the Lacrosse) allows that. It's all the same temperature, no matter which vents you use.

Curious to know, what does GM say on how to use your Lacrosse HVAC?